Lazy Saturday

[ 48 ] December 29, 2012 |

Another lazy link roundup:

Finally, the first LGM podcast is provisionally scheduled for publication the week of January 14, and will concentrate on “The Hobbit.” Updates as they come.

1. Jonathan says:

How has the UN failed Congo every African nation in the entire history of the organization?

Fixed.

2. Fred says:

That Friedman article has got to be the sappiest and most banal piece of editorial journamalism I’ve seen from him in years. It made me feel all fuzzy (and snarky, and fuzzy for being snarky) inside. Glorious.

3. efgoldman says:

Constitution vs Java? Video or it didn’t happen.

4. cpinva says:

the vegas line on this was HMS Java, by -3.5.

The USS Constitution defeated HMS Java 200 years ago today.

for those of you that have never seen the USS Constitution in person, it is a stunning sight. i saw it years ago, the first time i was ever in boston. i was about 12 at the time, and i was mightily impressed. it still looked like it could kick ass and take names.

• efgoldman says:

I was born in the Boston area, and lived there for most of my first 55 years. Yes, USS Constitution is a wonderful visit. When they take it out into the harbor every year to turn it around, even more so. (They put an alternate side against the dock, for even wear and sun.)
      When I was a kid, it was somewhat preserved, but just sitting there in the middle of a working Navy yard. Hell of a thing to get a bus full of kids through the area and back again. When the shipyard was closed in 1974, the property was properly deeded to the Park Service, which created the park and facility as we know it today.
      That area was industrial/blighted for most of my childhood. Now it is yuppie heaven, much to the dislike of the old townies.

5. The UN is not an entity with agency of its own. The blue helmets go where they’re told to go, and do what they’re told to do.

Blaming “the UN” for failures only helps to shift the blame away from the state actors who decided not to use the available tool.

• manta says:

From the article “the UN has been stripped of what it does best, brokering a political peace process and has been reduced to what it is worst at––military protection.”

I think the article is spot on.

6. Colin Day says:

Does this mean that Java is unconstitutional? It might make some programmers’ lives easier.

7. Sly says:

I got as far as this sentence in the Friedman piece…

freedom is an extraordinarily powerful idea: If ethnic conflict is Zimbabwe’s ironing board, then freedom is certainly its alarm clock.

… and simply stopped to marvel at a pristine example of classic Friedmanese:

“Predictably, Friedman spends the rest of [The World is Flat] piling one insane image on top of the other, so that by the end – and I’m not joking here – we are meant to understand that the flat world is a giant ice-cream sundae that is more beef than sizzle, in which everyone can fit his hose into his fire hydrant, and in which most but not all of us are covered with a mostly good special sauce. Moreover, Friedman’s book is the first I have encountered, anywhere, in which the reader needs a calculator to figure the value of the author’s metaphors.”

8. toma says:

The Friedman generator was excellent.

–”Just call it missing the battle for the bullets.”
    –”Just call it missing the myths for the lie.”
    –”Just call it missing the shirts for the cloth.”

One of those has got to be real.

• Uncle Ebeneezer says:

Here was one of my alternate articles:

Let’s make America for the world what Cape Canaveral was to America: the world’s greatest launching pad. If I had fifteen minutes to pitch my idea to politicians, I’d tell them two things about prescription drugs. First, there’s no way around the issue unless we’re prepared to spend more: and not just spend more, but spend smarter by investing in the kind of human capital that makes countries succeed. That’s going to require some tax increases as well, but as they say, “Ain’t nothing to it but to do it.

9. Erik Loomis says:

Suffice it to say that I will not be part of the Hobbit podcast.

10. Halloween Jack says:

…wait, Henry Louis Gates Jr. interviewing Quentin Tarantino? Holy shit.