Blame Where It Belongs

[ 81 ] January 7, 2013 |

I think we can all agree that the blame for a completely unwatchable BCS title game belongs squarely on the University of Oregon. (Not that the game had Oregon not choked against Stanford would have been better, exactly, but watching a PAC-12 team beat the living crap out of Notre Dame would be richly entertaining in its own way, while watching an SEC team do likewise is almost as bad as Notre Dame winning.)

…also, is Manti T’eo the most ridiculous overhype since Joba Chamberlain, or Charlie Weis?

…the real Notre Dame disgrace.

1. Linnaeus says:

I’d rather blame Stanford, because they didn’t beat Notre Dame and they’re, well, Stanford.

2. Robert Farley says:

Sadly, I can’t disagree.

3. Decrease Mather says:

No post on the LGM Bowl Challenge?

4. LosGatosCA says:

I don’t think Kansas State is blameless here.

In fact, had they beaten Baylor this would have been just another BCS outrage.

However, Stanford is the guilty party. If Hogan had been the QB from early on, they beat Notre Dame in South Bend and they could very well have been playing Alabama tonight.

5. gratuitous says:

Now, I’m not saying Oregon would beat Alabama, but they sure as hell wouldn’t be 28 points behind. But since it’s an SEC team again, it will be another triumph for the BCS and its nonpareil work in bringing college football fans the Very Best Championship Game Ever year in and year out.

6. KLG says:

As a double graduate from Georgia, even I have to say I am getting a kick out of this. Yeah, the Ducks would have killed this Irish team. But so would:
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    Texas A&M
    Stanford
    Ohio State

No cable here, but following the game on ESPN. My favorite tweet, from Cecil Hurt:
    Manti Teo’s had the same view of that touchdown as Michelangelo had of the Sistine Chapel for 20 years.

• Linnaeus says:

South Carolina

Not sure about South Carolina killing Notre Dame. Beaten them, yes, but I think it would have been much closer than this one.

Of course, if Lattimore were not hurt, then it’d be different.

• nonunique says:

That’s the same Georgia that played such a surprisingly good game against Nebraska not long ago, right?

7. Seitz says:

I will give Notes Dame credit. With all of the concern recently about concussions in football and their long term effects, ND’s defense is taking a brave stand by clearly advocating, in a national championship game no less, that college football change the rules from tackle to two hand touch.

8. charles pierce says:

There is no obvious evidence that ND even scouted this team.

9. KLG says:

Or as a friend emailed after Herbstreit mentioned he had never seen the ND defense miss so many tackles:
    ND hasn’t had to handle RB’s like Eddie Lacy before. What? You mean just waving my arms at him doesn’t bring him down, like those Big Ten RB’s I bin use to tacklin’?

Are you that Seitz?

10. Pooh says:

Te’o's natural comparison is Jimmer.

11. Jim Lynch says:

I’m not a fan of college football, but seem to recall reading that a collegiate playoff system was either a done deal, or was at least being seriously entertained. If only in the spirit of separating the wheat from chaff, tonight’s game makes a good case for new system.

• Linnaeus says:

There will be a playoff after the 2014 season. 4 teams get in, and the major bowls will rotate the duties of hosting the semifinals and finals.

• Jim Lynch says:

Well, that’s good. It’s about time.

With all the money to be made, it’s shocking to me it took so long.

I’ve long thought a collegiate playoff system should coincide with the NFL playoffs.

That would mean a system in which 16 collegiate teams would be matched to play the Thursday and Friday before the NFL’s Wildcard Weekend; the next round (8 teams, 4 games) would be played the Thursday and Friday before the division playoffs; the next round (4 teams, 2 games) would be scheduled to play the Saturday before the NFL’s Conference Championships; and the collegiate championship game would be played the Saturday before the Super Bowl.

Bookies everywhere could then retire, and still afford to send their kids to Ivy League schools.

• TT says:

I’d rather just get rid of virtually all current bowl games and go back to the way it was: four major bowls (Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Orange), plus the why-is-this-a-major-bowl? (Fiesta), and one second-tier bowl (Citrus) all on New Year’s Day. That way you could basically just spend from around noon to 1am eating, boozing, and watching at least a couple halfway-decent matchups. Plus, now that UPI’s basically dead there’d be no more split titles. (Either that or cut the season back to 11 or 10 games and have the top twelve AP teams do a four-week playoff, replete with byes for the top four teams, rotated among the different major bowls and culminating on New Year’s Day.)

• Bill Murray says:

I’m with TT’s first part. Plus, 4-team playoff (or really an any team number) isn’t going to be any better than the crappy system we have now and at least the old system didn’t have the pretense of being a real championship determiner.

12. KLG says:

It occurs to me to ask, since I can’t see it on my TV machine: Is Gerry Faust on the Notre Dame sideline?

13. Patrick Pine says:

A huge Oregon fan….but watching this – and realizing that Texas A&M did beat Alabama – and seeing A&M demolish Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl – have to admit that Johnny Manziel probably did deserve the Heisman – but still would like to have seen Oregon vs. Alabama.

14. Anonymous says:

Joba has a ring young Le’mu – unlike Weis (aka Pear Bryant) Or Te’o. Or Chip Kelley. That’s why CK went back to Phil Knight Technical College in Eugene.

