The British Invasion

[ 43 ] January 30, 2011 |

Batman, Spiderman, McNulty and now Superman are all British guys.  What happened to America having American heroes for America?

1. Warren Terra says:

There’s an obvious Birfer joke to be made here …

2. flounder says:

I’ve always thought that the far more egregious sin, and my particular “get off my lawn” issue is letting Brits play the halftime of the Super Bowl of American Football. Just off the top of my head, we’ve had U2, the Stones, Paul McCartney, and The Who.
    I love the Rolling Stones, but having them play in Detroit Rock City was particularly bad (although The Who sucking it up a few years ago was simply god-awful). Was the phone number for KISS busy or something?

• Warren Terra says:

“The Super Bowl of American Football”? Surely you show your own contamination with non-American perspectives there. After all, it’s just called “Football”, just like the Baseball championship is the “World Series” (presumably because the Toronto Blue Jays are eligible)

• Bill Murray says:

I think Tiny Kiss and or Mini Kiss would be better than KISS.

I think the Stones should have played Hey You Get Off My Lawn. Didn’t thy have a hit with that a few years ago. And aren’t they the Gil Thorp of music these days.

• Blogbytom says:

Not to get all nit-picky on you, but U2 is an Irish band, not a British one. Unless I’ve been totally misinterpreting ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’ all these years.

As for your larger point: Agreed. The Boss every year, as far as I’m concerned.

3. lige says:

As long as it keeps Justin Bieber etc. off the Superbowl Halftime show I think they should invite as many aging British rock stars as they can find.

4. Paleoprof says:

Not only McNulty but also McNulty’s arch enemy, Stringer Bell, also British. Just sayin’

P

• SEK says:

Mayor Carcetti is also from thereabouts, and has the cutest IMDB photo I’ve ever seen.

• Spikebrennan says:

A propos of nothing, fans of Mayor Carcetti will be able to catch him in April on HBO’s Game of Thrones.

• SEK says:

This thread is devoted to the particular breed of dorkiness to which your comment appeals. I’ve no idea why you think it’s inappropriate.

• Auguste says:

Hmmm, I hate to argue with SEK of all people on a matter of usage, but “apropos of nothing” doesn’t necessarily signify that the speaker thinks their comment is inappropriate, does it? Simply that they recognize that their comment “does not follow” – which, I would argue, makes Spikebrennan’s use of it inapt, but still colloquially clear.

• bh says:

I thought Idris Elba was great, and completely convincing as an American. McNulty, on the other hand… surely I’m not the only one who had a problem with Dominic West’s accent?

• nolo says:

OMG. That is cute overload.

• Lyantonae says:

I was wondering if you ever coierdsned changing the layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?

5. Linkmeister says:

C’mon. The British halftime acts can be counted on to be more decorous than the American ones. See Janet Jackson (wait, that’s probably the wrong verb).

6. Some Guy says:

It’s been pointed out before, but when was Superman ever an ‘American’?

• Rob says:

Since he landed in Kansas. Really the only superhero more American than Superman might be Captain America and even that’s up for debate.

• SEK says:

Actually, Some Guy’s correct: Superman can’t really be American because he’s a Jew.

• Warren Terra says:

My god, what did the mohel use?

• elm says:

I haven’t read Superman in awhile, so I don’t remember this: how old was he when his parents bundled him off of Krypton? If he was more than 8 days old, the mohel had no problem. If he was less than 8 days old, I guess he must have done a self-circumcision in space?

• Halloween Jack says:

Actually, the “-El” suffix denotes that he’s an angel: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, etc.

• Dogsbody says:

I don’t recall Kal-El being naturalized. Superman is an illegal immigrant with false documents bearing the name Clark Kent.

• Steve Rodgers was also the son of immigrants, an Irish (although ambiguously religious) family from Hell’s Kitchen, therefore all but certainly a Roosevelt Democrat, a fine arts student in the hustle and bustle of the New York art scene in 1940, therefore all but certainly familiar with the WPA arts programs and/or the Cultural Front scene, and an early anti-fascist who volunteered prior to Pearl Harbor.

He represents a specific moment in American history – the Arsenal of Democracy, the Atlantic Charter, the Four Freedoms. As opposed to a self-loathing counterfeit, cornfed Kansan.

• Daniel says:

Is Superman covered by the 14th amendment? Call Steve King, Congress must decide!

7. John Edmond says:

Surely this is their revenge for Bond?

• Dogsbody says:

Huh?

All Bond actors, bar Brosnan(Irish), have been subjects of Her Majesty Elizabeth II.

• Warren Terra says:

Well, there is Woody Allen. Actually, come to think of it, every agent in that film is officially named “James Bond 007″.

• SEK says:

Also, I believe the best of the Bonds may’ve been Scottish, and they’re only technically subjects of Her Majesty.

• Dogsbody says:

and they’re only technically subjects of Her Majesty.

Only technically?? I fail to see you point. I know that Connery supports Scottish independence (naganahappen), but he’s still a citizen of the UK and Elizabeth, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is still his head of state.

It’s also woth pointing out that Fleming never said where Bond was born and in You Only Live Twice it was stated that Bond’s father was Scottish and his mother Swiss.

• Warren Terra says:

Per the upthread comment about U2 being Dutch for tax purposes, isn’t Sean Connery now Bahamian for tax purposes? And he’s said he won’t resume being Scottish while they’re still part of Britain.

But maybe he was still Scottish when he portrayed Bond.

• dave says:

HM the Queen is half-Scottish, notwithstanding well-established jokes about her Deutschtum.

Are you sure it was Swiss? My memory says Swedish.

8. DrDick says:

What happened to America having American heroes for America?

Like all of our jobs, they outsourced it.

• DocAmazing says:

Look what happens when they do use US actors to play American heroes: David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk, Mr. Mom as Batman…

• DrDick says:

Never said that there wasn’t a good reason for it in this case.

• Bill Murray says:

You forget William Katt at your peril

• Halloween Jack says:

Ferrigno and Keaton were really pretty good (particularly Ferrigno, given that he had absolutely no acting training). Nick Fury and the other Marvel productions (the Incredible Hulk series excepted, the Incredible Hulk TV movies not) suffered from the fact that, up to the X-Men movie, Marvel adaptations for both the big and small screens were under the supervision of Stan Lee, and no matter what you think of Lee’s 60s comics writing, Stan the Man had absolutely no fucking idea what he was doing in Hollywood.

9. ajay says:

What happened to America having American heroes for America?

To be honest, it’s a welcome change from the Brits being the villains all the time.

10. Halloween Jack says:

I don’t care if he’s Croatian, as long as he’s better than Brandon Routh, who displayed all the fine thespian chops of a kitchen table.