Creeping Palinism

[ 23 ] August 18, 2010 |

Sarah Palin’s fascinating theory that the First Amendment should exempt her from criticism gains another adherent in odious busybody Laura Schlessinger:

Well, I’m here to say that my contract is up for my radio show at the end of the year and I have made the decision not to do radio anymore. The reason is: I want to regain my First Amendment rights.

Apparently, the First Amendment contains not merely a right to be exempt from criticism for making racist remarks but also a right to receive advertising revenue. I join with the other bloggers of LGM in expressing outrage about all of the companies that refuse to advertise on our site, hence violating our First Amendment rights!

1. Davis says:

I think it was Atrios who came up with “whinny ass titty babies.”

2. Glenn says:

I for one certainly look forward to finally getting to learn what Dr. Laura really thinks about things. She’s been so reticent up to now. I’m just sure there’s a font of wisdom there ready to flow forth.

3. Martin says:

The argument is stupid and she deserves all manner of criticism, but in some weird way it’s almost refreshing to hear such a person echo the longstanding left-wing point of view that, you know, media that is dependent on advertising revenue blows. That part, I can applaud.

4. mark f says:

One wonders what Dr. Laura’s thoughts were on the recent SCOTUS “fleeting obscenities” ruling.

5. Holden Pattern says:

It’s the conservatroll complaint writ large:

Why won’t you libtards tolerate my intolerance?! The First Amendment guarantees the right of movement conservatives to say any damn stupid thing that comes into their heads without criticism of any sort!!! Why do you show your hatred for my free speech rights and the Constitution by saying unpleasant things to me when I take stupid and bigoted positions!?

6. xenocrates says:

Exactly which law did Congress pass which prevented this empty-headed bimbo from exercising her rights? Oh, yeah, THERE WASN’T ONE…not that that has stopped these knuckle-draggers before. And for the record, I didn’t find her repeated use of the “N-word” nearly as offensive as her suggestion that her caller “marry within her race.” Now, THAT’S offensive! As far as I remember, we are all members of the human race; skin color really doesn’t mean much. Unless you’re a stupid, ignorant, bigoted person…more simply, a Republican.

• DrDick says:

Conservatards are all for the free market (which is what is operating here) until it reaches around and bites them on the ass. Somehow they have the bizarre notion that the “free market” (a mythical beast akin to unicorns and fairies) automatically protects conservatives from failure.

7. DrDick says:

Actually the First Amendment right to protection from criticism for outrageously offensive, stupid, and/or batshit crazy things you say only applies if you are a conservative. Lefties are always fair game (says so right there in the constitution somewhere).

• redrob says:

It is found in the original intent of the Founders. Near God-like in their wisdom as they were, they knew that progressives and other malcontents would criticize conservative Real Americans ™ who told hard truthiness in “offensive, stupid and/or batshit crazy” ways. Clearly lefties don’t need to be protected from criticism because they’re just evil and allied to those decadent Europeans who want to be conquered by Muslims and such.

This is fun. I wonder if I can get “Dr.” Laura’s job.

8. c u n d gulag says:

She’s free excercize her 1st Amendment rights and go to any street in East NY or Bed Sty and scream “N****R!” all she wants.
    She just has to remember to duck if anyone decides to use their 2nd Amendment rights.

• dave says:

But when they’ve finished repealing those OTHER pesky amendments, the people who live there won’t have any 2nd-amendment rights….

9. BigHank53 says:

Dear Ms. Laura:

Nobody owes you a microphone. You talked your way into that job, and then you talked your way right out of it again. Looking for someone to blame? Try a mirror.

10. harmfulguy says:

Can any of you constitutional scholars tell me where “freedom from butthurt” is enshrined above all other rights in our Constitution?

11. [...] by freedom of speech, it’s directly antithetical to free speech. Alas, Sarah Palin’s anti-free speech conception of free speech continues to be influential on the [...]