A Surprising Transfer of Power in Russia

[ 16 ] September 24, 2011 |

isn’t happening.  I, for one, am shocked.

1. J. Otto Pohl says:

I hear there was gambling in Casablanca in the 40s too.

2. c u n d gulag says:

Putin just needs to stop all of this pretending about democracy bullshit, and after he wins the next election, get himself named “Tsar Of All the Russia’s.”

Tsar Vlad.

If he poses shirtless a few more times, or in action poses hunting or doing martial arts, our right-wing gay-hating Keyboard Kommando’s will swoon and write ode’s to Vlad and his manly-man muscles, and how they wish he could take on Obama in the next election.

• firefall says:

I thought they had already?

• dave brockington says:

One of the classes I designed for my programme here in England is “Comparative Democracies” — a bog standard intro to comparative class. Four dimensions of governance and society, four democracies, cases selected based on a 2×2 matrix. Russia were one of the said democracies, until about three years ago. I relegated Russia, and replaced it with France.

I didn’t send Putin the memo however. I like being alive.

3. What?!?

Next you’ll tell that Robert Kraft didn’t actually give Putin his Superbowl ring as a gift.

4. Charlie Sweatpants says:

The more uncertain question is what happens to Medvedev. Sure he gets to be Prime Minister now, but it’ll be interesting to see how long that lasts once Putin has his hands directly on the levers of power again.

5. RepubAnon says:

Ah, term limits – the solution to everything!

6. virag says:

speculation? what speculation? you have to admire the efficiency of it all. he didn’t need to run his idiot son, his wife or his evil clone. he simply followed the letter of the law. easy peasy.

7. John Casey says:

Well, we do things better here, which is to say, George W. Bush can never, ever, ever be President of the US again.

Of course, nothing’s stopping Dick Cheney.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

• Alan Tomlinson says:

I think Cheney’s LVAD might keep him away from running for POTUS.

On the other hand, perhaps Rick “Goodhair” Perry will go to Russia, look into Putin’s soul, and “see” what a great guy he is.

Honestly, can we just say that the GOP has left the building, and the guys and girls who are still there are just fucking totally nuts?

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

8. lige says:

So basically the whole Putin Medevyev deal was just a work like a professional wrestling angle. Makes some sense and it’s nice that they are making the effort to make it seem like something like a democratic process is happening.