Hey, folks, I don’t think we’ve ever done a formal “artists in our midst” thread, so I wanted to do one today. Show us your photography, paintings, pics, poetry, plays, etchings, or dinosaur erotica. Do we have artists in our midst? Don’t be shy–show us your stuff.
Author Page for bspencer
I toyed with the idea of titling this entry “GamerGate Stew,” but considering how much grossness I’ve subjected you all to lately, I thought I’d be pushing my luck. Let’s forget about the Internet’s Shittiest People ™ for a moment and talk about something lovely–a curried beef stew.
I used to make this stew awhile back, using a recipe I’d found in a slow cooker recipe book. It was nice. It was basically a classic beef stew with some mango chutney and curry powder stirred in to add some heat and sweetness. Last night I wanted to do a variation on this recipe, only I didn’t have any chutney on hand. I also wanted to make a slightly more sophisticated version of the stew–with a little more depth of flavor. I happened to have some dried apricots on hand so I used them as a jumping off point. I made a paste using a few pantry staples, hoping to evoke the heat and sweetness of mango chutney/curry combo.
The finished stew turned out far better than I ever could have imagined.
(Ingredient amounts are vague because I do not cook with precision. I throw things together and hope the finished product will turn out well. They almost always do.)
Curried Beef Stew
- 1-2 lbs. stew beef, dredged in plenty of flour, salt and pepper
- 4-5 carrots, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 large onions, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 tomatoes, cut into bite- size chunks
- 2-3 potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/3 heaping cup of dried apricots
- 1-2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3-4 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
1 cup frozen peas
- In a slow cooker with browning feature, brown the dredged and seasoned beef in oil.
- Meanwhile, make the apricot curry paste. In a food processor, pulse the apricots, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, curry powder and just enough beef broth to moisten the mixture until it becomes pasty.
- Add the chopped veggies to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together.
- Stir in the apricot paste, then add the beef broth.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours or 4 on high.
Add peas a few minutes before stew is done.
I imagine this would be great garnished with a dab of raita or some chopped cilantro, but honestly the stew is so delicious and satisfying, you’ll just be gilding the lily.
I’ve been following Randi Harper on twitter for a couple weeks now because she created a blockbot that blocks many Gators; since then she’s become something of a GG target. Recently she wrote about her experiences in tech, which is both heartrending and inspirational. This was too good to put in a links post; it deserves its own spotlight.
Trigger warning not so much for the post, but for the comments, which are…predictably awful. (Some of them are also awesome. Just read with caution.)
Thanks so much to Origami Isopod for the link.
Rod Dreher is very
titillated by upset about New York Magazine’s interview with a zoophile. Not understanding the concept of consent and the difference between interspecies and human/human relationships, he thinks that this interview is an attempt to normalize zoophilia. This is liberalism in action, folks. You decide to mind your own goddamn business and not worry about other people are doing with their genitals and suddenly everyone’s trolling the zoo for romantic partners. It’s true. I decided that that I wasn’t going to worry about what consenting adults do in the bedroom. Not two seconds later, I stumbled across a man making violent love to a ferret. I know what you’re thinking: NO, it wasn’t Mike Cernovich.
Conservatives too often mistake liberalism for libertinism. I’m a liberal. This means that I’m cool with same sex relationships. It means I’m cool with kink so long as the kink is safe/sane/consensual/etc. That doesn’t mean *I’m* kinky. (It also doesn’t mean I equate homosexuality with kink. The two things don’t have anything to do with each other.)
That doesn’t mean I think all kink is cool and awesome. (I find many paraphilias pretty gross.) The only thing it means is that, being pretty intensely private about my fairly vanilla love life, I like to grant everyone the same right to privacy. In other words, unless you’re hurting someone with your extra-curricular activities, I don’t wanna know about them. It doesn’t mean I dig them or approve of them. It doesn’t mean that when I read an article about horse-fucking I begin thinking to myself “You know what? That sounds all right.”
But I can understand how Rod Dreher–his brain addled by all the hot hamster porn he’s been “researching”–might find these concepts confusing.
#GamerGate has put a spectacularly ugly face on a perfectly respectable hobby. I used to be obsessed with arcades; I was obsessed with my friend’s Atari set. I played everything from pinball to Tempest. Granted, I haven’t played video games since I was regularly rescuing the princess in Mario Brothers, but I’ve always been down with gaming and I hope to get back into it at some point. Gaming is fun; we should celebrate that. In that spirit, now’s you chance to talk about what scratches your gaming itch.
- What are you playing? What are you loving?
- If you were recommend a video to beginning gamers, what would it be? I know there’s a lot out there to choose from, but let’s make this simple: What’s something fun and intuitive you can recommend?
Consider this a gaming open thread. Talk about whatever gaming-related.
It’s inevitable. Someone makes a comment/post about misogynists and someone comes along to say that said misogynists are probably ugly, sad, lonely, loser virgins. Aside from the fact that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a virgin (at any age), this stereotype of misogynists does a disservice to everyone who’s concerned about combatting misogyny.
