Night Life

[ 111 ] December 18, 2012 |

I am too tired to post anything coherently. With the death threats, it’s been a bit crazy. I can assure all of you that I will not be intimidated. I will also say that I think it’s time to spend some time with Ray Price.

Also, I want to express my sincere appreciation for those of you defending me. I can’t say enough how much I appreciate your support.

1. MAJeff says:

The only reason for us all to be armed:

Wayne LaPierre was the first one hit. Ronald Reagan, third.

2. poco says:

Erik,

I seldom post–am mostly a lurker. But I really need to write to express my solidarity with your plight. I have thoroughly enjoyed and learnt a huge amount from your posts (esp. on labor history), and everything you wrote expressing your anger and anguish about the Newtown massacre found a willing and supportive echo in my reactions.

That you are now being subjected to this sort of a bizarre internet form of hazing, because right wing trolls need someplace to direct their frustration, is beyond despicable.

As others have mentioned, if you want any of us to write letters on your behalf, just say the word.

I am *so* sorry that you are being subjected to this.

• Erik Loomis says:

Much appreciated. I assure you that I will not be intimidated.

• mark f says:

How seriously are they disrupting your work? Would it be helpful to send a word of support to your department head or something?

• bridgett says:

Erik, I’ve followed your work here with great enthusiasm and admiration. I often direct students to your writing as a model of engaged public intellectual work. It’s particularly frustrating to me, therefore, to watch you being pilloried by a circlejerk of uninformed jackwagons whose only claim on the notice of the public sphere is the possession of a keyboard and a free hand. I am more than happy, as a longtime reader and historian, to write a letter of support if there’s any professional blowback from this. Scott L. is a colleague and can put you in touch.

3. max says:

Keep up the good fight, guy. This is a standard orchestrated intimidation campaign, and boy am I not surprised. Give ‘em hell.

max
    ['I'd tell you to be careful, but the fact of the matter is, is that they're more a threat to your sanity and your job than you life, death threats or no death threats. But do report this stuff please.']

• c u n d gulag says:

Yes, Erik, I also stand behind you.

I’m not sure though, that if I’m near you, that I’ll make a McArdle BONZAI! suicide run to save you – but I’ll keep that in the back of my mind. :-)

In the meantime, close the curtains, and keep a slightly lower profile in the house and office.

And in the meantime, if you have marble countertops, for the love of the FSM, take them down until this blows over!

Stay strong!
      We’re with you. If you’re in Upstate NY, and need a gimpy, but big intimidating looking guy hanging out with you, just let me know.

The main thing to remember is, while they’re big bullies, they’re also massive cowards.

And do what pisses them off the most – don’t stop writing, and don’t stop pointing out what gutless bullies these imbecilic people are.

4. Anonymous says:

Erik’s pretty good about dishing it out, but can he take it…..not so much.

Mr. Loomis pretty much deserves everything he’s getting.

Stupid is as stupid does.

5. Clark says:

You must be doing something right to so hated by Reynolds and the Malkinites. Ray Price sounds good in wax as well.

6. Curmudgeon says:

Has anyone else noticed that profaning the deities of the right wing is intolerable in the eyes of law enforcement and the broader community while conservatives who utter threats–or even commit violence–against liberals hardly ever face any consequences?

American liberals are a persecuted minority. They just don’t realize it.

• Random says:

We’re not a minority so much these days. Some of us are minorities, but collectively we are not a minority.

• tt says:

I don’t think Loomis’s reported interactions with the cops supports the position that anything he did is “intolerable in the eyes of law enforcement.” This is just evidence #456738 that the modern American conservative movement is stupid crazy and paranoid.

7. pete says:

Turn off, tune out, drop into your favorite couch.

Rest up. With any luck the pack will be off after another squirrel in the morning.

I am playing your favorite album in solidarity; it’s the least I could do, even though I do prefer Willie …

8. Bill says:

This too shall pass, Erik. In the meantime…

I’m looking for that lonely street
    I’ve got a sad, sad tale to tell
    I need a place to go and weep
    Where’s this place called lonely street?

9. Thom says:

Erik, I’m sorry you are the current right-wing punching bag. Keep up the good work.

10. Linnaeus says:

Keep it up, Erik. Your posts here have improved a blog that was already very good. I’m glad to offer whatever support I can.

11. Robert Halford says:

Mostly a lurker here as well, but I have very much appreciated your posts and hope you hang in there. I thought your last post before this one was a model for how to deal with this kind of a situation, and am sorry it was inundated by jerks in the comment section.

