Man’s capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man’s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary.
- I have only recently begun reading Niebuhr, so I found this treatment fascinating. Reading the Irony of American History was illuminating in terms of understanding how the Christian case for American Exceptionalism was supposed to make sense.
- Interesting stuff on how violent NGOs are taking advantage of the maritime domain off East Africa.
- Some interesting thoughts here on social media and war termination. Also read this, which covers much of the same ground. Long story short, social media use in Armenia made it more difficult to understand just how badly the war was going, and thus helped make the defeat more surprising and devastating than it otherwise might have been.
- I’m all in for Bret Devereaux’s new series on the Dothraki.
- The Taiwanese are optimistic about independence, and optimistic that the US will fight on Taiwan’s behalf. There are many ways in which this could get ugly.
- USS Bonhomme Richard gonna get scrapped. Fire one, US Navy zero.