If Romney wins, perhaps she can be ambassador to the Republic of Corsica

[ 103 ] September 16, 2012 |

Mitt Romney’s senior foreign policy advisor Liz Cheney has a point. I can’t think of a single positive thing to say about Obama’s Czechoslovakia policy. However: his craven abandonment of Czechoslovakia pales in comparison to his failure to engage the Orange Free State, and his apparent indifference to the Prussian menace.

1. M. Bouffant says:

How long until we’re hearing how the failure of the Hungarian revolution in 1956 & “losing China” was Obama’s fault too?

2. MAJeff says:

So, the Soviet Union remains a threat and Czechoslovakia has been abandoned. How long until Willard blares, “Mr. Putin, tear down this wall!”?

3. djw says:

On the other hand, we have another data point to suggest that excessive, irrational cold war nostalgia could be a heritable trait.

4. Scott Lemieux says:

Ms. Cheney has made me so angry I plan to send a sharply-worded letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail.

5. efgoldman says:

I’m watching the lead stories on ABC right now, about two more attacks on US personnel and facilities. I don’t know what to think. A Saigon-style “Run away! Run Away!!!” isn’t (and shouldn’t be) an option, but what the fuck good are we doing there, for ourselves or anybody else?

6. Barry Freed says:

Of course it’s Obama’s Rhodesia policy they really have a problem with.

7. Peter Hovde says:

Cheney had his children implanted with a “Munich-Appeasement Reference Module” at an early age.

8. wjts says:

Unlike Obama, Romney will not turn a blind eye to Soviet aggression towards Latveria, Zembla, and Freedonia.

9. Malaclypse says:

I demand to know if Obama will cravenly abandon our ally, the Grand Duchy of Fenwick? Will the anti-colonial attitudes inherited, like blackity blackness, from his father, come to deform foreign policy in this manner? Will the brave Fenwickians stand alone against the Soviet menace?

• jon says:

Really? I had it on very good authority that the Duchy of Grand Fenwick just declared war on the US.

Worse yet has been Obama’s complete disregard for the rising menace posed by Upper Ruritania.

I’m looking forward to some epic press conferences and congressional hearings on all of these.

10. Captain Haddock says:

What is Obama doing about the horseless carriage gap?

11. thebewilderness says:

Criminy! I thought it must be an error in transcription.
    I am not shocked to find it was not. I should be shocked. I think I should.

• RhZ says:

Keep in mind what Liz’s background is. She only got a gig at the State Department in the first place because of Daddy…

She doesn’t know jack except that Obama’s doing it wrong and Daddy should never, never face a tribunal.

12. Pinko Punko says:

The East Pakistan question is especially troubling.

• Calming Influence says:

OT, but who’s counting: As the poster formerly known as jexter, Calming Influence is pleased to see that the Pinkster is still Punking about. Cheers mate! I’ll stop in at Tres Bouillon and get caught up.

13. greylocks says:

I’ve always wanted to ask wingnuts if they think we should bomb Persia.

• Malaclypse says:

My uncle is Iranian. In the 1970s, he began referring to himself as Persian. It my knowledge, this has worked perfectly.

• Malaclypse says:

To my knowledge, that is. I blame the peace-hating people of Upper Fredonia.

• Karen says:

I know at least two Tea Party types who will wonder why your uncle thinks he’s a long-haired cat.

• Nahyun says:

dobro su odigrali utmaikcu. cak je i jovanovic posle duzeg vremena solidno igrao! pantelic nije super napadac, ali sigurno naj bolji srpski. sigurno cemo da se kvalifikujemo za EP (ako nedobijemo bas nekog prejakog u barazu) , ali sta nam to vredi kada vec sada znamo da nemamo kvalitet ni da prodjemo prvi krug.

• Pseudonym says:

So nobody’s called him on his Fars?

• Bijan Parsia says:

Really! Interesting. I’m not sure why I’ve never tried that. I remember correcting people that I was of Iranian, not Persian, descent. But then after the revolution and hostage crises, I just tried to avoid the issue altogether.

• Cody says:

Iirc, there was an article on CNN about this. Some Iranian communities have taken to calling themselves “Persian” to avoid the racists.

It works pretty well. Although “300″ might have ruined this effect, but I’ll catch those darn 8 foot Persians!