There are plenty of people out there who are not conventionally attractive who manage to have exciting, fulfilling romantic lives. That’s because people who are not conventionally attractive can also be sexy and interesting and there are plenty of people out there who understand this. Conversely, the idea that all misogynists are ugly, friendless virgins needs to die in a fire because it’s simply untrue. Do I think there is a sizable contingent of #GamerGaters who are…let’s say…lacking? Yes. But not everyone who hopped dick-first into #GamerGate fray is some pitiable shut-in. In fact, some of them are probably serviceable-looking and successful with women. (For values of “successful” I’m saying “able to trick a woman into the sack.”) Let’s stop with the “ugly virgin” trope. It’s not just problematic, it’s inaccurate.
I mean, look, King Caesar is a giant, pantsless cat-dragon and he does just fine.
I watched a few videos by Gamergaters and that general camp that had a bit of anti-woman bite to them. The infamous “five guys” video about Zoe Quinn keeps saying that her sex life is not an issue, but also keeps implying that she is a slut. One guy who made an anti-Sarkesian video talked about how most women these days are “unmarriageable sluts,” in an offhand comment. In my mind, that’s a long way from misogyny. It could just be taking a shot at someone you don’t like, trolling, or venting some frustration. It could be that both guys are frustrated with their love lives. Maybe they simply oppose sexual promiscuity. I don’t know, but they aren’t going on and on about how rape victims often deserve it or how domestic violence is often justified, which is what a misogynist would do. And I’m desperately trying to make a mountains out of molehills here. To leap from a nasty comment to supposing the hatred of all women is to get swept up in the idealist and puritanical thinking I described earlier. People aren’t perfect. They get angry and say mean things. Acrimony between the genders is normal. Men are pigs. Women are gold diggers. Men are liars. Women are sluts. You say tomater, I say tomata.
I’ll pay you a bajillion bitcoins if any of you can make it though the whole thing. Karen?
Feminism encourages women to leave husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians #GamerGate
— Leona Rainha (@Leonasexyseias) November 20, 2014
I’ve seen lots of ridiculous things attributed to feminism, but this ludicrous. I did NOT leave my husband or kill my child. I did, however, leave my child in a liquor store and practice witchcraft on my husband. He is now a lesbian. A lesbian frog. I am working on destroying capitalism, but it is taking more time than expected.
I found this subreddit about leaving (or rejecting) #GamerGate absolutely fascinating. The upshot is that there are no moderates left in GG, which is why it’s becoming increasingly harder to pretend that this is anything more than just a reactionary anti-woman movement.
- You are attending a show celebrating pin-up art.
- You are in your basement playing pool.
- You have recently become a porn director.
- You have recently become a porn actor.
- You are the owner of a bakery that specializes in erotic cakes.
- You are invited to a tacky Hawaiian shirt party which will culminate in a contest to see who has the tackiest tacky Hawaiian shirt and you are not going to let Steve win again.
- You are naked, masturbating to that Woman’s Day magazine with Bonnie Hunt on the cover again and your friend calls and says he is standing outside your house and someone has rudely set him on fire–could you please come and pour some water on him? Not having time to plan your fire-fighting outfit, you grab the nearest articles of clothing…which just happen to be jeans and a shirt with naked ladies on it.
Did you know that LGMer’s frequently email me with links they think I (or you, the readership) might find interesting? Well, they do. And I thank them for that.
- tsam wants you to read about the KKK in Ferguson. Probably because he is a mean person who wants to ruin your lunch.
- N_B wants you to look at this funny video about geek-gatekeeping. Probably because he is a humorless, sex-negative, fatty-fat-fat feminist who is mean and likes to make out with this Andrea Dworkin body pillow.
- Origami Isopod wants you to check out the abortion-positive 1 in 3 campaign. Probably because she is a mean feminist who has gotten pregnant 70 kajillion times just so she could infanticide all her precious snowflake babies. At the very least, she has probably written dinosaur erotica on the topic. “I Had Rex’s Dino-Baby Just So I Could Kill It.”
- A tweep of my mine wants us to see how INCREDIBLY COOL these animatronic dinosaurs are. Probably because he is a nice guy who likes dinosaurs. AND ALSO ABORTING DINOSAUR BABIES.
- I want you to read about #shirtgate because I don’t have time to write about it now. (I will soon.) Please start reading here and here. Uh, I think we all know why I want you to read that stuff. (HINT: I am mean.)
May I tell you what the most amusing thing about right-wing conservatives hitching their wagons to this odious movement is? They have no idea what they’re talking about. They’re not familiar with the details of Gamergate at all. They’re not familiar with its origins. They just know that a bunch of angry boys are “winning” and “standing up” to evil feminists. And, because they’re mindless reactionaries, that’s all they need to know to know which side they’re on. Still more delicious is the the fact the longer this drags on the more obvious it becomes that this was never anything more than an excuse to shit on women.
The comment section is comedy platinum.
That said, it doesn’t matter how many back pats the SJWs give the gaming industry, no one is going to by a video game, the object of which is to have your character curl up in a fetal position after drinking a bottle of cheap sangria, listen to Tracy Chapman albums and weep about how misogynistic society is. “Achievement Unlocked! Unlimited Free Spermicide w/ Titanium Diaphragm!”
Apparently, Gamergate is such an unstoppable force of nature it can time-travel, as–according to this comment–it’s clearly playing out in 1991.
EDIT: I should also add that the “SJW’s” have been making rhetorical mincemeat of the Gaters from the get-go, and that everyone outside its bubble–to include celebrities and celebrities in the gaming world–hates #GamerGate. It is, by any measure, a miserable failure of a movement.