Trump “not aware” that he is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Vladimir Putin and the Russian Federation

[ 112 ] January 11, 2017 |

JFC:

As an “American citizen” regardless of political party, Conway said, “we should be concerned that intelligence officials leak to the press and won’t go and tell the president-elect or the president of the United States himself now, Mr. Obama, what the information is. They’d rather go tell the press.”

At that point, Meyers cut her off, saying, “But the report was about them going to the president.” When she pushed back, he added, “I believe it said they did brief him on it.”

The first sentence of CNN’s report reads, “Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.”

“He has said he’s not aware of that,” Conway replied of her boss, to which Meyers said, “That concerns me.”

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. jim, some guy in iowa says:

the Donnie probably thinks he and Vlad are *partners*

but in the end the banker owns you- that’s how the world works. and we knew they owned him all along

2. humanoid.panda says:

Off topic, but this is important stuff.

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicans, under increasing pressure to ensure that President-elect Donald J. Trump’s nominees are fully vetted by federal authorities, have delayed the hearings of four potential cabinet members, three of whom have not been cleared by the agency charged with unraveling potential conflicts of interest.

Just like the ethics stuff, this is not a huge deal in itself, but its a reminder that the GOP is not a team of genius super-villains about to crash us all. They can and should be fought and stopped (see also, their confusion about the ACA).

• Gizmo says:

Maybe that McConnell letter letter left a mark…

• AMK says:

Not on him. I would sooner bet that some of these people took the initiative themselves and just asked their hearings to be moved….some of them are probably astute enough to realize that just doing the damn paperwork kills the story faster.

• M. Bouffant says:

Another reminder, from Josh Marshall:

[W]hat may be the most significant news of the day […] was a number produced by the Quinnipiac University polling organization: Donald Trump, ten days from becoming President, has an approval rating of 37%. Most presidents seldom get so low. Some never do. […] For some perspective, by Gallup’s numbers, each of the last three presidents had approval ratings of at least 65% during their presidential transitions.

• random says:

Dear polls:

I appreciate this but you’re still not forgiven for lying to me about the election.

• AMK says:

Also doesn’t matter since those 37% are all in the deep red districts.

• SNF says:

I thought Trump was doing a bit better post-election? Like he was still underwater and incredibly unpopular for an incoming president, but that his approval rating was in the low to mid 40s or something.

Has Trump gone down in the past couple weeks, or is this just different poll methodologies or whatever causing different results?

• randy khan says:

I think the polls are relatively consistent at this point – I saw another one that had Trump’s favorability at 39%.

He got a bit of a bounce after the election, but I don’t think he ever got past the low 40s.

• bender says:

This may be an instance where the political self interest of Republican senators is at cross purposes with the desire of the Trump team to speed up the confirmation hearings. The executive (some say) deliberately scheduled all the committee hearings at overlapping times to make it harder for reporters to cover them and to make Trump’s press conference the big news. The senators want to be seen on television making speeches about the awfulness of Obama’s policies and how much better the department is going to be under Republican leadership, and if they are members of two committees that are holding hearings at the same time, they have to miss one of them.

• bender says:

I should have said, GOP Senate leaders, not Trump’s own people, scheduled overlapping hearings. Individual GOP senators may be more interested in their own careers than making Trump look good.

• socraticsilence says:

So…. is there any chance in hell that press conference still happens tomorrow and if so does a member of the press sack up and ask about the hookers?

3. Wapiti says:

Somewhere Trump is sputtering, “But Putin’s my friend! He hooked me up with these hot Russian chicks!”

If Trump is now lying to Conway, yeah, it’s troubling.

• humanoid.panda says:

Oh, I’m sure he was lying to her since day they met (in fact in the last day of the campaign she kept hinting that she was not responsible for his performance..)

• Paul Campos says:

It’s just as likely that Trump isn’t lying: he may not have been paying attention at that really boring meeting last week.

• Taters says:

‘Trump was told yet is not aware’ comport with my armchair assessment of his mental condition.

