Let them eat fake

[ 104 ] January 21, 2017 |

Republicans aren’t just evil, they’re tacky.

Amid the glitz of President Trump’s inaugural festivities, one item stood out in particular late Friday night: a spectacular nine-tier cake that the new president and Vice President Pence cut into with a sword.

To pastry chef Duff Goldman, the cake seemed a little too familiar — because it looked almost exactly like one he had made years earlier for Barack Obama’s second inauguration as president.

Just after midnight, the Food Network personality posted a side-by-side comparison of two cakes on his Twitter account.

And for a few hours yesterday the banner for Trump’s Twitter account showed a crowd shot from Obama’s 2009 inauguration. It’s probably just a matter of time before President Petite Mains starts smearing himself with Bobbi Brown 7.5 and insisting everyone call him Barack.

…Tiffany MacIsaac, owner of Washington’s Buttercream Bakeshop, stepped forward to say she had been the one to create the much-talked-about cake.

She said that the order came in while she was out of town, and that the client had brought in a photo of the cake from Obama’s inauguration asking her to re-create it.

“They came to us a couple of weeks ago, which is pretty last minute, and said ‘We have a photo that we would like to replicate,’ ” MacIsaac told The Washington Post by phone. Her bakery tried to encourage the client to use the photo as “inspiration,” as they do with many others, she said.

“They said, ‘Nope, they want this exact cake. It’s perfect.’ And we said, great,” MacIsaac said.

Of course. One thing Republicans aren’t is creative. That’s why their ideal society is pre-emancipation plus modern utilities and medicine for the deserving. Taking things from other people, that’s what they’re good at.

And now, the punchline.

MacIsaac said the attention caught her by surprise partly because, per the order, the Trump cake was intended to be more of a prop: All but a three-inch slice at the bottom was inedible.

“It’s just a Stryofoam cake. It’s not for eating,” she said. “I wasn’t expecting it to be seen on TV.”

Thank goodness things aren’t too metaphoric or anything.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. Judas Peckerwood says:

The mind boggles.

2. Erik Loomis says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

3. Aimai says:

Hey Shakezula! I was at the Boston March with my daughter and basically everyone else in the world t I know was there but we couldn’t meet up or find anyone because there was zero cell service. I spent a lot of time checking online to see if I could see pictures from the other rallies or get any news but no luck! They are saying now that we had 175,000–my spouse thought it was at least 150,000. We never got to march at all because there was just not enough room to move. But it was exhiliterating. I thought of you trying to live blog and I was so hoping to hook up with you online somehow and kind of share the experience. Here is hoping we can forge a real backlash against Trump and the GOP. I’d love to see a city by city report out of action items and requests for help from the march organizers and local people–some of these numbers seem small by world standards but a few thousand really committed people in some of these towns are a huge number of activists by any standard. We really do need our own “Not a ladylike tea party” local activist base to spring up and drive the republicans from office, one by one by one.

• Erik Loomis says:

Who is running against Charlie Baker?!?

• West says:

The names I’ve seen mentioned so far are Maura Healey (Atty Gen), Seth Moulton (in House of Reps from north shore), and Setti Warren (mayor of Newton).

None are official, I think, but I’m not sure about that.

• West says:

Just rummaged around online a bit, in an article about Setti Warren, Politico asserted

Other names being floated as potential challengers include former state senator Dan Wolf, Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone, Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll, U.S. Rep. Joe Kennedy III, U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton, and U.S. Rep. Katherine Clark.

Interesting that Healey’s name isn’t there, I’ve heard a lot about her. And seeing this, I guess I had heard about Clark, too. I think she’s been good in Congress. Curtatone has been a good mayor, I’m glad to see his name floated.

• efgoldman says:

Somerville Mayor Joe Curtatone, Salem Mayor Kim Driscoll

Historically, mayors/former mayors don’t do well statewide.

U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton, and U.S. Rep. Katherine Clark.

Moulton and Clark are both first-termers. I think the state would be better served if they stayed in DC. They are both up-and-comers, meet all the checkboxes.

• Aimai says:

If maura healey isn’t running I’ll eat my pink pussy hat. She gives a great speech and she is out there at every possible rally. Her best line at today’s rally “Mr Trump–Massachusetts will see you in court!”

