Official LGM Valentine’s Day Dinner*

[ 56 ] February 12, 2013 |

When I was looking for the recipe for last night’s delightful meal recommendation, I ran across this classic seafood mousse dish that I thought would just be wonderful for all of you who are cooking a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner for your special someone.

Let me know if this helps make your day extra special.

* Not actually officially sanctioned by LGM. Or really, anyone.

1. Ken Houghton says:

Expecting Python fans in 3, 2, 1…

2. Bill Murray says:

gotta love the smile

3. Winchester says:

Hmmm, it seems like a good alternative to pancakes.

4. That picture is going to haunt my nightmares.

5. rea says:

Apparently carrot strips for the orange lines, and sliced olives (with pimento?) for the eyes . . .

6. Funkula` says:

Are we feeling a bit Lileks lately?

7. rickhavoc says:

Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark… he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be living… until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin’ and the hollerin’, they all come in and they… rip you to pieces.

8. I don’t…because why would anyone-I mean whatthefuck is that fucking thing

9. CaptBackslap says:

Frankfurter Bake,” brought to you by the Rice Information Service.

• BlueLoom says:

Reminds me of the “hot-dog stew” soup I was once served by a friend: same thing as oyster stew, except substitute sliced hot dogs for oysters. Basically hot dog slices floating in warm, lightly seasoned milk. I think that nothing I’ve ever been served as a guest has tested my manners to the extent that this soup did. (Yes, I ate most of it; it was horrible.)

10. Timurid says:

Can’t sleep… fish clown will eat me…

11. herr doktor bimler says:

I assume that steak tartare would be served molded into the shape of a calf.
    Come to think of it, we have a brain mold lying around somewhere.

12. grouchomarxist says:

“But … it’s … smiling at us!”

13. DN says:

This is just wrong. I was wiling to try the bannana and ham thing and it didn’t hurt (too much). Now this. I think you’re angry at us or something.

14. LeeEsq says:

I’m not looking forward to the desert recipes.

15. knecht ruprecht says:

Hmmm. Am I the only one who finds that recipe entirely unobjectionable? I wager that if waiter at a trendy restaurant served a slice of it on toast and called it the amuse bouche, no small number of you would enjoy it, if not single it out for praise in your yelp review.

• Captain Bringdown says:

“Entirely” unobjectionable would be going a little far for me, but I’d *much* sooner eat this than the “bananas benedict” recipe from yesterday. In fact, I wouldn’t really have any qualms about trying it if it were made with decent Italian tuna. Fresh herbs would also be preferable to the dried.

• I wager that if waiter at a trendy restaurant served a slice of it on toast and called it the amuse bouche…

…it wouldn’t be a fish-shaped lump with a fucking smiley face.

Presentation counts.

16. Matt says:

Now imagine you’re hung over, and somebody puts THAT in your face and then shakes the platter a little, so it wiggles.

SPEW-O-RAMA. Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient in the “mousse”.

• knecht ruprecht says:

Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient

I don’t see the problem here. There is a long and perfectly respectable tradition of cooking with gelatin.

• knecht ruprecht says:

Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient

I tried to reply to this, but my comment got eaten. Anyway, gelatin is a perfectly honorable ingredient. Google “Sülze” or “Galareta”. Or “chaud-froid”, a dish that originated with Carême, the father of grande cuisine.

17. burritoboy says:

Ia Ia Cthulhu has risen! Worship Him!

18. […] terrible, then became slightly less terrible, and over time has improved. That means that the food we might well make fun of today from fifty years ago was actually significantly better than what came before. The idea that our grandparents or […]