Trailer for “Won’t Back Down”

[ 29 ] September 29, 2012 |

Maybe I will go see Won’t Back Down since I have a love of agitprop. I couldn’t find the exact trailer for the film online, but I’m guessing if you switch a couple of characters around, this is pretty much the same film.

1. Anonymous says:

Loomis likes Soviet propaganda? Nobody could have predicted!!

2. Anon says:

Didn’t Leona Helmsley’s dog, Trouble, briefly own the Empire State Building or something? That dog’s fortune was about as legitimate as Romney’s. In fact, I bet if Trouble was still alive he probably would have been a strong contender in the GOP primaries this year. After all, no one can deny that that Trouble built that.

• Davis X. Machina says:

Dogs — or at least the one in my life — know when I’ve had a bad day.

That degree of empathy alone would keep them off the stage in Manchester when WMUR holds its debate.

Who do we go after when ‘fixing the schools’ doesn’t actually fix everything, because ‘fixing the schools’ doesn’t actually actually fix the schools.

I want to get in on the ground floor of something, dammit. I saw a group of students doing a Gangnam Style send-up at a pep rally, and all I could think of was ‘Oh. Zombie movie.’

3. Matt says:

While I never really understood the Soviet prejudice against bull-dogs, the truly wonderful thing about that particular cartoon was that it was written and directed by Sergey Mikhalkov, who also wrote the Soviet national anthem (and the words for the new Russian one- he died only 3 years ago, at 96) and whose sons were some of the most important Russian/Soviet writers and directors- Nikita Mikhalkov and Andrei Konchalovsky (who often worked with Tarkovsky, but amazingly also directed Tango & Cash.)

• sparks says:

Amazingly? ITYM depressingly.

• Matt says:

Amazing doesn’t necessarily mean in a good way! I think Konchalovsky never really got the feel for American movies. The two best movies he made here, _Natasha’s Lovers_ and _Runaway Train_ are both quite obviously Russian movies moved to the US. They only even really make sense if you think of them like that.

• Jaime says:

- quite obviously Russian movies moved to the US -

I believe Runaway Train has Akira Kurosawa credited with ‘story by’ or ‘from a story by’. So the multi-culti strands are most entangled. And I can in fact see Toshiro Mifune in Jon Voght’s role as The Toughest Motherfucker Who Ever Lived.

• Matt says:

Sure- but it doesn’t make any sense as a story set in Alaska- there’s not a huge federal prison in Alaska, or big set of trains, or any of that, but if you think of another place, not too far from Alaska, that is also cold, that does have big prisons and does have a big train network, and does have system of central people running the train system like there was in that movie, a place that Kokchalovsky knew about and had even made a great movie about, then you can see where it might have made sense. Also, he has all the actors act in this very typical Russian style, that is completely out of place in an American film, and say all sorts of lines that are only plausible if they are translated from Russian.

• Erik Loomis says:

I just want to draw a direct line from Eisenstein to Tango & Cash.

• Adrian Luca says:

Way back in 1990 my first employer loved Tango and Cash so much he named his dog Tango.

• firefall says:

Bulldogs = England, hence unpopular

4. Hogan says:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how Alfonse d’Amato got his start.

5. Reasonable 4ce says:

Not-so-bold prediction: Looper (which I saw on Friday; real good flick) will trounce this Lifetime Movie of the Week at the box office. The market shall speak, amirite?

6. Bill in Section 147 says:

Spuds MacKenzie was invented by Russian animator in funny story about a dog who was life of the party. — Pavel Andreievich Chekov