People Whose Lives Were Saved By the Medicaid Expansion Are the Jews of Liberal Fascism

[ 65 ] May 5, 2014 |

Shorter Verbatim Sen. Stacey Campfield (R-Tenn): “Democrats bragging about the number of mandatory sign ups for Obamacare is like Germans bragging about the number of manditory sign ups for “train rides” for Jews in the 40s.”

I’d have to say that this was a particularly unfortunate day for this kind of thing.

His follow-up comment doesn’t help. Sample:

I regret that some people miss the point of my post. It was not to offend. It was to warn. To draw attention to Obamacare and the slippery slope that I see occurring in the lives of myself, my constituents, and the rest of the country with the continued taking of freedom by the federal government.

If only another liberal democracy had even more government intervention into healthcare, so we could see if this was an inevitable slippery slope to totalitarianism. Sadly, we’ll never know. He goes on to note that despite his trivialization of the Holocaust and his support for repealing policies that will save countless lives, nobody can question his commitment to human life given his support for using state coercion to force (some classes of) women to carry pregnancies to term. He is not a crackpot.

UPDATE: The other Scott has more.

1. wjts says:

Every citizen now faces the possibility of their tax dollars going to pay for a government funded abortion.

Oh, no! Not my tax dollars! Those are my favorite dollars!

2. Erik Loomis says:

I was living in east TN in the late 90s when Campfield started rising in the ranks. He was a cretin then and I’d like to say it’s amazing he is reaching the point of having a national reputation, but sadly it’s not amazing.

• cpinva says:

his “national” reputation is similar to AZ’s rancher Bundy, not a real good one.

• howard says:

i actually emailed the guy yesterday to explain how offensive it was to me as an american jew whose entire great-grandparental generation was wiped out in the holocaust to see him compare the insurance mandate to killing people for the crime of not being aryans.

he wrote back with similar claptrap about how jews should be especially sensitive to incursions on freedom precisely because of the claptrap.

and i wrote back to him to say “hey, you don’t tell me how to be jewish and i won’t tell you how to be christian, but i will tell you this: the jews of israel, virtually all of whom have familial relations who were murdered in the holocaust, nonetheless have a mandatory insurance regime with health care the right of a citizen. i guess they don’t agree with you.”

oddly, he didn’t write back to that one!

for those who would like to join me in assaulting his inbox: sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov

3. Patrick Phelan says:

Ah, it’s another episode of “My Little Senator: Intent Is Magic”. No wonder this show is so popular in breakout demographics.

“I didn’t intend to offend people with my comparison of the Affordable Care Act to the Holocaust; I just intended to compare the Affordable Care Act to the Holocaust” is not an argument.

4. asmallmoose says:

To be fair, the healthcare on those trains was phenomenal.

5. Nobdy says:

A guide to talking about the Holocaust, for Republicans.

Are you at an event memorializing the dead of the holocaust?

Congratulations, you can talk about the holocaust. You can say that it was very very bad and no good and we must not let it happen again.

If you are VERY advanced you can say that the Holocaust should spur us to stop current genocides like those in Sudan, or even civilian murder like in Syria. You probably shouldn’t, though, because you will start off trying to talk about Syria and end up comparing property taxes to the holocaust because you are a Republican and that’s what you do. Note these must be real genocides where people die, not like a genocide of tax dollars or the genocide of free speech when you don’t get to shout prayers loudly into a Muslim’s ear.

Are you not at an event memorializing the dead of the holocaust?

DON’T TALK ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST. YOU ARE GOING TO COMPARE IT TO SOMETHING STUPID LIKE A MARGINAL INCOME TAX OF 39%. I JUST KNOW IT. FOR THE LOVE OF PETE JUST FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO TALK ABOUT.

This has been a guide to talking about the holocaust for Republicans.

• cpinva says:

I think your major problem here is that most of them seem to be operating at a barely functionally illiterate level.

“This has been a guide to talking about the holocaust for Republicans.”

and don’t even ask about their constituents, there just aren’t enough anti-depressants!

• Walt says:

That’s pretty fucking funny.

• JMP says:

But most Republicans can’t even get to that class because they’ve failed Talking About Slavery. They still can’t understand that government programs that benefit poor black people are in fact the same as slavery, nor can they get that not all black people are poor, or that there are white poor people who benefit from the same government programs as well.

6. Joseph Nobles says:

Obamacare is exactly like the Holocaust, if by trains shipping folks off to ovens, you mean people getting healthcare without danger of losing their entire livelihood to medical bankruptcy, and by the person proposing such a comparison, you mean a complete effing lunatic.