15. dp says:

Manti T’eo couldn’t carry Kevin Minter’s jock.

On behalf of LSU, I apologize for submitting the rest of the nation to another round of “Rammer Jammer.”

16. e julius drivingstorm says:

A word to the wise west coasters. The 3-4 defense does not work well against a powerful running game. You need DE’s that can drop into coverage so your LB’s can run-blitz from the 4-3. Alabama ran through Georgia’s 3-4 for some 350 yards. They are, after all, Alabama.

17. Domino says:

Really odd choice for ND to continue to try and pick on an AP all-american DB. Guess they weren’t buying it?

As a Kansas State fan, I can’t help but wonder “what if…” if the defense had decided to show up in the game vs. Baylor. Probably would’ve been the easiest shot at a NT for the university ever.

Also, Oklahoma could’ve won that game vs. ND if they just continued to throw the ball. Jones was carving up ND’s lackluster secondary pretty well before Stoops for some stupid reason decided to try and run it.

I’d also like to see an Oregon vs. Florida or Baylor/Oklahoma State vs. Alabama match-up.

• spencer says:

Based on the results of the Sugar Bowl, I’d like to see Oregon vs Florida too. There are few things I enjoy more than watching the Gators take a beatdown.

18. Pittsburgh Lurker says:

My beloved University of Pittsburgh deserve some blame here, too. If they’d been able to hold onto that big lead, (or least attempted to run the ball a little in the 4th) perhaps that game could’ve been avoided. It’s not my line, wish it was, but someone on Twitter said: “Pitt, not content to screw over their own fans, screwed over all of college football.” Hail to

19. bradP says:

I’ll go ahead and apologize for the six turnovers my beloved Wolverines gave ND in their 12-10 loss.

• befuggled says:

It was 13-6. My theory is that Denard had nerve problems in that arm all year long, but they just weren’t that obvious until Nebraska.

• bradP says:

Of course. Silly me. Michigan’s abject offensive failures kinda blur together for me. 12-10 was the score of the MSU game.

And Denard’s interceptions were caused by his decision making, unfortunately. At least a couple of those interceptions were absolute headscratchers.

• befuggled says:

HIs decision making was still a big part of it, but he seemed to have some trouble making some of the throws he’d made in previous years. His completion percentage also went down for the second straight year, which can’t be attributed to the change in offensive schemes.

• CaptBackslap says:

College football was so damned unwatchable this year. I mean, there were some good games here and there, but mostly…man, it was bad.

20. rea says:

They got a name for the winners in the world
    I want a name when I lose
    They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
    Call me Deacon Blues Notre Dame

21. JKTHs says:

You’re forgetting Jeremy Lin, Cam Newton, this year’s Lakers, the 2011 Eagles, Tim Tebow…

22. Njorl says:

I remember watching Marcus Allen’s last bowl game and thinking there was no way he’d ever start in the NFL.

• elm says:

Right. It is possible that Te’o had a bad game and that what he looked like up until yesterday was the real Te’o (an excellent linebacker who wasn’t any more overhyped than any other good ND player is, which is already a good deal of hype.)

But even if the Te’o from yesterday is the real Te’o, is he any more overhyped than Brady Quinn was a few years ago? I mean, really, at least Te’o was dominant against inferior competition. Quinn couldn’t even say that.

• Cody says:

Well, Te’o certainly didn’t play a great game. I’m pretty hesitant to judge a player by one game, let alone a defensive one. He was in the action pretty much all the time – just blocked. Your defensive linemen can’t be letting the offensive line get to the second level every play. No LB is going to take an All-American left-tackle to task on a run play.

23. morganducks says:

SECond chances. That’s what burns me. Is Bama’s loss to A&M better than Oregon’s loss to Stanford? Why does the SEC get a default spot in the title game with one loss? And playing only 8 conference games? Imagine if the Ducks could have avoided Stanford this year, just as the Tide avoided FLA or SC?

And yeah, about those Pac 12 refs. Oregon was the 13th most-penalized team in the nation this season. Penalties in the Fiesta Bowl? Five. ACC referees. And don’t forget the Pac 12 replay crew that OVERTURNED A RULING ON THE FIELD, for no real reason, to give Stanford its final and tying touchdown in the win against the Ducks.

Pac 12 Conference has to stop taking itself out of contention.

24. BobS says:

The Dave Zirin article mentions in passing the sexual assault of a young woman in Steubenville Ohio that Amy Goodman had a segment on yesterday. She was described as a 16 year old West Virginia resident. The DN! segment made it seem as if state and local authorities were being less aggressive than they could be, making me wonder if any federal laws were violated being that a minor was brought across state borders. Anybody know?

25. jkay says:

But you’re all wrong – it’s clearly Coach Mack Brown’s fault, for totally screwing up our head coach sitution forever, meaning the Longhorns aren’t there to fo the BCS right, as we always have. It’s crystal clear as my head.

Actually, to get too serious, I really blame BCS, no not for existing, for it clearly rules, but for taking TOO LONG between season and most title matches, enough of a problem that the the quality of that game’s gone way down, IMHO.