The Greatest Tweet in History

[ 24 ] November 17, 2012 |

@OldHossRadbourn is tweeting the Yale-Harvard football game with the kind of disdain for both sides that a hater of the elite like myself can appreciate. In doing so, he wrote the greatest tweet in the history of the medium:

A high-offense contest for Yale and Harvard, though nowhere near the firepower their alumni dumped on Southeast Asia

Wow.

1. Fuckers says:

The Vietnam war isn’t even the biggest clusterfuck brought to you by HY alumni and the is a second tier tweet at best.

2. Dave Weeden says:

I agree that’s very fine. But, while I’m no fan of the elite either, I’d like a wee quote from Wikipedia:

According to U.S. Vice-President Richard Nixon, the plan involved the Joint Chiefs of Staff drawing up plans to use three small tactical nuclear weapons in support of the French.[77] Nixon, a so-called “hawk” on Vietnam, suggested that the United States might have to “put American boys in”.[80] U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower made American participation contingent on British support, but London was opposed to such a venture.[80] In the end, convinced that the political risks outweighed the possible benefits, Eisenhower decided against the intervention.[81] As an experienced five-star general, Eisenhower was wary of getting the United States involved in a land war in Asia.

Nixon was a graduate of Whitier College. He remained in awe of the Harvard and Yale boys and despised them at the same time. Sure the patricians should take the blame for Vietnam, but it’s not as if the US would be that much better off without them. (See also Sarah Palin.)

Shorter me: if Yale and Harvard alumni hadn’t bombed Indo China, other fools would have. Still, let’s have fun giving them hell for it.

• And LBJ, the guy who turn the Viet Nam situation into the Viet Nam War, was not an Ivy League fan.

• Since I haven’t been told where the buck stops in a while,* I’ll note that the Ivy League alumni in question aren’t the occupants of the Oval Office, but the brainy policy types below the President in the executive branch and White House. LBJ didn’t hire many people from Rice or Texas State Teachers College for those jobs.

*I’m given to understand that it is “here.” I’ll give it some thought and get back to you.

• John says:

From Caro’s biography, it seems that Johnson was rather in awe of/jealous of all the Kennedy Ivy league guys. He resented that he hadn’t had those opportunities, but also kind of felt that they were all smarter than him.

Looking at it, though, there’s plenty of guys in the Kennedy/Johnson national security team who didn’t go to Ivy League schools, at least for undergraduate: Rusk, McNamara, Clifford, Ball, McNaughton, Galbraith, all of the actual generals.

So I’d put it even more strongly than Dave Weeden above – the decision to bomb Vietnam was pretty clearly a full on collaboration between Harvard-Yale alums and graduates of other, less elite, institutions. McGeorge Bundy, or whoever, is a wonderful emblem of Ivy League privilege put to evil uses, but there’s plenty of blame to spread around.

3. I’m rooting for Yale.

P.S. After watching LGM root for our Warmonger in Chief over the last 4 years, I’m not surprised you feel the need to pretend opposition to America’s M.I.C.
    ~

4. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Thank goodness we had graduates of Southwest Texas State Teachers’ College and Whittier College to undo all the damage those damn Ivy League types insisted we do in Vietnam!

• Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Should have read the comment thread before repeating what had said before. Knee-jerk Ivy League bashing of this sort remains a stupid prejudice on your part, Erik. As elite institutions go, the role that Harvard and Yale have played overall in American life stands up pretty well, which is to say that the picture is pretty mixed. And even their failings as institution are mirrored by a lot of flagship state universities, who have also played key roles in building the military-industrial-university complex.

• Vance Maverick says:

As a graduate of both Yale and UC Berkeley, I resemble that remark.

• The Dark Avenger says:

Yes, Harvard demonstrates moral leadership by having a proven plagiarist, Doris K. Goodwin, on the Board of Overseers.

• Origami Isopod says:

Awwww, the poor ickle Ivy League schools.

Speaking as someone who grew up in a lower-middle-class household in New England? I love seeing them pwned. Fucking hotbeds of all sorts of privilege with a gross and mistaken sense of “We’re doing all this for your own good!” Fuck ‘em.

5. I’m neither a fan of Ivy League elites nor a fan of college football in any form–but I’d encourage everyone to be open-minded enough to watch “Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29,” one of coolest and most thoughtful documentaries I’ve ever seen.

6. Andetson says:

How have the Ducks hypnotized Stanford into handing over the ball? I expect the next turnover to be gift-wrapped.

7. karl says:

You seem to forget that the bombing started under LBJ, a graduate of Southwest Texas State Teachers College. He, too, was overawed by the brain trust.

8. RhZ says:

Can’t we just blame our government for being our government?

One alum of an Ivy is no more responsible for our bloody, aggressive recent history (like last 100 years) than the alum of your various state university.

9. KLG says:

You go, Erik!

Ignore the complainers, who need to go out and find a dogeared 75-cent paperback copy of The Best and the Brightest. And read it.

But ‘splain me this: How did the Ducks get plucked by a cardinal in a spruce tree? Not that I particularly mind as a graduate of Georgia.

10. You obviously have not seen my tweet trolling Ted Nugent, sir.

11. OmerosPeanut says:

That tweet is beautiful; pure poetry.

12. jon says:

MIT is still the winner.

13. Emily68 says:

I don’t know about the best tweet, but the best telegram ever sent is mentioned in a book about a fire that burned up most of downtown Spencer, Iowa in the 1930s. This is from memory, but it think the telegram read: “Rush more dynamite or all is lost.”

14. Western Dave says:

To hear the late Sidney Fine tell it in his University of Michigan lectures, all the advisers to South Vietnam came from Michigan State.