Horse for All!!

[ 58 ] February 25, 2013 |

As a historian of the Gilded Age, the sequester is very exciting to me. With each passing day, a big leap back to the halcyon days of the 1890s seems more likely. Here’s an old rundown I did at Alternet. Doesn’t it sound great?

And maybe we can just lay off all of our meat inspectors. Then we can all eat horse or whatever other product ends up in our meat!!!!

1. Shakezula says:

‘Ere, you left out the riots. Can’t have a return to the Gilded Age wivvout the riots!

• Data Tutashkhia says:

What he also left out is the bolshevik revolution, and the adjustment to the prospect of something similar happening whenever they might push too hard. And now this constraint had been removed, more or less.

2. laslo says:

Finding Flicker in your Mickey D shouldn’t be too upsetting to those who don’t mind the fecal matter, insects, and dirt that’s already there. Yummmm.

3. Mitt Romney says:

Horse, if properly prepared, can be delicious. Ann and I ate Refalca after he lost at the Olympics.

4. somethingblue says:

I gather a German cabinet minister has already proposed that the recalled horsemeat be fed to the poors.

They’re not even pretending any more.

• Manta says:

What’s wrong with that?

• Malaclypse says:

You go first. And if you aren’t willing to eat horse, then the reason you won’t is exactly what is wrong with the proposal.

• Manta says:

I did eat horse meat: it’s quite good. What I would strongly object to is being given horse meat while being told it’s cow.

• Data Tutashkhia says:

Steak de cheval, mmm-mm. Certainly better than steak de boeuf.

• I’ve never had horse, but goat is goooooooood.

I totally don’t get the “omg, horse meat!” reaction. You’d think they’d found plutonium in the hamburger.

• Data Tutashkhia says:

Well, many people feel that horses are domesticated animals, shouldn’t be used for food. My daughter grew up in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, used to go horseback riding every week. She would eat frog legs, but horse meat is out of the question.

Although, if she found out that there were some bits of it in her hamburger, I don’t think it would be a problem, let alone a shock. So, yeah.

• DrDick says:

I also love goat and have several friends who have eaten horse (and others who have eaten dog) and say it is quite good.

• Malaclypse says:

Perhaps, but there is a rather large cultural perception that it is inferior – hence the recall – so being “good enough” for the poors is pretty offensive.

• Manta says:

No, the recall is not because it is “inferior”. If they selled horse meat as horse meat, nobody would have complained.
              The recall is because they pretended it was cow.

• Manta says:

In other words: if they tested it properly & then gave it away for free, I would gladly take it (free food…). However, I can afford to buy food without much problems.

• Shakezula says:

Unless the word recall, when applied to food, &c, has a different meaning in Deutscheland, the fact that it is recalled would be the problem.

• In both Germany and the US, food can be recalled for both being unhealthful and for being mislabeled.

• Manta says:

Actually, I read that the meat might also be tainted (by stuff they gave the horses): but if it’s properly tested and found OK, I would not object to it.

• swearyanthony says:

Right. These were not raised as food animals. That’s a slightly more serious problem. And that they were the wrong damn species suggests that they didn’t go through the most rigorous of safety inspections, to put it mildly.

• Shakezula says:

Right. I have no idea how many quality assurance bloopers it takes to put a tuna label on a can of salmon, but I am guessing the number is greater than 1.

And … after foolishly checking the FDA’s recent recalls site – I revert to my original statement that you don’t want to eat food that has been recalled. (YMMV on the Autobahn.)

Also too, looking at the USDA’s food recall info, great for those of us who are on a diet.

• Shakezula says:

I’m more familiar with tainted food and mislabeled pharmaceuticals, both incidents always being a cause for pants staining.

What was the mislabeling here? Horse sold as cow?

• Think about how much food has recalled for not including peanuts on the label.

Yeah, selling something that is labeled as “beef” when it contains things that aren’t beef is mislabeling.

• DrDick says:

Also mislabeled fish (which has been in the news a lot lately).

• Shakezula says:

But the peanut label is for people who will croak if they are exposed to peanuts, correct? I guess I can’t think of a mislabeling event where there wasn’t also some other risk involved. (Beyond the risk of eating food from a plant that had a QA snafu.)

• So you got me curious, and I went to Food Safety News’ Mislabeling web page. The vast majority of the entries were about potential allergens (nuts and soy, mostly), but I did find this one, which was about a product that included some pork when it was labeled as veal.

• Timurid says:

First they came for the greasy Greeks, but I am not greasy or Greek… so I did nothing. Then they came for the Spaniards, but yo no hablo espanol… so I did nothing. Then they came for the Turkish invaders, but I am not a filthy Turk… so I did nothing. Then they came for the laziest Germans, but my work ethic is impeccable… so I did nothing. Finally, they came for the German middle class, and there was nobody left to +++ CARRIER LOST +++

5. Manta says:

We were told (on this very blog) that people should vote Democrat, or the gilded age would come back. And, lo and behold, people did vote for a democratic president (twice) and republicans are in minority.
    And yet the gilded age is coming anyhow.

(Some of the stuff you highlight happens at state level, though).

6. LeeEsq says:

At least hipster moustaches are going to be sincere rather than ironic if we go back to the Gilded Age.

7. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Are we now allowed to complain about how the White House handled the phoney 2011 budget crisis? That 14th Amendment option is looking pretty damn good now!

8. LittlePig says:

Now, now, President Milquetoast isn’t going to go for that. He never wants to be an angry blah man.

9. Loud Liberal says:

“My dog’s bigger than your dog,
    My dog’s faster than yours,
    My dog’s better ’cause he eats Ken’L Ration,
    My dog’s better than yours.”