• West says:

That’s the impression I’ve been getting too. Also, I get about six emails a day from her and her sister/campaign manager. She is fiery, I like that.

Don’t eat that hat, it’ll need additional rally use.

• West says:

I tend to agree on Moulton and Clark, I think I’d prefer them in Congress – they’re not my Reps, but both seem good.

My sense is that Healey probably has the best name recognition state-wide; curious to know if you agree. I’d also be curious if MA is ready to elect a gay governor; I am, but the majority? The social liberalism isn’t as deep as rumored here.

• Davis X. Machina says:

They elected the black guy — twice. So I wouldn’t rule it out.

• Aimai says:

Someone else can correct me but my personal feeling is that if Maura Healey is a lesbian that isn’t necessary a bar to making it into the governor’s office. MA conservative voters are misogynists–but there’s a kind of misogynist who thinks a lesbian is a woman who wants to be a man and so at least she has her head screwed on straight.

We have historically had a hard time getting a woman into that office–and had a hard time getting a Dem in ever since people began ticket splitting out of resentment. But if the race becomes a revenge vote for Democrats–revenge for Hillary and for Trump, then I think the Democrat sweeps in regardless of who they are. I would crawl over broken glass to humiliate a republican at this point. I mean–I always would but I think this is true of everyone else in the state at this point. Baker is tap dancing as fast as he can to pretend that he isn’t a standard republican (he is) and not a totally hateful person (he is). He’s already cut off some weekend backpack food program for the kids in schools who have no access to food at home and depend on school lunches for most of their nutrition.

Whenever Baker comes up for re-election–and I don’t think its for four years–my knife will be out for him and I don’t think I’ll be alone.

• West says:

Baker’s up in 2018. I agree fully on your take; he has got to go.

Your take on MA style misogyny is hilarious and has the ring of truth.

I want Baker out of that office to badly I sometimes hyperventilate, he has really got to go.

• Aimai says:

Another way of looking at Healey is she’s white and irish and can probably go into a pub and drink a boilermaker.

• Erik Loomis says:

is she’s white and irish

Is this question settled?

• West says:

Trying to reply to Erik’s post “is this question settled?”

Sorry to be obtuse, but what’s the question? If it’s about her ancestry, yup, I think it’s settled.

If it was “well, she’s white and Irish so she’s all set politically, right?”, then my answer would be not necessarily. We’re talking about the governor’s office, not mayor of Boston. Since the turn of the century, we’ve had Cellucci (obviously Italian descent), Swift (partially Irish descent but wasn’t elected to governor’s office), Romney (loudly Mormon), Patrick (African American), and now Baker (about as WASPy as a man can be). Other examples at the state-wide electoral level: Scott Brown (WASP) and Elizabeth Warren (comes across as mid-Western plain vanilla white, and I will not stop to the other ancestry stuff on here).

My point: being of white Irish ancestry is not even remotely some sort of smooth pass at the state level in MA. Sure as hell is not a disqualified, either. And to Aimai’s point, she very much does come across as someone who could go in a pub, throw down a boilermaker, and not look like it was her first. For whatever that’s worth (too much, I fear).

Lastly, if Erik was trying to dismiss all this sarcastically, along the lines of “just run the best candidate and not worry this sorts of rings”, fine, I agree, I won’t just vote for Healey, I’ve mentally got her down as someone I might go door to door for her (or I might go back to my home state of PA and make myself useful there, haven’t decided my best use of time in 2018 – no hurry).

• Lee Rudolph says:

Trying

too hard

to reply to Erik’s post “is this question settled?”

Erik was, I am sure, simply alluding to the fact, often noted hereabouts, that “Irish” was not “white” once upon a time—even (especially!) in places like Boston and New York City.

• West says:

I was there, too, great time. Me, the missus and our older daughter (younger daughter couldn’t get off work, alas) were up near the Soldier’s and Sailor’s Monument and once all the speechifying was done, it took us 90 minutes to get down to the corner of Charles / Beacon, where the march route officially started. That’s normally about a 45 second walk. Still a blast anyhow, especially once the sun came out.

• prognostication says:

Me three!