• dsidhe says:

Yeah, pretty much. But my default position is that he’s lying unless there’s evidence otherwise. Because he does it almost constantly, and for no apparent reason.

• Mendacious or (literally) demented? Tough choice.

I’m increasingly on board with the theory that he’s got Alzheimer’s and that’s why he needs his kids/family around for everything. He is older than Reagan was.

• royko says:

If there’s one topic he pays attention to, it’s himself.

• Gizmo says:

That press conference is going to be some dark comedy, if it actually happens. Anybody care to lay odds on him giving completely contradictory answers to the same question from two different reporters?

• PotemkinMetropolitanRegion says:

I’ve been told the Constitution is not a suicide pact. And yet here we are . . .

• Chetsky says:

Yes. I’m starting to think thru what happens if Cheeto Bandito steps aside. B/c …. there’s gotta be a number of other Rs who are compromised, and they’ll still be in there.

And (thinking partisanly), if Cheeto steps aside, Fat Termite takes over, and the Rs have no good reason to not push as hard as possible, damn the torpedoes, for their agenda, b/c ain’t no way Fat Termite can win a national election all by himself.

Shit shit.

Not a suicide pact, you say?

• bender says:

I don’t want to jinx it, but part of what makes this possibility really interesting is that there have been a couple of periods, at least one within living memory, when the Vice President resigned or died and was not immediately replaced. A series of unfortunate events might result in the Speaker of the House finishing out Trump’s term. Wouldn’t that be fun?

• Snarki, child of Loki says:

“I’ve been told the Constitution is not a suicide pact. ”

2nd Amendment says otherwise.

• Nobdy says:

Conway also lies to and manipulates the press pretty openly.

It’s one of the puzzling things about why she’s interviewed so much. You’d think that being an open liar would harm your ability to be taken seriously but I guess I used to think a lot of things that I don’t anymore.

• Gizmo says:

Thats exhibit A in the failure of contemporary TV “journalism”. They rather have somebody punctual than honest.

• CrunchyFrog says:

Conway is no different that Ann Coulter or the late Barbara Olsen. They say whatever they want and don’t give a crap about making obvious lies because they figured out it doesn’t matter. It never does for Republicans.

They are nasty, mean evil people. When they die the world becomes a better place.

• Incontinentia Buttocks says:

If the press accurately repeats what she says they are “reporting” and what they produce is “news.” And all they have to do is give her a platform. What could be easier?

• AlanInSF says:

Can we please just call her “Baghdad Bob” from now on?

• Breadbaker says:

The difference is that the real Baghdad Bob’s boss did not possess weapons of mass destruction or the means to deliver them. In nine days, her boss will.

• Domino says:

Related: isn’t the woman Putin is currently dating the one who got Kushner and Ivanka to meet for the first time?

4. ΧΤΠΔ says:

Semi-OT: How much of a dick move would calling Conway “Kolette Barbie” be?

5. efgoldman says:

It is amazing to me that Conway doesn’t need a hydraulic jack to hold the weight of her ever-growing nose.
    Salmon Shithead doesn’t know the truth from a cirrus cloud. He neither knows nor cares that he’s lying. Conway does.

• AMK says:

I dunno, there could be a genuine Stockholm syndrome thing going on where she really believes what she says.

• dsidhe says:

I don’t think so. She will say something, have it pointed out that’s not true, and then repeat it again. She doesn’t insist she’s right, she just says it again like maybe she didn’t say it the first time. She’s also a lot more likely to deflect to “But the Clintons” than you would expect if she thought what she was saying was true.

• She was a sane but evil Republican operative before joining the Trump Train, and she joined it well after it was clear what it represented. She may be deluding herself, but ultimately she knows what she’s doing.

6. The Westworld robots are gonna show up and kill us all, right? Soon?

7. Murc says:

Man, somewhere Ari Fleischer is looking at Kellyanne Conway and thinking “… fuck me, you can go that far and still keep your job? And the press will still take you seriously and treat you with respect? God damn. I shouldn’t have been holding back all those years, I should have just gone for it. Well played, Conway. Well played.”

