Last Week in Gun Fetish Legislative Crazy, Missouri Edition

[ 32 ] February 26, 2013 |

I don’t know how I missed this:

Missouri state Rep. Mike Leara (R) loves the Second Amendment so much he wants to make it a felony for state lawmakers to propose legislation he thinks would violate it.

On Sunday, Leara offered up this addition to Missouri law:

“Any member of the general assembly who proposes a piece of legislation that further restricts the right of an individual to bear arms, as set forth under the second amendment of the Constitution of the United States, shall be guilty of a class D felony,” Leara’s bill reads in its entirety.

There’s too much frightening hilarity in this for one morning, but a key question: just what the hell is Leara afraid of?

1. Derelict says:

He’s afraid of Agenda 21: First they came for the guns, then they came for the golfs . . .

• TribalistMeathead says:

I know that it shouldn’t, but it astounds me that a non-binding UN Resolution that states “Hey guys, it’s a really great idea to live in cities rather than suburbs” is causing this much bedwetting.

2. c u n d gulag says:

This is beyond stupid.

But, I’d be for a law that makes it a felony for a lawmaker to propose legislation that violates peoples intelligence and is a waste of everyones time.

And what is he afraid of?
    Apparently, a lot.
    Who knows what the feck scares gun-nuts.
    Just like, without probing and therapy, who knows what scares paranoid people?

Gun nuts need their guns like Linus in “Peanuts,” and Gene Wilder in “The Producers,” needed their security ‘blankies.’

3. Barry Freed says:

Guns are people too.

• Barry Freed says:

But they don’t kill people. People do that.

• NonyNony says:

Guns don’t kill people.

People with guns use their guns to kill people.

Never forget that the guns have no role in the killing.

• Boudleaux says:

“Guns don’t kill people . . . Cops kill people.”

Cheech & Chong

• ajay says:

Guns don’t kill people rappers do,
          From Bristol Zoo to B&Q,
          I wanna rap, I wanna rhyme
          Heard it in a song now im into gun crime,
          Its a sign of the times like Prince changin his name,
          Gotta have a shooter to be in the rap game,
          Like Michael Ryan about to snap,
          Guns dont kill people, its just rap!

4. kerFuFFler says:

It’s just not enough to be able to vote something down or have something ruled unconstitutional; Leara wants people to stop saying stuff he doesn’t like! (“…there oughtta be a law….”)

So much for free speech….

5. BigHank53 says:

Weren’t a great number of laws passed regarding the discussion of abolition in the slave states?

This strikes me as being the same flavor of upper-class white paranoia. Reactionary crapola from someone who suspects they’re on the wrong side of history.

6. Shakezula says:

These assmaggots have no clue that there might, just possibly, be amendments before and after Nombre Deux. (Exception: Someone tells them to StFu and/or to get those marble tablets bearing the 10 Commandments out of the state courthouse. At which point they will indicate they’ve seen 1, but functional illiteracy prevents them from understanding what it means.)

However, I welcome such displays as they help disabuse thoughtful people who might have been lead to believe this shit is about a fight for liberty and American Tradition(C).

7. witless chum says:

Maybe he’s afraid of a primary challenge from someone even crazier?

• kerFuFFler says:

I think you’re absolutely right about that. They all feel a need to outdo one another about how strongly they support the 2nd amendment. They remind me of young children jockeying for social position with their puerile schoolyard taunts.

8. Kurzleg says:

I find it amusing that this guy claims to be trying to uphold the Constitution by basically ignoring it. I guess he hasn’t heard of the judicial branch.

• He has heard of the judicial branch. He has heard that they are a bunch of librul activists, bought off by Obama, and therefore they cannot be trusted to uphold the God-given Constitutional rights of Real Americans (TM)

• SatanicPanic says:

Isn’t there a rule in the Constitution that says you can’t criminalize legislative action? I seem to remember something like that

• Craigo says:

They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

That’s for Congress, though I’d be surprised if most state constitutions didn’t have a similar provision.

• Craigo says:

Yep.

Section 19. Senators and representatives shall, in all cases except treason, felony, or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during the session of the general assembly, and for the fifteen days next before the commencement and after the termination of each session; and they shall not be questioned for any speech or debate in either house in any other place.

Article II, Sec. 19 of the Missouri Constitution.

9. kerFuFFler says:

For sheer unconstitutionality it reminds me of the legislation in North Carolina that rules out referring to recent climate research on sea level rise and local coastlines when deliberating development and land-use policy. Idiotic and unconstitutional…

10. Cheap Wino says:

He doesn’t expect it to pass. But he damn well thinks it should! Following that he’ll go the obvious next step and introduce a law that says, “If I figure you’re saying something that I don’t like you have to just shut up then. So there!”

Too many stupid people in politics these days. Thanks Rush and Roger.

11. DrDick says:

*Sigh*

I wish I could laugh at this, but the Republican dominated legislature here is seriously considering a bill that makes it illegal for LEA to enforce a federal assault weapons ban. They are also moving forward on bills to allow concealed carry for everyone and one allowing guns on state college campuses and prohibiting the Regents or university system from regulating guns. The latter was passed by the state House after a bill allowing concealed guns in the Capitol Building.

• Murc says:

Serious question: is that legit or not?

I mean, yeah, supremacy clause, but my impression has always been that the feds don’t actually have the power to compel local law enforcement to enforce federal law. They usually do anyway, because they’re not crazy, but can’t states go “Okay, fine. You guys enforce the hell out of that. We’ll be over here.”

I could, I freely admit, be stupidly, crazily wrong about that.

• DrDick says:

I do not know either. The Gooper sponsoring this claims that it does not violate the supremacy clause, which makes me suspect that it may not pass judicial review. Fortunately, we have a Democratic governor, who might veto this.

12. thelogos says:

Lawmakers here in Colorado have been getting death threats for proposing gun control legislation. Gun nuts are indeed nuts and there are more than we think.

13. [...] the hell thinks it’s funny to call a nine-year-old by the C word? •A Missouri legislator says any legislator who proposes gun-control legislation should be sent to prison (and proposes a new [...]

14. OzarkHillbilly says:

He’s afraid of me: A gun owner who believes in reasonable regulation, Universal back ground checks, that private citizens should not be carrying guns just because they feel like it (and they are just a big pussy) and is a good enuf shot that I don’t need a 30 round clip because I usually hit what I shoot at with the first round, if not, the 2nd does the trick.

• DrDick says:

Makes two of us. Originally from NE Oklahoma and live in western Montana today. I own a gun, and owned more in the past, but have never felt the need for a gun to protect myself from people (and Okies and Montanans include some pretty scary folks). My current gun is for camping in the mountains in grizzly country (bear spray is better in open areas, but not so much in a tent).

15. walter66 says:

I read a story not too long ago that there were a couple of democrats trying to introduce a bill that would limit gun magazine capacity to 10

“Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms – Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons”

hope the link works