I missed all of the speechifying. Getting a train in from the suburbs proved challenging. I parked on a random side street in the suburbs, walked to the T, found that every train was coming into the station full to the brim and impossible to board, so I took a train all the way back out to the end of the line, caught an empty train into the city there. I was one of several dozen who did that at my stop alone. The upside of arriving late was that it gave me a chance to join the march near the front, as there was no way to get anywhere near Boston Common anyway at that point. Good crowd, good energy.

• Aimai says:

We couldn’t get on the red line at harvard square so we came back up and grabbed a cab and sailed in to government center. Were standing from 11-3 and part of that time we were heading, creeping really, towards the march.

• West says:

You were in my neighborhood, I bet, along the D line, right? If not, that’s what folks were doing there. I have never seen the D that packed on a weekend except for Sox victory parades. We ended up driving in and parking at Tufts Med. I commute regularly by train so assuaged my guilt by reminding myself of that.

Good that you got close, you could probably hear. We couldn’t really, except Senators Warren and Markey, and some of Healey; the rest weren’t yelling into the mike well enough to carry up on the hill where we were. Still a blast, though. The inventiveness of sign-making was impressive.

4. J— says:

A Potemkin cake on the Potomac.

5. DrDick says:

This is the absolute quintessence of the Trump administration.

• Karen24 says:

Isn’t it, though? By itself it’s not a particularly big deal, and if it were the only thing I would think everyone should lay off. In this case, though, the man’s entire history is of things best described by the Spanish word “chingales” — cut rate ripoffs that are both dishonest and also unnecessary. Buy a real cake, dammit, and buy your own.

6. veleda_k says:

I like that MacIsaac donated the proceeds to the Human Rights Campaign.

7. pillsy says:

Once you look past the corrupt, potentially world-threatening, horror of the Trump Administration, you are forced to confront the inexplicably bizarre little details of the Trump Administration.

8. georgekaplan says:

“Of course. One thing Republicans aren’t is creative.”

Yeah, that’s a bit of a problem when the only sort of success you value is how much money you can make without working for it, and the only schooling you think kids should get in grade school is memorizing some patriotic myths and a limited selection of Bible quotes: it gets a bit difficult to find any American who can actually create things. Also difficult when your official position is that ONLY Americans can actually create things.

• Judas Peckerwood says:

Excellent gesture, though I can think of about a hundred worthier recipients off the top of my head.

• randy khan says:

So long as it wasn’t Focus on the Family, I’m okay with it.

• PhoenixRising says:

Do tell what the more appropriate recipients for the profits from a plagiarized cake would be.

Please explain why the national organization that advocates against ‘religious freedom’ bills that literally claim cake-baking is a form of speech protected by the First Amendment–when it’s for a same-sex couple’s wedding–is not your first choice for that.

The irony of DC GOP party planners stealing a cake design has other levels, but I’m just not sure INTA takes donations (the other, not-gay irony having to do with IP protections that US businesses insist on but won’t pay taxes adequate to enforce, leading to an industry in litigation that need not exist).

• wjts says:

I think it’s more about the organization, which has taken some deserved flak for things like its endorsement of Mark Kirk over Tammy Duckworth, than its goals.

• Judas Peckerwood says:

Let’s just say that I used to work for HRC and have seen the organization from the inside, and leave it at that.

• PhoenixRising says:

You didn’t mention which brand of sausage maker you endorse, presumably because like myself you’ve observed from the inside that all of them are taking questionable pieces of entrails and packaging them into a delicious treat that is mainly marketing.

9. randy khan says:

So, the Russian hotel room, the Lincoln Bible for the swearing in, the cake. The pattern is unmistakable.

And, like the cake being fake, he never actually touched the Bible – it stayed in its protective case because of the weather. You can see from the photos that his family Bible (or whatever they ginned up to be his family Bible) is on top of the case.

• Captain Oblivious says:

whatever they ginned up to be his family Bible

Probably a Gideon one from Trump Hotel.

• synykyl says:

I hear he can’t touch a Bible without bursting onto flames.

• Warren Terra says:

You’re being completely unfair. Trump has a great deal of respect for the Bible, and learned a lot from it. The Bible is a best-selling book that wasn’t actually written by its titular author, and is a marketing tool for a global branding enterprise that promises the downtrodden that their support and generosity will be rewarded in a future life (that cannot be audited) – and that enterprise doesn’t pay any taxes!