8. Hells Littlest Angel says:

“He has said he’s not aware of that,” Conway replied of her boss …

Hey, whaddaya expect from a useful idiot, anyway?

9. e.a.foster says:

Trump is so egotistical he probably thought Putin really liked him and was providing him with whatever to just show what good friends they are. Trump is as dumb as they come.

New movie line, how Russia took over America without a single shot with real estate, banks, etc. all intact for them to start looting.

10. LosGatosCA says:

Nice to see the press honored the embargo on this until after the election. Putin told them – I’ll give the story to you but you can’t publish it until January 10.

Also, too, you must NOT credit me.

America is truly ruled by evil and/or dumb people. You’ve got Bill ‘I never saw a rule I wouldn’t disrespect’ Belichik running the Republicans while the Democrats have a hybrid MCCarthy/Reid running things for them.

11. Dr. Acula says:

I sure hope Agent Coulson has the Darkhold properly secured so that Trump can’t get his hands on it.

• rm says:

Trump’s mental fuses would all blow when he tried to read it, and then Dr. Strange would show up to confiscate it.

Thank god for the MCU, because I am going to need to spend significant time in fantasy worlds in the near future.

Interestingly, autocorrect changed “Trump” to “Truman.” Even our electronic brains are in denial.

• ΧΤΠΔ says:

Remember back when Dark Reign came out and we thought that the basic premise — Norman Osborn replacing the Avengers with public and government support — was the least believable thing Marvel Comics published?

• rm says:

It’s been twenty-five years, kid, since I had a comics-buying budget (though I am buying Black Panther now, like all good liberal elitists).

So my Marvel currency is almost all the TV and movie stuff.

But any reading in any era of Marvel history is going to include some absolutely whacked-out storylines.

• ΧΤΠΔ says:

A rough consensus for the worst 616 (i.e., main universe) runs and storylines would be, in descending order: Chuck Austen on anything, Marville, The Crossing, One More Day, Heroes Reborn, Avengers #200, and the Clone Saga (I’d personally add the original Millar-headed Civil War). The point I was trying to make was that the election makes Dark Reign a whole lot better in retrospect.

• N__B says:

What about Peter Parker with eight legs?

• ΧΤΠΔ says:

He had 8 limbs (6 arms), and it’s fairly typical for the Silver Age. Except for the original Civil War, all the events I listed are more or less universally despised by the fans (although the Clone Saga at least had some parts considered defensible).

• rm says:

The only one of these I have ever heard of is Civil War, because it was talked about as a critique of the Bush administration.

But every time I glance at a Marvel comic, they are doing some giant mega-crossover epic event which will end with the whole universe rebooting. And it always looks horrible.

I did buy the bound volumes of the first Ms.Marvel run, where Kamala Khan was a teenage hero in Jersey — and then it ended with the destruction of the universe. SO ANNOYING. Now I gather she is an Avenger. SO MUCH LESS FUN.

I guess for me Marvel will always be the Chris Claremont X-Men, Frank Miller Daredevil, Bill Sienkiewicz still drawing superhero comics.

I feel old.

• ΧΤΠΔ says:

Millar and Jenkins actually supported the pro-registration side, and considered it so obvious that they deliberately gave them unsympathetic traits for the sake of “ambiguity.” Exactly how well this worked out can be demonstrated by a) the pro-reg’s side under Millar and Jenkins were broadly received as straw men of the pro-registration side, and b) Iron Man was derailed enough that “Der Eisenführer” became a common fan nickname.

12. JonH says:

And of course the NY Times is playing nice with Trump and affecting to be above such riff-raff scuttlebutt:

Trump Received Unsubstantiated Intelligence on Ties to Russia

The uncorroborated summary says that Russia had salacious information about President-elect Donald J. Trump.

