The Quiet Part Loud

[ 34 ] August 20, 2012 |

Republicans are really on top of their game today:

Why do Ohio Republicans suddenly feel so strongly about limiting early voting hours in Democratic counties? Franklin County (Columbus) GOP Chair Doug Preisse gave a surprisingly blunt answer to the Columbus Dispatch on Sunday: “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban—read African-American—voter-turnout machine.” Preisse is not some rogue operative but the chairman of the Republican Party in Ohio’s second-largest county and a close adviser to Ohio Governor John Kasich.

The biggest weakness of the Voting Rights Act is that it doesn’t apply to the entire country.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. actor212 says:

I guess I really actually feel he should be wearing a white robe and hood when he says this

2. vacuumslayer says:

Fuckin’ blacks. Mobilizing and voting. Like they have the right or something. What assholes.

• somethingblue says:

Well, plus there’s a black guy on the ballot this time. Obvious conflict of interest for black voters. Shouldn’t they have to recuse themselves?

3. david mizner says:

Funny. It seems he was worried people wouldn’t pick up on his coded lingo “urban” so he helpfully added: “read African-American.”

4. You can tell we live in a center-right nation when the center-right party is doing everything it can to make the electorate as unrepresentative as possible.

5. Cody says:

Quick, go to the forums and tell everyone that the GOP is suppressing votes.

Oh wait, close one, it turns out that they’re only requiring IDs to stop the zero cases of fraud it would affect.

This is how people got into the Republican party. First they started with a silly argument (It’s needed and has no downside!), but now they’re going to just be saying “Blacks don’t need to vote!”

6. Malaclypse says:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff. You’re getting so abstract now [that] you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And once you get people used to all this, you’ll have pretty much come full circle, and can go back to complaining about the niggers. Plus Manju will have your back by then, and we all know how well-respected he will be by then.

I don’t know why people usually cut that the last part of quote off.

7. I can deal with bigotry and self-serving behavior. That makes sense to me.

But Jeesum Crepes the logical contradictions just drive me fucking insane.

“Don’t want to contort the process to accommodate the black turnout machine.”

That’s the fucking, opposite . . . the process is contorting itself against the, fucking . . .

Ugh.

• Boudleaux says:

Yes. The contortion is making the voting apparatus equally available to the urban areas.

The reason his non-contortion is justified, of course, is that there is a voter-turnout “machine.” Now everyone know that a political “machine” is inherently bad. But, just look at the object of this one: “Voter-turnout.” This is tantamount to “Chicago-style” politics!

8. NJC says:

FYI: Section 2 of the VRA does apply to the entire country, although it’s more difficult for Justice Department to use than Section 5.

9. Adam Parsons says:

It’s worth noting that Preisse’s lobbying firm’s website includes links to the “Democrat National Committee,” the “Ohio Democrat Party,” and the “Franklin County Democrat Party.”

Also, the Franklin County Republican Party is, in my experience, a weird thing. I used to know a man on the Central Committee (or at least he claimed to be – I never checked, and I can’t remember his name anymore) who, since he knew I was a historian, liked to try to convince me of the reliability of Ussher’s chronology.

10. Ian says:

Can someone please explain to me why there aren’t uniform, nationwide regulations for federal elections? Would it be possible for Congress to pass a law specifying hours, methods of voter identification, types of ballots permitted, and so on? Or is there some constitutional reason that counties (!) can make up their own rules?

11. DrDick says:

They aren’t even trying to hide it anymore. First Akin’s bullshit about “legitimate rape” and now this.

12. […] Lemieux has been titling his posts on this The Quiet Part Loud, in reference to Krusty’s inability to hide a bribe, and that’s exactly what’s […]