What’s there for Trump not to love? Sure, that Jesus fellow mouths off some of the most appalling socialist tripe – but Trump is perfectly happy to promise that everyone will have wonderful, the best possible health insurance. Sometimes you have to sound Bolshie for the rabble, doesn’t mean anything.

• Platypus Prime says:

Wait, he actually didn’t touch the almighty ceremonial book of almightiness? (I’m staying away from the media this weekend for the sake of sanity.)

Given how much flak Obama got for the minor hiccup at the 2012 inauguration (John Roberts misspoke, I believe), the same logic should be applied here. Because, clearly, one can’t become president unless all the parts of the magical ritual are in their right place…

(Come on, we all know Fox News would have had a nervous meltdown if Obama – or Hillary – hadn’t touched magic book.)

• Warren Terra says:

The oath bobble was in 2009, I think.

And: Trump used the Lincoln Bible in his inauguration, presumably to metaphorically piss all over Obama having used it in his two inaugurations. Or maybe because he assumed it was standard to use the Lincoln Bible, it having been used in the last two inaugurations, and didn’t understand that Obama had selected it for particular symbolic reasons.

• GeorgeBurnsWasRight says:

It’s a two-fer. Trump got to piss all over Lincoln, too.

• Moondog von Superman says:

So, the Russian hotel room, the Lincoln Bible for the swearing in, the cake

Melania’s (Michelle’s) speech
      Using Obama 2009 photo for Twitter backdrop

10. science_goy says:

Bush had his flight suit, Trump has his “cake.” Plus ça change…

11. Fats Durston says:

It’s as though they can’t imagine any form of human interaction other than theft.

12. Captain Oblivious says:

I was going to write a poem, but I couldn’t think of a word that rhymes with “plagiarize”.

13. Fats Durston says:

The cake is a lie.

14. jamesjhare says:

This most recent post from “Petula Dvorak” really makes it clear that we’re probably not dealing with a real human being. A real human wouldn’t have the chutzpah to make the Women’s March about MEN but Petulant UnusedKeyboardLayout is here to tell us that the Women’s March is really about the men attending: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/at-the-womens-march-its-the-men-who-mattered-most-heres-why/2017/01/21/37488e92-e019-11e6-918c-99ede3c8cafa_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-bignews4_dvorak-740pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

15. Captain Oblivious says:

Also worth noting is Mrs P’s decision wear a spaghetti-strap gown that shows her very obvious tan line.

I’m not normally one for criticizing how people dress, but JFC — this is the presidential inauguration, not Friday night at the Indianapolis Pops concert.

• jamesjhare says:

Now now — the incoming administration would never do something so uncouth as to install a hot tub at the White House.

• Captain Oblivious says:

In all seriousness — sort of — if a middle-aged woman doesn’t have the gym-toned body of, say, Michelle Obama, she shouldn’t be wearing spaghetti-strap off-the-shoulder ball gowns in the first place. But if she must, there’s this shit called “makeup” that you can use to hide the tan lines.

• SV says:

Yes, she should cover her shame. If the hypothetical middle-aged woman is far skinnier than the conventional standard, does the same rule apply? Are freckles and scars and birthmarks and skin pigmentation conditions also things that shouldn’t be seen in public*?

*On women

• ProgressiveLiberal says:

OK, you are all doing it wrong. Stop.

16. Morbo says:

This is some Fatal Attraction ish right here.

17. PhoenixRising says:

That’s rich, coming from the party that advocates for a definition of ‘speech’ that includes…wait for it…cakes for weddings.

18. VonnegutFeeling says:

“President Petite Mains”

Delicious.

Reminds me of Mel Brooks’s governor character from Blazing Saddles, William J. Lepetomane, which led me here:

19. starbuckle says:

A Styrofoam cake for a presidential inauguration??? What next? Are you going to try to tell me that the President will serve a plastic turkey on Thaksgiving???

20. […] Now that Trump is in office they seem to feel that the gloves can come off.  Well, if they had felt that way a year ago about his blatant bullshit and inability to keep a story straight from the start of one paragraph to the end of it, perhaps we wouldn’t be forced to watch the reincarnation of Josef Goebbels in drag chirping away on “Meet The Press” telling us that their “facts” are “alternative facts.”  Now it’s already baked into the cake. […]