My Conciliatory Message to Republicans on Obama Winning Reelection

[ 200 ] November 6, 2012 |

…[SL] Karl Rove is complaining that the election was prematurely called. Karl Rove. Swear to God.

1. I would like to echo those sentiments.

2. [SL]: I don’t always watch Fox News. But when I do, it’s after MSNBC has called the tipping point state.

If only there was a pithy internet tradition-abbreviation wherein I could express my outright, verbally articulated laughter in three short letters.

3. blonde lady on Fox News says:

but it is only because Obama unfairly attack Romney
    and bailed out the auto industry. Damn you Ohio.

4. Uncle Ebeneezer says:

Woot! Woot!

5. Corey says:

So, is it OK to criticize him now? Because fuck drones and fuck silence on climate change.

6. Joshua says:

I know it’s not much for them in the grand scheme of things, but I am so glad that all these rich fucks burned ~$550 million and couldn’t get their man in office.

• Erik Loomis says:

One huge story is how Citizens United made no difference at all in the presidential election. Downballot I think it is very different. But the idea that the rich can buy elections through commercials seems wrong. I think that people just tune out after x number of ads.

• props says:

state initiatives seem like the best bang for your plutocratic dollar

• Warren Terra says:

Also legislators, school regulators, and especially judges, where state laws permit. One of the shocking lessons of watching Dubya and learning about his Texas was just how crazy his state supreme court had gotten.

• dougR says:

Yeah, the thing I was REALLY concerned about was Republican voter intimidation efforts–which got lots of play going into Nov 6, but on the actual day, a nothingburger. (Election thugs have to be trained, housed, fed and transported, and someone has to pay for it!) But I surfed the usual-suspect lefty blogs for reports of any real R-thug presence at polling places, and pretty much didn’t find it. Makes me wonder if the vast tidal waves of Republican cash this election season encouraged stupid, nonproductive expenditure at many levels–it would thrill me no end to find out that all the right-wing crackpot money was basically lit on fire and had negligible effect overall.

• Bill Murray says:

well it’s not like the Dems didn’t spend a crap load of money too

• Colin says:

My parents are in Ohio, and this was exactly what happened not just among them, but (as they tell it) among many of their friends of different partisan stripes. Everybody was sick of the ads, and just tuned them out and voted the same way they would have with or without ads. The PAC funding didn’t change a damn thing for presidential choices. It may matter in other types of races down the road, and I expect those funding PACs to try to make things more “assured” for their own interests in the future. But tonight….this is good news.

• Bruce Baugh says:

I do think there’s a lot to be said for Rick Perlstein’s recent argument that a lot of the lack of expected/foreseeable impact is due to money being hoovered away by grifters. Zealots who are a bit less into mooching on the side can still get a lot done with their money, it’s just that they’re kind of marginal at the movement’s higher levels.

• bradP says:

I noticed several graphics last night that said Obama vastly outspent Romney on campaign ads.

• bradP says:

But apparently that was just campaign spending not including outside spending, which was heavily Romney.

I think the final split was somewhere around 60-40 Romney.

• BertieW says:

No question about it, special interest money purchased the charter initiatives in Washington and Georgia. In Washington alone, the charter opponents were outspent 15-1.

• Throw all of the money they spend on Senate races, too. They thought they were buying a Republican Senate.

7. LeeEsq says:

Hip, hip, hooray.

8. norbizness says:

(GOP lies unconscious, twitching on the ground)

Milhous: Hey, I think that they’re becoming a marginalized, regional party with no future demographic or electoral prospects.

Nelson: I *said* “Ha-ha”

9. Njorl says:

Mostly, I’m glad that all those pundits who took shots at Nate Silver have to retire now.

10. Uncle Ebeneezer says:

Imagine all the people crying in their pancakes…

11. Manju says:

You should add another “Ha” for me. This Republican voted for Obama.

Clearly I was induced to vote against my own interests by the Dems exploitation of social issues…like their criticism of various Repubican pro-rape positions.

You really got me.

12. SEK says:

I wonder what our overconfident trolls will make of this turn of events?

That’s right, we’ll never see them again.

13. Malaclypse says:

I feel every bit as happy as I did when this happened.

14. Manju says:

I’m going to withhold judgement until UnSkewed Polls dot com weighs in.

15. May I add a somber “suck my ass”?

16. Barry Freed says:

Thank god. Though I suppose Obama is going to go celebrate with a couple of drone strikes.

17. elm says:

Karl Rove refuses to accept that Ohio should have been called, even though Fox themselves have called it. Very entertaining to hear the rest of Fox News respond to him.

18. Murc says:

So what’s everyone drinking?

I’ve got some Waupoos here. It’s a Canadian hard cider, very good; crisp, with a strong but pleasing aftertaste. Can’t actually buy it down here, I brought it back from my last drip there.

What all else is everyone throwing back?

19. Malaclypse says:

Fox now saying the real message of the election is the need for Democrats to reach across the aisle.