7. LosGatosCA says:

Of course the rank and file of white, gun toting supremacist party OWN ‘I am not a racist’ most commonly spoken right after saying or agreeing with racist statements uttered by their evil racist twins, aka other conservative Republican TeaBaggers.

8. Warren Terra says:

Steve M. of the blog No More Mister Nice Guy has a good post tracking some of this guy’s extensive track record as a troll.

But, yeah, what a tool. Who knew that Industrialized Genocide was indistinguishable from, say, Food Stamps, because after all both are Government Programs. Just as I am the same as a Velociraptor, both of us being Bipedd.

• ajay says:

I am the same as a Velociraptor, both of us being Bipedd.

It’s spelled with two Ds, for a double dose of his velociraptoring.

‘I am not a crackpot’ has to enter the pantheon things a Republican has to be forced to utter. Joining the more famous ‘I am not a crook’ and the less famous ‘I am not a witch.’

There are too many voters. Please suppress 20% of them. PS: I am not a crank.

9. Sly says:

And although he’s white [...] he once tried to join Tennessee’s Black Legislative Caucus; when he was denied membership, he compared the Caucus to the Ku Klux Klan, arguing that the Klan doesn’t restrict membership by race.

How could anyone possibly think that this guy is a troll?

And what about that NAACP, huh? I bet if I created the National Association for the Advancement of White People, I’d get called a bigot. That’s because black people are the Klansmen of liberal racism.

10. Major Kong says:

All I need to see is “(R-Tenn)” to know that something incredibly stupid sounding is likely to follow.

11. calling all toasters says:

Obamacare? Piffle. The real Holocaust is the criticism Sen. Campfield is bound to receive.

12. jkay says:

But, isn’t he right? How isn’t such industrial-sized niceness going to kill that kind of radical evil?

13. Keanu__B says:

Stacey Campfield sings this song
    Doo dah doo dah
    I’m sorry if you thought I’m wrong…

14. LeeEsq says:

At least half the country needs Obamacare to get psychological help.

15. Chris says:

How can we? The world is a binary equation, with “America” on one side and “Stalinist death-camp countries” on the other.

Well, except for Israel, which actually matters more than America, at least until it’s served its purpose as a human sacrifice during the Apocalypse.

• mds says:

Well, except for Israel, which actually matters more than America

Yet also, as it turns out, has even more government intervention into healthcare. And what event was intimately involved with the creation of the modern state of Israel? The Holocaust. Connect the dots, sheeple!

16. Shakezula says:

Someone get this man a presidential campaign team!

17. Denverite says:

Fact. Obamacare gets people to the hospital.

Fact. When most people die, they’re in the hospital.

Fact. They feed you soup in the hospital.

Recap. Obamacare gets you to a place where they feed you soup and people go when they die.

SCIENCE, bitches.

18. mds says:

“I regret that some folks of a Jew persuasion were offended by my remarks, presumably because they fail to see the obvious parallels. To make it up to them, I would invite them to join me in state-sponsored, explicitly sectarian Christian prayer.”

19. ralphdibny says:

“I think Jewish people should be the first to stand up against Obamacare,” Campfield told the AP Monday in a phone interview. “When you have government deciding who gets health insurance and who doesn’t, what services they get and what services they have to provide, they’re really deciding who lives and who dies.”

We want EVERYONE to get health insurance, you fuckwad!

Republican logic seems to work like this: The ACA is a government program designed by my political enemies. I work in government, and I am a miserable, vindictive little shit who, like all of my government pals, is out to screw over others for my own benefit. That is what government does. Therefore, the ACA must be designed to screw me and my pals over and so must be stopped.

• Autonomous Coward says:

The entirety of the American right wing is predicated on the elite rightist’s assumption that everyone is as horrible a person (in nearly every sense of that term) as they nearly always are.

20. joe from Lowell says:

See, when the Nazis came to power, the first thing they did was implement a system of subsidies for the purchase of health insurance. Gradually, over time, the program expanded into gassing Jews.

I call this theory “The Road to Derpdom.”

21. […] I mentioned in the comments on the Stacey Campfield post where he compared Obamacare to the Holocaust, I lived in east Tennessee in the late 90s when he was getting his start. He’s always been a […]

22. Epicurus says:

Shorter Sen. Stacey Campfield: “Don’t know much about history….” or anything else he didn’t hear on Faux Snooze or from the fat, addled drug addict. YA reason to be glad I don’t live anywhere in the New Confederacy. There are some pretty places in Tennessee, but this man’s mind ain’t one of them.

23. […] Tenn. Republican claims getting people to sign up for Obamacare is like sending them to Auschwitz. No, I’m not […]