12. Kadzimiel says:

As Jerome expressed it to Augustine of Hippo:

You are hated by the heretics – a greater glory!

Keep up the good fight, Erik. We’ve got your back.

13. Bijan Parsia says:

Here’s hoping your administration is supportive.

14. Grigori, Trained Octopus says:

¡Viva Loomis!

15. kc says:

Don’t let the bastards get you down.

16. John Protevi says:

Erik, you have my email. Tell me if you need any help with the admin. Let’s hope not, but if need be, I’m there for you.

• Bijan Parsia says:

Oh! Indeed. It goes without saying that if there’s anything that can be done to help out, send an email.

It would be nice if there were some noise machine workings in your favor. Where are the progressive hordes and media!

17. DrDick says:

Non bastardum carborundrum! Which my father always insisted was the engineers’ motto and meant “Don’t let the bastards grind you down.” You are doing good work here and we all respect and appreciate it. Have to say this is part of why I use a nym. The rightwing is totally unhinged and vengeful. That said, you have my contact info via Facebook, so let me know if I can be of any help.

18. AchilesPosts says:

Erik-
    I’ve genuinely enjoyed your contributions to LGM – they’re invariably thoughtful and thought-provoking. I’m sorry the storm of stupid has descended on you.
    -Mark

19. Barry Freed says:

Solidarity. Your contributions to this blog and to progressive discourse have been significant and much appreciated.

20. Arthur Johnston says:

LGM, Come for the political commentary, stay for music videos.

Stay strong (and please keep on posting music videos, you’ve introduced me to some great bands)

21. jeer9 says:

What a fucking nightmare! Condolences – and hang in there.

22. Sherm says:

Keep up the good work, and don’t let the bastards get you down. Just let us know if any letters of support should be sent to the university.

23. Outlier says:

Keep calm and carry on. Don’t let the psychos keep you down.

24. Screw these people. Bunch of cowards.

25. BATP says:

Gods, I am so sorry this has all been happening to you. It’s hard for me to imagine at times that we live in a world where saying something perfectly legitimate and perfectly legal in a blog post would earn you death threats from the Storm Front crowd. Just disgusting.

I know you have said you will not be intimidated, and that’s wonderful. Keep it up. You add huge amounts to this blog and have greatly broadened my knowledge of labor and labor history.

26. mtraven says:

I sure hope your university gives this matter the appropriate amount of attention, which is about zero. And that the crapfest stops soon and you can mine the experience for quality blog posts.

RS McCain just called you an “amoral monster”. Wear it with pride.

27. Leeds man says:

You must be doing something right, mate. Shout if you need anything.

My old school motto: Non sine pulvere palma.

No wanking until you’ve done the dusting. Or something.

28. LoriK says:

I am so, so sorry that this is happening to you. The only consolation is that one is known as much by one’s enemies as by one’s friends and if those assholes hate you that’s a very good indication that you’re a good person doing good work.

29. Orpho says:

Longtime lurker, etc, etc. I’m posting to say that online harassment is hard, creepy, life-changing in some cases, and oh yeah, it really sucks. Here’s to you, Erik, for not letting it shut you up or keep you down. We need you.

30. These disgusting cowards could have picked anyone, but only a few would have responded with the dignity and fortitude that you have.

It’s obvious you’ll keep up the excellent work, but please do let us know if there’s anything we can do to help you out. It’d be a privilege.

31. Larry Lennhoff says:

Madness. The next right winger who talks about ‘political correctness’ to me is getting an earful about this. I rarely post, but I want to express my support for you,

32. jhe says:

I’m another lurker who very much appreciates what you bring the this site. I also think that the substance of your argument was spot-on.

There was approximately a 0% chance that the assclowns on the right were not going to grab something from some comment somewhere and hang an indignation-fest on it. Frankly ‘head on a spike’ is a pretty thin reed – not even rising to the level of General Betrayus in whine-worthiness. Sorry you happened to be the one to draw the short straw.

I just hit the donate button. Not very imaginative on my part or terrifically useful in dealing with the crap from the Sturmabteilung-wannabees (and that’s if Farley even passes anything on to you), but the best I could come up with as a practical expression.

33. I could have sworn that, on just about every occasion when some authoritarian nitwit made a threat to “terminate” or “eliminate” some progressive with whom they disagreed, their response was always a variant on “can’t you people take a joke? must have touched a nerve huh?”
    I also note that I have yet to see any publicity for entrepreneurs selling “Conservative Hunting Licenses”.
    So, Erik, what I am trying to say is, don’t let the bastards grind you down. I also hope that any threats to your life and the life of your friends and family are passed to law enforcement.

34. Darkrose says:

For all the wailing they’re doing about a comment by a random professor, you’d think they actually valued education or something.

Hang in there, Erik. We got your back.

35. Stephen Frug says:

Eric: what everyone else said. So sorry this is happening. All the best.

36. Kejia says:

Well, my immediate reaction was to fantasize about having every executive (along with all major doners) summarily shot. So I thought you sounded very mild. Frankly, people who own guns should not walk around with chips on their shoulders.

Keep up the good work. The pen is stronger than the sword. Ironic that of our our modern versions of pen & sword, the keyboard has an undo button, whereas the product of a gun is more and more irrevocable.

37. Timb says:

Erik, there is an absolutely hysterical and weird review of your thesis over at McCain’s site. That genius had me laughing for several minutes.

Also, to no ones surprise, the “well-medicated and never prone to angry outbursts on the Internet” The Donalde has commented approvingly at a white supremacist website.

38. Sadeducator says:

Talk about being lonely and insecure. People are either blind or lying to you ic they don’t realize you are clearly a whiny hypocrite. You are everything you claim to hate in others and obviously desperatw for pats on the back so you will always ignvore your critics because ignorance is bliss. You are a caricature of the pathetic liberal educator and hurt the progressive movement with your ignorant and selfish iways. Your comments scream “look at me…look at me”. You are desperate to be relevent. You dont realize that the average progressive would see you as a joke.

39. JerBL says:

Another lurker who wants to express support for you. As everyone else has already said, your contributions to the site are really appreciated (This Day in Labour History is probably the greatest series on the internet), and it would be a terrible shame if you were to let this shit-storm of stupidity get to you in any way.
    I think it’s obvious to anyone with even an ounce of sense that this outrage is manufactured out of nothing, and yet still your response to it was about as classy as it could have been.
    I don’t know that I have anything in particular to offer, other than my hope that this nonsense blows over soon, and that you can get back to normal ASAP. And of course, if there’s any chance that random internet people writing in support of you to your department as others have suggested could be meaningful, just say the word.

Best wishes.

40. Thers says:

Anything you need, Erik, online or off, just ask.

41. howard says:

i’ve spent the past day and a half tied up with business, but obviously, these kinds of attacks on you are attacks on all of us, and if we can’t stand with you now, then we will only have left to say “first they came for erik loomis, but i didn’t say anything because i wasn’t erik loomis.”

i would say this, though: you are a student of social change and mass movements, and you must know they wouldn’t be coming for you if you weren’t scoring real points.

42. notjonathon says:

Another lurker in support of you, Erik. Vitriolic cowards, all of them.

43. thebewilderness says:

You’ve got them on maximum meltdown, Erik! Congratulations!

Sorry about the death threats. Those can be distracting. btdt

44. Anonymous says:

I think I’ve only commented at this blog like twice, but I just wanted to say that this pile-on is bullshit, and Erik Loomis did absolutely nothing wrong. I’m sorry that you’ve had to deal with this right-wing frenzy.

45. IM says:

What the others already said.

46. Riggsveda says:

I don’t comment here, only read, but I have loved reading your work, and I wanted to give you my support in this difficult time. Eugene Debs would be proud.

47. Doug M. says:

Erik, you’ve been doing great work with this blog. It is very much appreciated. Stay strong.

best regards,

Doug M.

48. Uncle Kvetch says:

Very sorry that you have to go through this, Erik. Like many other here I’m ready to write letters,* sign petitions, etc. as needed. Just say the word.

*And I promise I won’t sign them “Uncle Kvetch.”

49. OzarkHillbilly says:

Eric, some years back I had to take on a somewhat popular small town big fish in the defense of my sons. I moved to the town, filed for a restraining order between him and my sons (not him and me, I was hoping he would do something really stupid) and tried to make my sons’ lives as normal as possible for them.

The death threats began within a week. I just stopped answering my phone when I did not recognize the #. Figured they could just leave it via voicemail. Believe it or not some actually did. Made filing complaints with the police so much simpler. Even found a bullet hole in my truck one morning.

Then, after about 6 mos. it just stopped. I guess they got tired of not scaring me away.

Anyway, take the threats at least moderately serious, but not too serious. In a few months (weeks? Days?) it will stop and you will be able to return your family’s life to some semblance of normalcy.