Could it be that the GOP’s methods have become . . .

[ 36 ] September 27, 2013 |

kurtz

. . . unsound?

This message showed up today in the in-boxes of a whole lot of lawyers:

“In the event of a government shutdown on October 1, 2013, the federal judiciary will remain open for business for approximately ten business days. On or around October 15, 2013, the Judiciary will reassess its situation and provide further guidance. All proceedings and deadlines remain in effect as scheduled, unless otherwise advised. Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) will remain in operation for the electronic filing of documents with courts.”

1. agorabum says:

I don’t see any methods at all…

But Ted Cruz? You listen to him. The man’s enlarged my mind. He’s a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean, sometimes he’ll, uh, well, you’ll say hello to him, right? And he’ll just walk right by you, and he won’t even notice you. And suddenly he’ll grab you, and he’ll throw you in a corner, and he’ll say “Do you know that ‘if’ is the middle word in life? ‘If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you’…” I mean, I’m no, I can’t – I’m a little man, I’m a little man, he’s, he’s a great man. “I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas”

2. cleter says:

I became more and more convinced that the GOP had gone insane.

3. shah8 says:

Well, judging the process and motivation, I’d say that the GOP is trying for an effective impeachment action that doesn’t need the cooperation of anyone but the House GOP to enact.

• My $0.02 says:

This. They want him to blow past the debt ceiling or mint the trillion dollar coin or somesuch. Then they impeach. The Senate would never remove him, of course, but then the GOP candidate can run in 2016 on the “restoring law and order to the Oval Office” platform.

4. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Saigon….shit. I’m still only in Saigon….

5. Davis X. Machina says:

Tom Harkin, noted moonbat and crazy-person:

It’s dangerous. It’s very dangerous. I believe, Mr. President, we are at one of the most dangerous points in our history right now. Every bit as dangerous as the break-up of the Union before the Civil War.

6. efgoldman says:

BTW, the top ad in the right-hand frame is for Lincoln School of Law.
    “Our focus is your success!”
    IANAL and I don’t play one on TV.

7. Pooh says:

This strikes me as a feature not a bug – what’s a legal right if you have no venue in which to vindicate that right?

8. DrDick says:

I believe that the phrase you are looking for is “completely unhinged.”

9. RepubAnon says:

Shutting down the federal courts delays any possible indictment of Jamie Dimon, puts a hold on litigation to enforce federal regulations, allows criminals to walk the streets (spurring gun sales) – what’s not to like? For Republicans, anyway…

10. herr doktor bimler says:

And I thought, “My God, the genius of that, the genius, the will to do that.” Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they could stand that–these were not monsters, these were men, trained cadres, these men who fought with their hearts, who have families, who have children, who are filled with love–that they had this strength, the strength to do that.

11. Do-Lung bridge grunt says:

Go get the Roach!

12. N__B says:

The House Republican caucus is full of Captain Ahabs, and Obama is their Moby Dick.

Given who Charles Blow is, I have to assume that his use of a white whale metaphor is intentional in every sense.

13. Shwell Thanksh says:

I love the smell of market uncertainty in the morning.

14. Anonymous says:

Did Douthat steal this idea for an NYT op-ed today?