More Rush

[ 22 ] March 2, 2012 |

This seems a good time to post this song by the great and utterly unknown songwriter Buddy Tabor, who paints houses in Juneau and writes amazing songs. This is not really one of my favorites, but it does remind that Rush is a horrible person and a shameless hypocrite about drug use as well as women.

1. blowback says:

I think you mean painted houses and wrote amazing songs:

2. paperbagmarlys says:

I was just going to say, that should the “late Buddy Tabor, who painted…”

3. c u n d gulag says:

I don’t want “more” Rust – I want less.
    MUCH LESS!

I’m not in favor of abolishing Rush.
    I just want to shrink him down to the size where we can drown him in the bathtub.

• Bill Murray says:

I say we skip the shrinking part and just get a big enough bathtub and have ourselves an old fashioned tub thumpin’ party. Maybe we can make some Limbaugh Gin afterwards to offset the cost of the huge tub.

• c u n d gulag says:

There’s only one tub big enough to fit that lard-assed loud mouth, and it’s known in England as “The Pond.”

And we’ve got enough problems with pollution and rising sea levels along the coast without lowering that POS into the Atlantic.

• Gabriel Ratchet says:

Well, as far as shrinking him goes, I think Christopher Hitchens’ quote about Jerry Falwell is probably apropos: “If you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox.”

4. c u n d gulag says:

“Rush” in the first sentence – not “Rust!”

Y kant oui haz ‘preview’ and/or ‘edit,’ like da big-kid sites?

• efgoldman says:

Y kant oui haz ‘preview’ and/or ‘edit,’ like da big-kid sites?

Because our inner 12-year-olds would abuse them. Or worse, would get self-censored.

5. Rarely Posts says:

I still can’t believe the extent to which the right-wing machine is managing to bungle this birth control issue. In fact, I’m struggling to remember the last time that I’ve seen a major party suffer so many absurd, unforced errors in their press strategy.

Unless I completely misunderstand public opinion on birth control (and I’ve read and thought about a lot of polls, so I doubt it), the Republicans did not want to pick this fight. And, if there were going to, they wanted to stake out positions pleasing to their base and a public presentation that was principled and boringly unobjectionable to the public. So why did they pick a panel entirely of men? Didn’t they understand how dumb that looked? And then why did they attack Sandra Fluke? Her testimony was going to be ignored by the public, but now the GOP has managed to bring attention to it and their own misogyny.

They could have limited this issue to two to three days of the news cycle and made it all sound like boring DC drama, and instead they’ve steadily drawn it out and made it sexy and openly misogynist. Wow!

• c u n d gulag says:

Hey, if they want to drive over the edge of the cliff at 90mph, I’m sure as Hell not going to jump in front of them and yell, “STOP!”

This is what happens when you live in an echo chamber and start to believe your own bullsh*t.

Every successful, long-term, propagandist (advertisor) knows that he/she needs to keep at least one foot grounded in reality.
      Because the ones who don’t, end up in the ash piles of history, like Nazi Germany, the USSR, and New Coke.

And their biggest mistake is to kowtow and follow a radio host who gets paid for his audience-share. And who has learned that, the more controvercial he is, the higher his ratings, and the higher his pay.

“Entertainment” shouldn’t be confused with policy.
      But, as I said earlier, if they want to drive off…

• Rarely Posts says:

“The more controvercial he is, the higher his ratings, and the higher his pay.”

I generally understand this phenomena, but I have to admit, I despair (and am astounded) at the fact that Rush remains popular. He is so vile, hateful, vicious, gross, dishonest, and cruel. I don’t understand how anyone can listen to him regularly without suffering extreme nausea. I’m talking about his personality and ad hominem attacks more than his political positions here.

I honestly can’t think of any left-wing equivalent (and certainly not one with a similar platform and market share). Rush’s popularity is one reason that I despair about the human condition and about America’s political future.

• MAJeff says:

That’s the primary selling point for his audience.

• c u n d gulag says:

He’s all about doing whatever it takes to piss-off the Liberals.

But, then again, that’s modern conservatism in a “nut”shell!

• Davis X. Machina says:

Never bet against the fundamental depravity of mankind. Take Calvin (or Augustine) and the points.

Usually you won’t even get the points, the fundamental depravity of mankind mostly being a prohibitive favorite.

• efgoldman says:

Overreach.
      Its a GOBP disease. Also known as Terri Schiavo syndrome.

• STH says:

Well, they’re all furiously running to the right to appease the howling base, for one thing. But I think a lot of it is what happens when all your decision-making is made by men. I suspect it would never occur to them to see birth control as an important health issue because they certainly don’t see it that way–women deal with it, they don’t.

• efgoldman says:

Except….
        Most of those odious GOBP state-level bills about ultrasounds, etc., have GOBP women legislators as co-sponsors.

• STH says:

Because that’s the price of admission. They get to play with the boys because they are good tokens who do what they’re expected to do.

• Davis says:

These are people who think that Obama’s greatest fear is Sarah Palin.

6. Woodrowfan says:

to me it’s even more disturbing to see how many commentators on this story I see on the news sites that defend him. There are a lot of very angry, very hateful people out there…

7. [...] to write this obituary for the great Alaskan songwriter Buddy Tabor. It was only with my link to his song “3 Strikes You’re Out,” pointing out the hypocrisy of Rush Limbaugh that commenters notifying me that Tabor died last month [...]