I’m thinking more along the lines of burning the Republican party to the ground, and salting the Old Confederacy with the ashes. I think I like my real message better.

20. Barry Freed says:

What is good in life?

21. SEK says:

Here’s what commenters are saying at conservative websites:

Rent out your house or put it on a contract with a buyer if you don’t get a buyer right away and get out of dodge. You can barter for the goats or for a hired man until you get the kids trained to care for them. Same with chickens.

Goats are the answer. Also:

This is the first time that I am truly scared and thinking like a Prepper. No other election before this one caused me to think in terms of food storage and fuel and ammo. I cannot be crazy.

Yes, you can.

This is crazy. I honestly don’t see what we are missing here. Obama has a horrible record, a continuing series of scandals, and lackluster debate performances. We had a solid set of candidates, a campaign running on the issues, and an energized base. What are are we missing?

Only everything. But thank you for playing.

I’m left with a conundrum. What the hell are we supposed to do now? Obama’s going to claim a divine mandate to whatever he wants. How the hell are we going to stop this bastard from doing whatever he wants? Also, I hope nothing good ever happens to the Obama voters. Nothing good at all.

Who’s a sore loser? Who is? Who is?

• Hogan says:

Oh yes you are! Oh yes you are!

• Warren Terra says:

Like chickens can be trained to care for goats.

• Barry Freed says:

Please SEK, more like this. I’ve got to get my gloat on.

• SEK says:

OK:

Romney and the GOP didn’t get Obama re-elected, our corrupt populace did.

Like astronauts who lose muscle and bone mass when they spend too much time in null gravity, we’ve had it too good since the end of WWII, and it’s ruined us. Beginning with the Boomers, we’ve been so damned spoiled that it’s rotted our souls. Why vote for the Accountants In The Green Visors when you can vote for NEVERLAND!

We’re getting exactly what we deserve. We let the Left lie their heads off for 40 years, and we’ve ignored them while they insinuated themselves into the educational, cultural, and political seats of power.

It’s not just that the press lies to us, it’s that we as a populace don’t insist that they tell the truth. It’s not just that the government has gone way beyond the Constitution’s limits, it’s that we haven’t penalized politicians for doing so.

And it’s not just that the Left’s wicked premises about language and history and humanity have poisoned our collective memory and discourse, it’s that we seem to like it—or at least we’re so inured to it that we don’t care. Something funny is trending on Twitter. Gotta go!

We’re a frivolous, shallow, amoral, unserious, spoiled rotten people. Had Romney won, we’d just turn over and go back to sleep while he forestalled the inevitable (or didn’t).

Mr. Franklin, ours is the generation that failed to keep the Republic.

May the next one come during my lifetime.

• Malaclypse says:

Speaking as an accountant in a green visor, tax cuts for the wealthy are a shitty strategy for growth. If your mileage varies, that means your mileage is wrong.

• SEK says:

More?

This nation is lost.Due to demographics and our persistent cultural changes, the GOP will never again win a national election. If we could not defeat Barack Obama in 2012, we will never win again. It is time to take stock of our personal survival, and direct attention to it, and it alone. Conservatism will live on,but will never triumph. Generationally, racially,and culturally, there exists a majority that embraces a philosophy where socialism and statism will thrive, where government dependency trumps freedom and the entreprenurial spirit, and where libertine cultural norms foster abortion, illegitimate births with consequential poverty,and gay marriage. God save America!

Or:

The GOP’s obsession with “centrism” will screw them forever. As the GOP inches closer and closer to the left, the message it gives the voter is that the left is desirable, as opposed to the right, which is something to be moved away from.

Once you’ve successfully convinced the public that the ideology of the liberalism is something to be desired, they’re naturally going to sway toward the most consistent liberal. In this case, Obama.

There are some very fertile fields out there, in which “centrists” like the GOP frolic with minorities who don’t want to open small businesses.

• chris says:

The weird thing is, half of that rant is half true, except that the party identifiers are 180 degrees reversed. One party lying its head off, the press not calling them on it, the people not calling the press on it, voting for fantasy in preference to reality, one party insinuating itself into the channels of power and constructing an alternate reality…

Maybe it’s an expression of cognitive dissonance, the subconscious realization that the right has been running on fantasy and lies since they turned their back on the Eisenhower wing of the party?

• SEK says:

Even more?

I voted for the Colorado pot initiative. I don’t care if Maine wants gay marriage. That’s their right to decide.

But don’t give me your talk of positive freedoms when Michelle Obama is writing kids’ lunch menus and buying a big soda is outlawed.

When it all comes crashing down, you’ll just blame it on the capitalists anyway. So just take take take while you can and pretend you’re enlightened. You aren’t. You’re a subject.

If you didn’t guess that was Jeff, you’ve wasted less of your life than I have.

• CD says:

Can we just get on with the gay sharia now?

• Cody says:

The Trump’s twitter feed was rockin’ too!