It is based on memos generated by political operatives seeking to derail Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

You know who else frequently published unsubstantiated bullshit to derail a candidacy? Hitl.. I mean, the NY Times.

• Kerans says:

I’m waiting for the story to come out about the Russians taping the Times editors paying Stephen Glass and Jayson Blair to bump uglies in the back seat of Arianna’s Prius.

13. Cheerfull says:

I was contemplating Obama’s farewell address, and then this, and trying to think of any other peaceful transition of power between people who were such complete opposites in temperament and intelligence. Marcus Aurelius to Commodus was what came immediately to mind. You could also try I suppose Lincoln to Johnson, though that was not entirely peaceful.

14. UnderTheSun says:

The reports suggest that Putin has been grooming Trump for five years. Think back to 2011/2012 and draw up a list of likely candidates to succeed Obama as president. Where would Trump be on your list? Would Trump even be on your list? So that suggests this story means one of three things; Russia has conquered time travel, Putin is a living oracle and genius, or most likely, this story is complete BS just like the “Russia hacking DNC/Podesta” one is.

• Cheerfull says:

Does it specify he was being groomed as potential president? A compliant Trump would be useful to Russia even if he weren’t president, but simply a force in the Republican party, and an useful mouthpiece.

• weirdnoise says:

Maybe. But it’s entirely possible that (1) Trump was pwned for more pedestrian reasons (such as his enormous debt to Russian oligarchs), but (2) the Ruskies are intelligent opportunists, and when Trump started drawing attention in the primaries took the opportunity to consolidate their grip.

• Snarki, child of Loki says:

“Would Trump even be on your list?”

WHO ELSE is on that list?

• Todd says:

At the very least, a loudmouth and very famous ‘billionaire’ with a penchant for publicly throwing current Presidents under the bus (often after praising them), and is on tv/internet 25 hours a day would be a useful tool.

• rm says:

Wasn’t Trump already pushing the birther conspiracy then? They didn’t expect him to run for office, but he was a massive media presence who they could easily manipulate and who was working on delegitimizing the American political system. They must be as amazed as anyone that he busted out of that niche.

• JonH says:

If Trump hadn’t steamrolled all his GOP opponents, I’m sure Russia could have hacked something and dug up some damaging information that could be released via Wikileaks.

They may have already compiled such information about Cruz, Bush, and Rubio. They just didn’t need to use it.

Thus, having groomed and turned Trump as an asset, they’d have a good chance of making him the GOP frontrunner if he wasn’t able to get there himself.

• BigHank53 says:

If I were a billionaire businessman doing business in Russia, I would assume that state security services were taking an interest in who I talked to, what promises I made, where I spent money, and how many prostitutes I hired. During the bad old days of the Cold War, every single hotel room available to Westerners was wired for sound.

If they think it’s useful to have a handle on someone–and an international investor certainly qualifies as “someone”–they’ll look for a handle.

• gmack says:

Meh. I’m deeply skeptical of the story as it has been reported, but I don’t think it requires us to assume Putin is some sort of oracular genius who knew that Trump would be president. All that it requires is for Putin to think that Trump might be a useful idiot.

• Crusty says:

I suspect that Putin’s initial interest in Trump had something to do with keeping track of where Russian billionaires were stashing their cash. At some point, it had become somewhat commonplace for Russian oligarchs to purchase luxury manhattan apartments costing eight figures or more. Trump at least pretends to have some connection to this world.

15. randy khan says:

This, by the way, was an interview on a late late night talk show, not usually the venue for hard-hitting questions, so his open skepticism is even more notable. (Imagine if she’d had the guts to go on, oh, Colbert’s show.)

16. Watching that interview I was struck by how often Conway brought up the same tired talking point that certain commenters have on LGM, namely: “Hillary had $1.2 billion and didn’t campaign in Michigan/her messaging was ineffective, therefore the Russians did not interfere in the election”. How does it feel to be in such intellectual company?

17. JB2 says: