Stealing Elections…From Beyond the Grave!

[ 52 ] December 4, 2012 |

To be clear, it was a coalition of ACORN and the New Black Panthers.

1. J.W. Hamner says:

It seems totally believable that the party who could barely keep their caucus together to vote on their #1 legislative priority of the last 30+ years could have organized a vast array of liberal sleeper cells to effect voter fraud/intimidation on such a scale as to steal 80 electoral votes… without leaving a shred of evidence.

Apparently ACORN is actually an organization of communist ninjas.

2. RepubAnon says:

Dead organizations coming back from the grave to terrorize the living? This is a zombie lie on many levels…

3. Fighting Words says:

What the hell is wrong with these people? Everyone knows it was Tammany Hall that fixed the election for the President Obama.

4. CD says:

“How would you grade President Obama‚Äôs
    overall performance so far? If you would give
    him an A, press 1. If a B, press 2. If a C, press
    3. If a D, press 4. If an F, press 5.”

So the poll was limited to people who don’t hang up when a robot calls.

5. Andy says:

Thank God Mayor Daley came through again delivering the votes of all his fellow dead buddies – surely no way Obama would have carried IL otherwise

6. UserGoogol says:

<a href="http://prospect.org/article/do-republicans-really-believe-acorn-stole-election"Bouie's point that people might just be saying that without really meaning it seems plausible. That is, they had no prior opinions on the matter, but when the possibility was raised they said “sure, why not” because they just don’t like Obama and are willing to say they believe stupid things about him when the opportunity arises.

Pollsters need to do more surveys about things like Panetta-Burns to get a better gauge of how many people just answer whatever questions sound vaguely like the sort of thing that they might hypothetically have an opinion on.

• ploeg says:

Bouie’s point is plausible. But as Steve points out in the linked post, Fox News has been reporting as if ACORN has merely been “reorganized” and “re-branded”, so one must confront the likelihood that a lot of these people actually think that this is straight-up true.

• rm says:

I spend part of my day in the company of people who honestly, truly believe that voting for a treaty that encourages countries to recognize the rights of disabled people (as we already do) would be opening the door for UN black helicopters to take away their children.

The reason I find myself in their company is that they are sane, productive, competent people in the realms of life in which they have not been fed toxic propaganda. But in the areas in which they have been fed this, it’s reinforced by all of their news sources and by their churches, and by their social networks, and they really, really do believe it.

I cannot laugh and snark at them. It’s too sad; I feel sorry for them and it’s depressing to consider how toxic bullshit has become such a major force in our culture and politics.

7. herr doktor bimler says:

49% of the Republican vote is less than 27%. Surely this is progress.

8. Warren Terra says:

This seems like an opportune moment to repost the comment I had the most fun writing of any I can recall recently:

I hear the conspiracy was so widespread and pervasive that the Democrats were able to achieve their perfidy with the aid of legion of accomplices, each of whom stuffed the ballot box with a single vote. Thus they were able to steal the election a tiny little bit at a time, almost imperceptibly, each one a chip knocked away from the foundations of the country our forefathers knew, taking us that much farther from a time when men were men and some were chattel.

• ploeg says:

“I helped Obama steal the election and all I got was this lousy free stuff.”

• mingo says:

That is a comment well worth re-writing.

Sort of OT, I canvassed for Obama prior to the election, so I recently got a big box of contraceptives – IUDs, diaphragms, pills, etc. I certainly appreciated the thought, but I am menopausal, so I’m not sure what to do with these items. I should donate them to PP, but I was thinking I could get a few bucks on eBay.

• Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Just writing about contraception violates the religious freedom of God-botherers across the land. At long last, mingo, have you no sense of decency?

9. owlbear1 says:

These people were promised they would be in Heaven by now, joking it up with Jesus.

They’re pissed and beating a dead horse is what they consider brave defiance.

10. c u n d gulag says:

Yes, of course it was ACORN that helped win the elections for Obama!

But why, oh why, is FUX Noise not talking about how The SDS, The Weather Underground, The Yippies, and The Merry Pransters, were all equally culpable in putting that KenyanSocialistFascistCommunistAtheistMuslim Usurper on the throne?

Was young Roger Ailes a member of one, or all, of those anti-American organizations, and volunteered to help Nixon to atone for his past sins?
    The mind, it reels!

11. c u n d gulag says:

Hey Republicans, ‘The New Black Panthers’ are ‘pigments of your imagination!’

12. Tucker says:

Banana Splits? You are as old and mentally deficient as I am. I hated that show but watched it religiously

13. Joe says:

Any thoughts on what happened in the NY State Senate?

14. Lee says:

I still maintain the Obama one the election by promising to redistribute acorns from rich squirrels to poor squirrels by socialist tampering in the acorn market.

15. dan says:

I was called for this poll (really, not kidding) and thought I’d have a little fun with it by lying, repeatedly, in my answers. I remember this question and thinking WTF?! (I have no recollection of the Pinetta-Burns question, however). Anyway, in the poll response I’m a conservative Republican with a favorable view of President Obama who doesn’t think that ACORN stole the election. Adjust your reading of the poll appropriately….

16. Matt McIrvin says:

PPP was basically trolling the wingnuts: the only available options were that Obama was elected fair and square, and that ACORN stole it for him. No option for “Obama stole the election, but obviously not via ACORN since it doesn’t exist.”

In other words, it wasn’t an entirely honest attempt to gauge opinion. That people were still driven to pick the ridiculous option out of some tribal need to believe the election was stolen is still sad, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.