Fort Ord

[ 10 ] April 25, 2012 |

I was very happy to see President Obama use the Antiquities Act of 1906 to create Fort Ord National Monument in California, protecting some of the last wild land in the Monterey Bay area. It looks super cool and I would love to visit.

I don’t however see how using the Antiquities Act is a “bipartisan” move as the Sierra Club’s National Military Family and Veterans Representative Stacy Bare says (nevermind the obvious question of the oddness of such a title). Using the Antiquities Act is probably a good sign that, even though creating the monument was widely supported in California, that a bill creating it was unlikely to get through Republicans in Congress. Theodore Roosevelt pioneered the executive creation of national monuments precisely to bypass Congress and there’s no doubt Obama is doing that here.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. CJColucci says:

I was born there, while my father was in the Army, though I have no recollection of the place. I’ll have to go visit.

2. Amanda in the South Bay says:

I spent two years at DLI (05-07) and much of Ft. Ord was still a dump then (people living off post there in mildew infected housing, for starters). I’m glad CSUMB moved in there, it adds some diversity to a region dominated by active duty and retired military.

3. rea says:

Is “bipartisan” move in the sense that Theodore Roosevelt would have done it.

4. Sean says:

I was at DLI in 95-96, and again in 99-00 when I lived in that “mildew infected housing” (alas, very true) on the Fort formerly known as Ord. There is a vast amount of open area there, covering the hills between the Monterey Peninsula and Salinas, south all the way to the Laguna Seca Raceway. Excellent hiking and bike trails.

I’m very glad it’s going to be protected instead of developed–land prices there are off the charts, so the temptation to sell must be very great indeed.

Of course, huge chunks of that land are going to be off-limits for a long time thanks to years of the occasional artillery round failing to explode, leaving unexploded rounds all over the place. “EOD Detonated An Unexploded Shell at Fort Ord” was a pretty common headline in the Monterey Herald when I lived there.

5. H-Bob says:

“precisely to bypass Congress” – are you implying that it’s a bad thing ?

6. Poicephalus says:

Man, thanks Erik.
    I was stationed at the Presidio 84 through 85 and that whole ecosystem was cool. Good on the president.
    For grins, check out Naval Postgrad. The Hotel Del Monte sacrificed itself to give us Pebble Beach.

C

7. M. Bouffant says:

I’d guess that Sierra Club title has to do w/ getting vets & families to testify before Congress, base-closing commissions, land-use boards or whatnot that while they had a great time serving/training/living at Camp Swampy it should now be returned to the people & nature.

8. stuhlmann says:

About all I can remember of that “last wild land in the Monterey Bay area” is all the poison oak that grew on Fort Ord. Part of me, the part that remembers the itching and blisters, wouldn’t mind seeing the area paved over.