Lawyers, Guns & Money podcast: Game of Thrones, Season 4, Episode 3: “Breaker of Chains”

[ 11 ] April 21, 2014 |

SEK & Steven Attewell on the new episode of Game of Thrones. Enjoy!

Audio available here.

Purchase Steven Attewell’s Race for the Iron Throne: Political and Historical Analysis of “A Game of Thrones” at that link. You know you want to!

1. Barry Freed says:

Something is wrong with the mp3 file (which is how I listen to it). It’s only 57.6 KB :(

2. David Hunt says:

How far into Season 4 can we expect to get the your podcasts so quickly? I can tell from your comments that you were given to advance copies for purposes of writing reviews and such, but I don’t know how far into the Season that advance access extends. Can we expect one of these podcasts within hours of airtime all the way through the season?

p.s. It’s great that you guys do this. Thanks for it.

• SEK says:

From this point forward, sadly, we’re going to record them on Monday afternoon and post them on Monday evening. (I work the 4 a.m. until 2 p.m. shift at Raw Story, so I won’t be available to do them any earlier.)

3. Bob Loblaw says:

Good discussion, guys.

The show writers are in an uncomfortable place at the Wall; there’s really not enough story left up there to sustain a season-long arc. It’s not that I’m per se opposed to seeing more of what Gilly’s doing, but knowing where her story is going, it seems superfluous.

4. joe from Lowell says:

Steven, if you see this:

I didn’t get on it time to take part in the Q&A, so here goes:

It’s clear that the Essos civilizations draw on the history of many ancient/classical era civilizations. Do you think the different cities are meant to be one-to-one representations of particular civilizations, or does Martin mix and match elements of various nations/eras to create them?

• David Hunt says:

I expect Steven will see this, but in case he doesn’t, he cross-posts these podcasts to his on site, Race to the Iron Throne at:

If you post the question to the comments there, you can be sure that he’ll see it.

• Always a mix-and-match. I’m in the process of writing a longer essay series about this, but:

- Braavos is a rich mix of Renaissance Venice and Amsterdam.

- we know less about it, but Myr seems to resemble Renaissance Florence, what with all the whacky inventions.

- Volantis is late, late Byzantium but with slavery dialed up to 11 and given a racial caste, elements of Sparta there.

- Pentos reminds me a lot of Renaissance Genoa; very merchantile, fingers in the slave trade, etc.

- the cities of Slaver’s Bay are a cross between a post-Roman Phoenician revival and the antebellum South.