Side Note: If any of these Conservatives need help moving out of the country, just leave me a message here. I’ll be happy to enable your departure. You can go to a conservative wonderland like Somalia or Egypt.

• Goats are the answer.

Mickey Kaus would like to subscribe to this person’s newsletter.

22. Pee Cee says:

So, is it wrong of me to enjoy the collective freak out of all those wingnuts on Facebook that just happened to go to the same high school as I did?

Because if that’s wrong, I don’t want to be right…

• sparks says:

One of my closest friends from college is now a full on headsplitting screeching wingnut. She hasn’t even managed a muted sob. Just silence.

• Lyanna says:

I just looked up the Twitter feed of an old acquaintance who is a rabid wingnut (her twitter is full of articles about how letting women have contraception is anti-feminist and such like).

Out of sheer schadenfreude. And she’s all depressed. MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA.

I don’t want to be right either. This is earned gloating.

23. Reilly says:

Karl Rove’s on Fox claiming that Ohio may not go to Obama. He’s got his own math. And Romney’s people are not conceding Ohio, no doubt having been in communication with Rove.

24. Morbo says:

I am looking forward to lots of schadenfreude tomorrow. Our house district is still too close to call, but fingers crossed on that one.

25. Murc says:

I’m having some trouble finding clear reporting on it, but various people are telling me that a slim majority of Puerto Ricans voted to reject their current status quo with the US, and that an overwhelming majority are saying that if the status quo does change, it should be in favor of statehood.

Nothing is certain, of course, but the Union might be expanding for the first time in over fifty years.

Unless I’m wrong on this. Having trouble running down hard numbers.

• Erik Loomis says:

I’d love to bring Puerto Rican statehood in front of a Republican House. No racism in that debate, none at all.

• Rob says:

The chances Republicans would let Puerto Rico in are between zero and zilch. Unless you get a East and West Dakota thrown in as well.

• NonyNony says:

Hm. I’m wondering if the Republicans would actually go for that – admit Puerto Rico as a state, but take an existing Republican stronghold and cut it in half, making it two states.

Probably wouldn’t work in this day and age. And we don’t have any other outstanding territories that would lean Republican these days either.

• Corey says:

You can find results on this page if you read Spanish.

Looks like you’re right – most voted against the status quo (“¿De acuerdo con mantener la condición política territorial actual?”) and then of those voters, most voted for statehood (“Opciones de estatus/Estadiad”).

The resolution isn’t binding on the US government obviously, but it will presumably trigger the introduction of a bill to admit PR as the 51st state.

26. J.W. Hamner says:

Yay for The Maths defeating Peggy Noonan’s arbitrary sampling of lawn signs and psychic communion with an imaginary electorate!

27. shah8 says:

I wonder which of my expensive teas I should drink…

28. Eli Rabett says:

Right now Harry Reid should be calling up Mitch McConnell and telling him, either you clear all the appointments hanging fire before Jan 1, or we kill the filibuster in the new Senate.

• Taj Mahalo says:

Only if Harry Reid is planning to screw McConnell and get rid of the filibuster anyhow.

• Murc says:

Can he deliver on that?

I dislike much about Reid, but one of his more endearing qualities is that he doesn’t write checks his ass can’t cash. Unless he has 51 firm votes on that, I can’t see him making the threat.

• I believe he could convince a sufficient number of Democratic senators to act as if they are about to get rid of the filibuster.

A subject for discuss in the next couple of weeks: what are the acceptable compromises between keeping it or getting rid of it altogether. Are there any?

• NonyNony says:

Not act – could he convince 51 senators to actually vote against the filibuster if McConnell calls him on it?

As I’ve watched him over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that Harry Reid is not a poker player. He doesn’t bluff. He feints, but he doesn’t bluff. If he gives McConnell an ultimatum like that it means he’s ready to pull the trigger.

• Eli Rabett says:

The threat is worth the popcorn

29. jamie_2002 says:

Glenlivet Nadurra

Sweet as a Romney concession, strong as an Obama acceptance

30. Walt says:

Let me be the first to say “Bookmark it, libtards!”

31. Nathan of Perth says:

Best wishes to all of you who will be victory dancing into work tomorrow.

32. ohmygod it’s happening, the worst fever dreams from the conservative swamp are coming true:

there are VUVUZELAS at Obama’s campaign headquarters

America truly is a changed nation, forever

they tried to warn us but we didn’t listen

why oh why didn’t we listen

33. rea says:

“To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women-haters…”

34. Ben F says:

Suprise surprise, Jenbob hasn’t decided to show up!

35. PSP says:

The horror of horrors was the Fox commentators, after throwing Romney under the bus for running a bad campaign, playing up Jeb Bush.

36. Florine Hibbets says:

Bed Bugs Chicago, Treatment of Bed Bugs Chicago, Removal of Bed Bugs Chicago Remove those disgusting bed bugs ASAP! Contact the experts at http://www.bedbugstreatmentchicago.com/