Oshima

[ 7 ] January 16, 2013 |

Nagisa Oshima, legendary Japanese director, RIP.

Sorry that comments were closed for this post earlier, I actually just had to delete that post and start again. Or maybe I am can’t handle people talking about “In the Realm of the Senses.”

1. bob mcmanus says:

Well, Criterion Eclipse 21:Oshima’s Outlaw Sixties is probably better than Realm, but is honestly a collection of his most radical films. Which is saying something. Consider it a challenge.

Keep an eye on TCM, they usually do something.

• Barry Freed says:

Right on schedule.

Keep an eye on TCM, they usually do something.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

I think I’ve only seen Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (in the theater when it came out IIRC). Which 2 or 3 other films of his would you recommend?

• Matthew B. says:

Haven’t seen everything of his, but you can’t go wrong with Cruel Story of Youth, Death by Hanging, or The Ceremony.

• bob mcmanus says:

Of what I have seen, which isn’t much, Sun’s Burial, Night and Fog, and Shinjuku Thief were my favorites. If you can find them. Three different than Matthew’s choices, which should tell you something. Anything before 1972 (I know nothing about Dear Summer Sister) will be interesting.

Taboo is a good movie, but not distinctively Oshima as far as I can tell. But better than Mr Lawrence. Oshima had had a stroke, maybe needed some money, and Kitano and the insanely great Shochiku jidei-geki crew* could have helped him out. It is Oshima’s script, and it doesn’t quite feel like a Kitano movie. Wver.

*Shochiku has been doing historical tv for at least fifty years now, and I swear could make me look like a Dojo sensei in an afternoon.

2. Katechon says:

I’m a huge fan of Satoshi Kon (Paprika !!), Isao Takahata, Hayao Miyazaki, Akira Kurosawa (Roshomon !!) and Takeshi ‘Beat’ Kitano. But I don’t know Nagisa Oshima. Yet.

3. Tybalt says:

On the other hand, maybe you are can.