Right-wing psychosexual obsessions, Nate Silver edition

[ 114 ] October 27, 2012 |

I don’t even . . .

Nate Silver is a man of very small stature, a thin and effeminate man with a soft-sounding voice that sounds almost exactly like the “Mr. New Castrati” voice used by Rush Limbaugh on his program. In fact, Silver could easily be the poster child for the New Castrati in both image and sound. Nate Silver, like most liberal and leftist celebrities and favorites, might be of average intelligence but is surely not the genius he’s made out to be. His political analyses are average at best and his projections, at least this year, are extremely biased in favor of the Democrats.

I actually saw the New Castrati open for the Pet Shop Boys back in 1986. (Shortly afterwards they discovered there was already a band in the West End called the New Castrati, so they became the New New Castrati, or NNC to their fans).

…[SL] If I had projections showing Mittens winning Oregon, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and Minnesota (and 53 Senate Republicans!), I’d rather discuss my bizarre sexual obsessions than polling methodology too.

1. With all of Silver’s shortcomings and biases, it’s amazing how he keeps turning out to be right.

I don’t recall the extra chromosome crowd whining about his bias in 2010.

• Tim O'Keefe says:

Uh, trying to insult folks by derisively comparing them to people with Down Syndrome isn’t cool. It’s not OK just because the targets are right-wing cranks, any more than when Coulter calls Obama a “retard.”

• ajay says:

I’m going to assume that Joe was talking about XYY – the extra Y chromosome that causes Klinefelter’s syndrome, supposedly the “supermasculine” karyotype.

2. Bobbo says:

Best part is, the writer’s own go-to pollster is the always right, never effeminate Dick Morris.

3. My favorite bit:

He claims to have been highly accurate in predicting the 2008 election results, and perhaps he was.

But too hard to check!

4. Rob in Buffalo says:

Here is the manly man who wrote that article.

• Jeremy says:

I’m not usually down with criticizing someone based on their appearance, but when your description of your opponent begins with “small-statured” and “effeminate”, I guess you forfeit that courtesy.

• LosGatosCA says:

But I hear he’s rated highly by the ladies at Match.com.

• mch says:

I think he assumes that, because he has blue eyes and fair (red?), hair he’s automatically manly. Nate Silver has brown hair and brown eyes, from what I can tell, but more important, is part Jewish (or something — I’m going by Wikipedia). Manliness automatically suspect.

Problem, though. Nate Silver is from Michigan and I would assume grew up (and maybe still is) a Detroit fan. That makes him a conservative, right? (See Loomis.)

• Malboa says:

at least, once you account for the liberal bias inherent in those sorts of questionnaires.

• Trolly McTroll says:

It is worth noting here that he approvingly cited Rush Limbaugh’s caricature of Mr. New Castrati.
      Again, no sarcasm. Only cruelty. YOUR BULK IS RELATED TO A LACK OF PHYSICAL FITNESS AND SEXUAL PERFORMANCE (WHICH SEEMS TO BE A THEME OF YOURS) IN A SIMILAR WAY TO NATE SILVER’S SLENDERNESS!! EXPLAIN WHY YOU ARE SO INTERESTED IN HIERARCHY AS ITS OWN GOAL, IF NOT TO PROVIDE AN INFANTILE NEED TO ASSERYT YOUR OWN IMAGINED MAGNIFICENCE, OR SUFFER IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OTHER THAN YOU IN THIS WORLD WHOSE EXPECTATIONS OF A FAIR, FEE, AND PEACEFUL WAY TO LIVE MAY BE AS REASONABLE AS YOURS!

• Trolly McTroll says:

Never mind. What I have been writing in this thread is nonsense. An important fact is that Nate Silver has predicted elections with some accuracy, due to an intelligence that is significantly more than average.

5. Janastas359 says:

Ezra Klein said a month or two ago that in this election, you can be honest, or you can be fair, but you can’t be both.

This is how the right wing reacts when you switch from fair to honest.

6. gmack says:

Look, I don’t know what you all are going on about. Real Men know that sometimes 2 + 2 = 5.

7. DrDick says:

I have never seen people so insecure in their own masculinity as conservatives (which is what this kind of attack reveals). This column is a stupid person’s idea of what a smart response looks like. Have to say that even if he were right about Silver only being of average intelligence (the evidence strongly indicates well above that), it puts him light years ahead of most conservatives, who can only aspire to such intellectual heights.

8. Joshua says:

I keep telling people who complain about Silver is that his methodology is out there to be scrutinized. Not to mention that there is this thing called “an election” that pollsters are judged against. There’s a reason why Rasmussen is a joke.

