Solidarity

[ 63 ] January 28, 2017 |

15826912_10210152841872046_5336388401884819381_n

We need a lot more of this.

The New York Taxi Workers Alliance has announced on Twitter that it is halting passenger pickups at JFK airport in protest of the dozens of people detained under President Trump’s Muslim immigration ban.

The Alliance announced that it would be halting pickups at JFK from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. to protest reports of at least a dozen people who have been detained in the airport due to the immigration ban executive order signed by President Trump yesterday. One green card holder was released from detainment earlier today.

Of course, I’m sure your local Uber driver isn’t participating….

In any case, the huge protests at JFK are absolutely necessary and vital. And we are getting rapidly to the point where massive civil disobedience and arrests are necessary.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. I have to take issue with one aspect of your post. We’re not “getting rapidly” to that point; we’re already there.

That said, I agree overall.

2. kped says:

Mentioned a few times I’m Canadian. one of my very best friends is a Persian girl who I used to work with in Toronto. Last September, she took an internal promotion to work in Jacksonville, Florida (she has told me the people are nice…but it lives up to it’s reputation…). Anyway…she flew into Toronto Thursday for some dental work. She was supposed to fly back tomorrow…company lawyer told her it should be fine, she is a Canadian citizen after all! She uses a Canadian passport, no problem most likely. Then today happens. She’s in limbo now. The life she started in Florida, the guy she was dating (and discussing having a kid with this year…), all of that on hold. For who knows how long.

And she’s one of the lucky ones! She can still work in Toronto, her family and friends (apart from her serious boyfriend) are all here. But it’s still terrible. I can’t even imagine how this must feel, and again, she’s a lucky one. What about all those people fleeing war zones? the children dying. It’s all so fucking horrible.

3. LeeEsq says:

Good. My issue is how successful this is going to be without the seats in elected bodies. Trump and company are revolutionaries. They don’t care about mass popular resistance. We are just a bunch of traitors to them. They aren’t going to retreat until the loose power and that means loose an election. Republicans are prepared to use any trick possible to avoid that fate.

• Erik Loomis says:

Obviously electoral politics is part of it. But this is how you build toward those electoral politics.

• LeeEsq says:

Maybe. From my reading of the historical record it never seems to translate into electoral politics in the United States though. People really into protest politics, the ones that put a lot of energy into organizing them, seem to be some of the biggest purity ponies and really hate the Democratic Party just as much as they hate the Republican one.

• Hercules Mulligan says:

There is every indication that the 2020 election, and possibly the 2018 one, is going to be, well, rigged. We should work to win them but it is also true that we should train and organize for the possibility that elections will not exist.

• LeeEsq says:

Certain features of the American political system combined with certain geographic factors mean that all American elections are rigged to an extent. That isn’t an excuse. Unless we have people in actual office on the local, state, and federal level than we can protest all we want. It will be to no avail.

• humanoid.panda says:

So, in the last week alone, popular pressure alone made the Minnesota GOP sign off to a law that rebates cost hikes on the exchanges without poison pills, and the Trumpistas had to restore outreach dollars for the exchanges they cut. Both decisions were products of popular pressure alone.

• Hercules Mulligan says:

Where did I say we should not attempt to win elections at every level? We should do that, but also be ready to fight back outside electoral politics.

From this and your above comments, it seems you believe that “popular movements” are formed entirely of Jill Stein voters. This is both entirely incorrect and extremely offensive. And, as Erik says above, every step towards social progress in this country has been the result of popular movements.

4. rm says:

Your local Uber driver at JFK is likely Arab-American. Evil corporation; local drivers just trying to make a living in one of the few cities where Uber driving is not necessarily a money-losing hobby.

I understand JFK is a major port of entry, and that New York is the center of the universe, but how many have been detained at other airports? I found this from earlier today — four green card holders detained for hours at ATL. It sounds like (of course) the officials at the airport are confused and scrambling to know how to follow a vague and unconstitutional order. I don’t see how a green card holder or a dual citizen could be detained legally without specific cause — I mean I understand how, but I’ve got to hope the lawsuits will have a lot of valid grounds.

5. nmgal says:

My favorite sign that I saw (a photo of) from last weekend’s protests was one that said

First they came for the Muslims…

but we said

NOT THIS TIME, MOTHERFUCKER

I had no idea how soon this sign would be exquisitely relevant. Goddamit.

6. BlogWood says:

When Their Shifts End, Uber Drivers Set Up Camp in Parking Lots Across the U.S. http://bloom.bg/2keYnjY

• BiloSagdiyev says:

I wasn’t sure if that headline meant, “They’re forming protest camps tonight”, or “grim article about working conditions.”

It’s the latter, folks. And I strongly endorse this article or event.

The highway is alive tonight
      Where it’s headed everybody knows
      I’m sitting down here in the campfire light
      With the ghost of old Tom Joad

7. humanoid.panda says:

BTW: apparently someone tried to shut down the Airtrain to JFK and Cuomo ordered it to reopen. If we keep protesting, Democratic leaders will have no choice but to jump in front of the bandwagon.

8. nasser says:

Thankfully, the ACLU and others have filed suit. They’re asking not only for an end to detentions of refugees/immigrants, but for an injunction to stop this EO and to certify the suit as a class action.

9. ProgressiveLiberal says:

As i said before, the first dem who promises to have their doj investigate, prosecute, and jail trump gets my primary vote. Fuck this fucking shit and all these fucking racists.

10. ProgressiveLiberal says:

Btw, where is the manual on protesting correctly, because right now “losing my shit in public” is probably what would occur. I am afraid of what i would do/say.

• Rules for Radicals is a good place to start.

• Nick never Nick says:

There is no manual, but there are a few good rules of thumb to remember.

1) you’re protesting as a citizen, representing civic values. Being there is the point; being a witness is the second point; being a moral reprimand is the third point; don’t do anything that puts you wrong with these aims.

2) Your protest may not be successful — when you see it failing, don’t flip your shit. Your behaviour is a comment on your cause. In the most successful example of protesting and civil disobedience in American history, the protestors are remembered for their dignity and calm. Protests and movements take weeks, months, and years to succeed, and sometimes never do. The less successful, equally famous movement, the opponents of the Vietnam war, was tarred by its more frantic adherents.

3) People are going to be deported — you can’t stop it, but it’s a good thing if they realize, later, that Americans tried to protect them.

• DocAmazing says:

4) The police are not your friends. Give them a wide berth. They will behave appallingly and get away with it. Stay out of their reach.
        5) If the protest is of any significant size, there will be spies and provocateurs. Beware people who suggest stupid things, and do not say anything you wouldn’t speak out loud in a police station.

11. humanoid.panda says:

A judge just stayed the atrocity.

12. CrunchyFrog says:

I’d like to see this poster modified to have three guys. The first guy, before the Nazi, should be a confederate soldier.

Seems we’re always fighting Nazis – the same evil people regardless of what they call themselves in the current century.