The Little Brown One

[ 42 ] March 12, 2013 |

And so begins the fourth generation:

George P. Bush, the eldest son of former Florida governor Jeb Bush and nephew of former president George W. Bush, is running for Texas land commissioner in 2014.

Bush had already announced that he intended to run for statewide office. The 36-year-old lawyer and Naval Reserve lawyer has been raising money across the state. But there was some speculation that he would challenge Gov. Rick Perry in the Republican primary.

The co-founder of the political action committee Hispanic Republicans of Texas, Bush is among those arguing that the GOP can reach out to Latino voters with new faces, not a new party doctrine.

This is one of the most powerful offices in the state and has long been seen as a stepping stone to a greater political career. I can’t tell you how excited I am about the inevitable George P. Bush 2028 presidential run.

1. Hogan says:

A lawyer AND a Naval Reserve lawyer? Wow.

• allium says:

It depends on whether or not there’s a gold fringe on the courtroom flag, and/or fluoride in the water cooler out in the hall.

2. chris says:

Good thing Latinos aren’t as dumb as Bush thinks they are.

• JoyfulA says:

At least they’re not running another Cuban to appeal to Dominicans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and Chileans!

(The spellcheck wanted me to change “Puerto” to “Ruperto.” Huh?)

3. Woodrowfan says:

can we have a new constitutional amendment forbidding any member of the Bush family from running for any elected office ever again? I am will, in the spirit of bipartisanship, to add the Kennedys to that.

4. JoyfulA says:

Is this the one of Jeb!’s sons that broke his girlfriend’s window when she broke up with him? I recall reading that all of Jeb!’s children had legal problems of one kind or another that would keep them all out of office. I was relieved. Now I’m not.

• commie atheist says:

Just a little youthful breaking and entering, and tearing up the lawn with his car. Nothing out of the ordinary for drunken 18-year-olds. Oh, and charges dropped, of course.

• JoyfulA says:

Thanks! I’m relieved that my memory is good. I’m upset that none of the big-time news stories about Texas politics and him mentioned his criminal past.

Maybe we should all hit the Texas newspaper comments sections with that story along about next October.

5. Amanda in the South Bay says:

I remember reading how GP Bush wanted to serve after 9/11, and instead of joining the Army or Marines, got a really cushy Naval Intelligence gig (I thought he was intel, not JAG). Anyways, it was like a two week class, then poof, he was an officer. Now that’s a sweet gig. What a chickenshit.

• efgoldman says:

Like Uncle W, like nephew…

• Chet Manly says:

He may be an intel lawyer and not JAG. There are a a fair number of lawyers in intel now since cyber operations have come of age in the last decade. The laws are all different for active-duty military, guards and reserves, civilian agencies, and contractors. They need lawyers for each situation to let them know what they’re allowed to do, what they’re obligated to do, what information they’re allowed to share, etc.

6. DrDick says:

This post just made me throw up a little in my mouth.

7. MAJeff says:

So, keep appealing to the crackers, but with brown faces. Can’t see any way that could fail.

8. montag says:

Once again, with feeling: the Bush family motto is “public service for private gain.”

I’m betting that George P. has been taking plenty of lessons from Unca Little Boots, Unca Blam-Blam and Unca Neil on how to grift the office.

9. jim, some guy in iowa says:

does the bush family still have a good name in texas? i was hoping not

10. rea says:

He’ll be well-placed to succeed his father in 2024 . . .

(In the Multiverse, there are an infinite number of worlds in which that really happens. Hopefully, this is not one of them.)

11. FLRealist says:

Well, at least he’s starting in Texas. We certainly don’t need him here in Florida – we’re plenty screwed up as it is!

• elm says:

I’m sorry, but a Bush–any Bush, even W–would be a step up for us from Lex Luthor. It takes a special politician to make me pine for the days of Jeb.

12. Sly says:

There was an article in the WaPo about ten years ago (I can never seem to find it due to WaPo’s terrible archive search engine) about a group of conservatives led by Armstrong Williams who thought the best way to reach out to African-American voters was to have more black staffers on Capitol Hill. When asked if they recommended any policy changes to address the political interests of African-Americans, Williams asked (paraphrasing), “Why should we do that?” The tone heavily suggested it was an honest question.

So I’m not sure whether the conscious decision not to change “party doctrine” and a full-throated embrace of tokenism is an improvement per se, but its… something. Kinda. I guess.

13. Western Dave says:

The Bushes, all of the arrogance of the Adamses with none of the literary talent.

14. Alicia Hayle says:

I think his organization’s name is missing a word that starts with U, any guesses?

Hispanic
    U…?
    Republicans of
    Texas

15. timb says:

When he elected President, can someone promise me we can call him George the Third?

16. Bernard says:

so we have to wait until then? 2028? Gosh, isn’t that a little far off. what with 2016 and no Big name R’s out there. Texas really does hate America, and plans for such revenge no one could have imagined. Even Machiavelli sounds a whole lot better than any Bush could be, no matter what Jeb says.

Gosh, 3rd world banana republics must be heavens compared to what is in store for America!

i think any social upheavel would be better than any Bush or Clinton or US Senator in the White House. Can’t we use the embalmed body of Chavez as Pres,? that’s got to be a lot better than any living leader America has now!

• c u n d gulag says:

If I’m still alive, in 2028 I’ll be 70.
      On Election Day, I’ll vote against another Bush.

And if he wins, it’ll be a good age to commit suicide.

May as well get it over quickly – why stretch out the inevitable?

17. Dan mulligan says:

Please kill me now.

18. Jesus California says:

I think I saw this guy (on Bill Maher?)about 10 years ago. It was a very funny example of a guy that was clearly not ready for prime time. Like a deer in the headlights. After you get past his name and that he is a Mexican, there isn’t much there.

19. Gabriel Ratchet says:

So I guess we can expect another war in the Middle East and subsequent cratering economy in 2029, then?

I swear, this family has been a blight on the nation since ol’ Prescott was covertly selling oil to the Nazis and trying to start a fascist coup against FDR. Can’t we just do to them what the Russians did to the Romanovs and be done with them?

20. [...] This little nugget about the latest Bush candidate, from LG&M: The Little Brown One [...]

21. burritoboy says:

It’s the fifth generation, not the fourth. Samuel Prescott, Prescott’s dad, was a big macher in Ohio politics around the turn of the twentieth century. Prescott was on the Federal Reserve Board of Cleveland and on the War Industries Board in WWI. He was close pals with the Tafts, Hanna and McKinley, for instance. Never held any elected offices, but Samuel P. was a heavy hitter and his word carried a lot of weight.

22. Toyboat says:

Allow me to respond to this article with an image:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/MrMorton/jesushchristonacracker.gif[/IMG]