• timb says:

a rich joke. Grifters are always welcome on the Right

• Richard Hershberger says:

“The right’s reaction to Silver basically stems from the fact that everyone they read is a partisan hack, so anyone the left reads has to be a partisan hack too.”

This. Add to it the neocon belief that reality is something to be altered through sheer force of will, sort of like dealing with constipation by grunting really really hard. So even the ones smart enough to understand what he is doing are inclined to believe that he shows a liberal bias merely by stating the undesirable (to them) reality.

9. Bruce Baugh says:

At this point I must toss in Ursula Vernon on the subject of “his mind raced”.

10. I’ll gladly volunteer to be Nate’s personal spokes-guy. I’m 6’2″ with a full beard, a deep bass, and a very good glower.

11. Ed Marshall says:

Does he know that Nate Silver is gay?

12. c u n d gulag says:

When you can’t criticize a person on substance, you ridicule their appearance.

My guess is, this clown couldn’t get laid with a fistful of pardons in a women’s prison.
    Or a men’s one, either.

13. My suspicion is that Chambers knows that Silver’s appearance makes him feel really angry and outraged for some indefinable reason. Nate Silver shouldn’t go around making men like Dean Chambers feel like that, goddammit. It isn’t right!

14. Nate Silver poses the same threat to conventional political journalism that sabermetricians posed to baseball writers and that APBR metrics pose to basketball writers today. It’s not coincidence that he came out of the baseball analysis culture. Basically, once you have a framework like Silver’s (or like Sam Wang’s at the Princeton Election Consortium, take your pick), you don’t need the usual idiots. You come to realize that what they’re saying is largely irrelevant, and when not irrelevant, just wrong.

Silver’s data-driven approach undermines all the usual conventional “wisdom” that our so-called political journalists are so fond of, because it puts the lie to their bullshit. And it makes it that much harder to spin the election as a horse race rather than as a long, drawn-out aggregation of votes and preferences. Since Republicans aren’t really big on facts in the first place, this obviously has the effect of pushing their stupid narratives out of the picture (not entirely, sadly, but you know, baby steps). But since you can’t ignore the polls altogether, because data (even fake data) lends your claims a certain imprimatur, they’ve decided to “copy” Silver (e.g. unskewedpolls) except without any of the rigor or understanding of what’s actually happening. It’s cargo cult politics in the original sense of the term.

15. vacuumslayer says:

I kinda worry about what the wingnuts are gonna do after they’ve convinced themselves they’re gonna win because of “unskewed” polls. My guess if there’s not violence, they will absolutely convince themselves the election was stolen.

16. DocAmazing says:

I think the problem here is one of spelling: he seems to be trying to predict the outcome of erections.

17. Rarely Posts says:

Also, let’s not forget that his projection has Romney winning New Mexico! Based on polls, it’s even further out of reach than Oregon and Minnesota.

It’s sad that the Romney campaign doesn’t have advisers who could inform them that they need to expand the battlefield. It just makes no sense that they’re not putting any resources into swing states like New Mexico, Oregon, Minnesota, or Michigan.

• efgoldman says:

I can’t believe that some unskewed, unwrapped, unhinged nutcake hasn’t predicted that of course Mittster is going to win MA, because he was governor and there’s still a reservoir of voters who remember him fondly.
      There is. Roughly 30%.

• shabadoo says:

Indeed, these numbers show Romney so far ahead in Ohio and Florida that he’s wasting his time there. He should quit campaigning there and have some rallies in downtown Portland, Oregon, instead.

18. LeeEsq says:

Can we small-statured guys ever catch a break? I’m 5’6 and lean because of exercising five days a week. Why does this make me the enemy of masculinity according to conservatives?

19. Moral Panicker says:

This is a nonsensical and boorish remark by Chambers, but I am not sure you need to go into its “psychosexuality.” Once you do that, Chambers, or I, could easily state that Campos et all are the ones wuith the real psychosexual nerds with what they imagine is a carefully cultivated attitude of detachment while actually only advertising their warped and desperate romanticizations.

20. Bob says:

Boy are you left wingers in for a surprise come Tuesday. You folks are delusional. Obama is going to be crushed and Silver is going to have to go into hiding. Poor brain dead morons.

21. Kent Sigmund says:

Bed Bugs Chicago, Treatment of Bed Bugs Chicago, Removal of Bed Bugs Chicago There is only one company in Las Vegas who that can help you remove those nasty bed bugs. Contact us today at http://www.bedbugstreatmentchicago.com/.