Idiotic “Constitutional” Arguments In Defense of Racism Are No Vice

[ 27 ] August 19, 2010 |

Shorter Verbatim Sarah Palin:  “Dr.Laura:don’t retreat…reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence”isn’t American,not fair”).”

When I said that when a winger talk show host asserted that private individuals criticizing her racist remarks were violating her First Amendment rights she was echoing the constitutional theories of the most recent Republican nominee for Vice-President of the United States, I wish I was joking.

1. Glenn says:

Boy she really likes that “reload” imagery, doesn’t she?

• DrDick says:

It’s those “Second Amendment Remedies” that wingnuts are so fond of. Mostly their remedy for the fact that they have ideas and sound insanely incoherent and stupid whenever they talk about their policies. The only way that they will get most of them implemented is at the point of a gun.

2. John says:

Good god. Is she the stupidest person in American public life, or what?

3. Brad Potts says:

Surely constantly stating that something is “UnAmerican” will lead to that charge being meaningless someday.

This ties into a discussion that I want to avoid rehashing, but when I see crazy comments like this I think they may have some effect on public opinion, but I think longterm that these will completely undermine the position.

• Captain Splendid says:

This is why conservative groups, despite massive funding and the knee-jerk ear of the MSM, is losing. The longer you keep talking about shit like the ‘Homosexual Agenda’ and ‘Supply-Side Economics’ for decades without any of it coming true, the more people will eventually figure out it’s can’t be that big of a deal.

There’s a fine line between passion and wingnuttery.

4. wengler says:

It is a violation of the First amendment not to profit off of hate speech.

5. Uncle Kvetch says:

Oh please please please run with this one, WingnutWorld. Just the entertainment value of seeing Michael Steele defending Schlesinger will be worth the price of admission.

6. Barbara says:

One of the saddest aspects of this is that Palin is far from alone in her ignorance of the parameters of the First Amendment. I had a lawyer – a lawyer! – once tell me that MLB could not tell Marge Schott (when she managed the Reds) to STFU without violating her First Amendment rights. I bet that the percentage of people in this country who understand the basic rule is in single digits. The whole country needs continuing civics lessons. Not that I am cynical about this -just depressed.

7. Barbara says:

Uncle Kvetch – well, that image cheers me up. thanks.

8. mark f says:

I’m sure she said the same thing when country radio stopped playing the Dixie Chicks.

• Brad Potts says:

I thought about that too. (A classic radio station down here even stopped playing the Rolling Stones, and I never really knew why.)

Even worse, apparently the Dixie Chicks were even worse for making negative comments about the president in a foreign country.

That didn’t stop Palin from disparaging Obama in a speech in China.

9. Alex says:

The amazing thing is she trotted out this novel theory that the 1st Amendment protects morons from being criticized for saying stupid and/or offensive things, and was ridiculed for it. She lacks the intellectual curiosity to learn anything.

• NonyNony says:

She was ridiculed for it, but her “base” cozied up to her even tighter because in their eyes her First Amendment rights were being violated.

If you view what she says as if she were a rational actor attempting to gain political power you will mostly fail to understand Palin. If you view what she says and what she does with an underlying assumption that she’s working on a long-term con to maximize the amount of money she can extract from suckers, everything she does and says makes more sense.

The “they’re violating my First Amendment rights” thing is actually a very good defense for her audience. They know that the First Amendment means that they can’t beat up a punk kid whose burning the American flag, but here’s “poor Dr. Laura” who gets kicked off the radio just because she said something that offended someone. That’s Political Correctness run amok in their eyes because the nuance doesn’t matter.

And yeah, I know that storyline is completely wrong (Dr. Laura quit, she wasn’t fired. What she did was far worse than “offending someone”. etc.). Doesn’t matter. It’s the narrative in their heads that Palin has to connect with, not anything that actually connects with reality.

Is it enough to get her into the White House? Barring a catastrophe I’d say no way. Is it enough to keep her getting speaking gigs, her face on Fox News, and residuals from the occasional ghost written memoir? Absolutely. And in the end that’s all that matters. Palin doesn’t want to be George W Bush – she wants to be Rush Limbaugh. Or at least she wants to be Rush Limbaugh without having to do the work that Limbaugh puts in to being Rush Limbaugh. And she seems to be managing it just fine so far.

10. Jay B. says:

Reload? With what, more “nigger”?

We’re in the abyss.

11. dpjbro says:

The 1/2 wit, 1/2 governor is merely defending what she is about to become; an old white crazy woman whose looks are faded and who realizes this is the best she’s ever going to look.

12. Oo, just look at that gosh-darned Dr. Laura gettin’ all of that attention, also. I’m gonna steal some of her thunder and then maybe that there Larry King will have me on his show, you betcha!

13. Frank says:

I keep hoping someone will as sister sarah how big a retard do you have to be to not understand its OK for whitie to say nigger.

Of course, she probably does not remember how upset she was when she heard a rumor that Rahm called libs “retards”