Horse for All!!

[ 58 ] February 25, 2013 |

As a historian of the Gilded Age, the sequester is very exciting to me. With each passing day, a big leap back to the halcyon days of the 1890s seems more likely. Here’s an old rundown I did at Alternet. Doesn’t it sound great?

And maybe we can just lay off all of our meat inspectors. Then we can all eat horse or whatever other product ends up in our meat!!!!

1. Shakezula says:

‘Ere, you left out the riots. Can’t have a return to the Gilded Age wivvout the riots!

• Data Tutashkhia says:

What he also left out is the bolshevik revolution, and the adjustment to the prospect of something similar happening whenever they might push too hard. And now this constraint had been removed, more or less.

2. laslo says:

Finding Flicker in your Mickey D shouldn’t be too upsetting to those who don’t mind the fecal matter, insects, and dirt that’s already there. Yummmm.

3. Mitt Romney says:

Horse, if properly prepared, can be delicious. Ann and I ate Refalca after he lost at the Olympics.

4. somethingblue says:

I gather a German cabinet minister has already proposed that the recalled horsemeat be fed to the poors.

They’re not even pretending any more.

5. Manta says:

We were told (on this very blog) that people should vote Democrat, or the gilded age would come back. And, lo and behold, people did vote for a democratic president (twice) and republicans are in minority.
    And yet the gilded age is coming anyhow.

(Some of the stuff you highlight happens at state level, though).

6. LeeEsq says:

At least hipster moustaches are going to be sincere rather than ironic if we go back to the Gilded Age.

7. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Are we now allowed to complain about how the White House handled the phoney 2011 budget crisis? That 14th Amendment option is looking pretty damn good now!

8. LittlePig says:

Now, now, President Milquetoast isn’t going to go for that. He never wants to be an angry blah man.

9. Loud Liberal says:

“My dog’s bigger than your dog,
    My dog’s faster than yours,
    My dog’s better ’cause he eats Ken’L Ration,
    My dog’s better than yours.”