Last night I needed to use up some chicken thighs and legs I had thawed. I was tired of the same crap I usually make and was really crazing some Asian flavors…so I came up with this:
Thai Braised Chicken
- 6-8 pieces dark meat, bone-in chicken (Skin chicken if you are averse to having a fattier, richer sauce. Skin will not get crackly crisp, but will not be soggy gross, either.)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- I can coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 heaping tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (Adjust for your heat tolerance; I use a heaping 1 1/2)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. yellow Indian curry powder
- lime wedges and chopped cilantro, for serving
- hot, cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a bowl combine coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, curry mixes, and lime juice
- In a large dutch oven, heat some oil ’til almost smoking. Salt and pepper chicken pieces, brown them, then remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Season (lightly!) the veggies then sauté them in the oil/fat for a minute or two.
- Pour in the coconut milk/curry sauce, stirring to mix everything.
- Nestle the chicken pieces in the sauce (taking care to keep skin above braising liquid) and put the (lid-off!) dutch oven in the oven. Braise for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, until chicken is almost falling off the bone and veggies are tender.
- Serve over rice with lime wedges (a squeeze of lime here is wonderful) and chopped cilantro.