Cooleyisms

[ 15 ] January 31, 2008 |

Brighter than Creation’s Dark is finally starting to grow on me. I’ll have a full write up tomorrow or the next day, but until then I leave you with some favorites of mine from Mike Cooley:

So I’ll meet you at the bottom if there really is one
They always told me when you hit it you’ll know it
But I’ve been falling so long it’s like gravity’s gone and I’m just floating
- Gravity’s Gone

Well, my daddy didn’t pull out, but he never apologized
Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies.
- Marry Me

And I ain’t gonna crawl upon no high horse
Cause I got thrown off of one
when I was young and I ain’t no cowboy
so I ain’t going where I don’t belong.
- When the Pin Hits the Shell

I got friends in Nashville, or at least they’re folks I know
Nashville is where you go to see if what they said is so
- Carl Perkins’ Cadillac

Your Brother was the first-born, got ten fingers and ten toes
And it’s a damn good thing cause
He needs all twenty to keep the closet door closed
- Zip City

1. Erik says:

The opening lines to “Marry Me” is the greatest opening to a song I have ever heard.

2. d says:

. . . not to mention pretty much every line from “Aftermath USA.”

3. d says:

Never mind — I overlooked that these were “Cooleyisms.”

4. Fats Durston says:

Heh. I too missed the title and saw the lyrics and thought, hmmm, I bet Farley would like Drive-By-Truckers…

5. binky says:

And from the new one:
    “I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning, now I tolerate him all day long.”

6. Rob says:

binky,
    Yes! I was thinking of adding exactly that lyric.
    Cooley’s so weird; I wouldn’t call him a great songwriter, but he has such a way of turning a phrase.

7. Nothing from “Women Without Whiskey”?

8. whetstone says:

“You asked me if I could play some Dylan, I said ‘Dylan who?’ and you told me to kiss your ass…”

9. INotI says:

All I know from the Truckers is “The Three Alabama Icons”. I keep thinking I should get some more, but I haven’t yet.

10. Hoyt Pollard says:

Cooley’s the best. Guns, booze, and cars. He’s the master of the opening line.
    “A bloody nose, empty pockets, a rented car with a trunk full of guns.”

11. Ted says:

“If I make it through this year I think I’m gonna put this bottle down” may be the best opening line to a song ever. I love these guys, and I don’t even like Lynryd Skynryd or however it’s spelled….

12. Matt T. says:

Ted,
    Be proud, you spelled it right. I know a dude that’s got it spelled “Lynnard Skynnard” as a tattoo on his arm.
    And Cooley’s the main man, but don’t never go drinking with him and his wife.

13. Hoyt Pollard says:

He most definitely did not spell it correctly. It’s “Lynyrd Skynyrd.” And I’m just a Yankee Slicker.

14. Ted says:

Mea culpa, and no offense intended. If it helps, I do like the Allman Brothers’ song “Whipping Post” and the Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See”.
    But don’t play .38 Special when I’m in the room.

15. Mark M. says:

“Son come running, You better come quick. This rotgut moonshine is making me sick. Your Mama called the law and they’re gonna take me away.
    Down so far even the Devil won’t stay”
    Classic. Cooley owns The Dirty South