• Bijan Parsia says:

I guess this would have helped me as a kid. I’m sort of reluctant to give in on this, though.

When I was in 6th grade, though, it would have been a godsend. My strategy at the time was to point out that my family was Zoroastrian. That seemed to work well enough.

It’s interesting, I still have a slight hesitation about revealing my ethnic background when people stumble over my name and say, “Is that French?” Well, not a hesitation anymore (I think the actual pause disappeared around 1995), but I’m still self-conscious about it.

But, of course, better to self identify as Iranian than Frech, I suppose! In the US, at least.

14. FMguru says:

In the early 1990s. SPY magazine canvassed numerous Congressmen about their support for pro-democracy demonstrators in Freedonia. Most were strongly in favor.

15. herr doktor bimler says:

I heard that Obama is doing nothing to support the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from Russian and Polish encroachment.

I look forward to someone asking Romney where he stands on the Schleswig-Holstein question.

16. somethingblue says:

To be fair, I’m not sure I would be incapable of making this particular slip. I thought it was a bit mean of them to go and change it after we all invested so much time learning to spell and pronounce the old version.

17. UserGoogol says:

Even if you set aside the use of the word itself her point is questionable. “Czechoslovakia” has been doing pretty well for itself in the years since it became two countries. It’s not a relationship that really needs to be closely managed. There have been some disagreements over the last four years, but that seems fairly inevitable.

That said, I do think she had a substantive point in mind. Since she mentioned Czechoslovakia next to Poland, she might have been thinking of the cancelled missile defense program in Eastern Europe. Poland and the Czech Republic weren’t terribly happy with that, although I don’t particularly remember the specifics. Of course, saying that she was thinking of a missile defense program doesn’t exactly contradict the idea that she has a cold war mindset.

• Cody says:

Yes, we need to appease every non-Islamic nation in the world.

This point seems silly. If Obama is the “weak” President, shouldn’t he just give in to countries like the Czech Republic? Wouldn’t it be showing this “strength” to refuse to give them a missile defense platform in order to further our own agenda?

It seems to me if anything she’s making the exact opposite point she’s aiming for.

18. herr doktor bimler says:

IIRC the specifics were largely financial.

• timb says:

What the right wing meant by that was the American defense contractors who were going to build the unneeded missile defense installations at a 400% profit were upset and so were the local politicians they had bought and promised more kickbacks to.

After all, if Liz represents anything, it’s Brown and Root and friends

• Mea says:

Liz also represents the evolving face of nepotism. Used to be that just the straight white men could benefit from their father’s accomplishments to hoist themselves into positions they didn’t deserve. One definition of equality is to have the level of equality reached where there are just as many incompetent women/minorities/homosexuals as there are incompetent straight white men. Using that particular narrow rubric, the right wing of American politics has been greatly contributing to equality.

19. Edward Furey says:

How can you forget the Parthians? They’re only two millenia or so away from getting an atomic bomb.

20. Adam says:

Seriously, we should be worried about the Bey of Tripoli. Its forces are regrouping and the second Battle of Derne is nigh.

21. jimintampa says:

Don’t forget about Novi Pazar. I worry about the Sanjak and his anti-League of Nations rhetoric!

• ajay says:

I worry about the Sanjak and his anti-League of Nations rhetoric!

Sanjak is Turkish for, more or less, “district”. And Tripoli didn’t have a Bey. Algiers and Tunis had Deys.

22. calling all toasters says:

They really are running C. Montgomery Burns for President, aren’t they?

23. sparks says:

Since the 1932 Olympic games, the IOC has kept the tiny kingdom of Klopstokia from competing in the games. What will Obama do about this injustice to all Klopstokians?

24. Snarki, child of Loki says:

I don’t care if it’s Obama or Romney, but would somebody *please* appoint Santorum as ambassador to The Holy Roman Empire.

He can spend the next 4-5 years looking for it. Win-win!

25. brandon says:

Mostly I’m disturbed that Obama lacks a coherent stance on the territory disputes between Florin and Guilder, without which, piracy will continue to menace our coasts and depress our tourist trade.

26. herr doktor bimler says:

Why won’t Obama redeploy the 5th Fleet to safeguarding the seacoast of Bohemia??

27. DocAmazing says:

I await the response from our allies in Wakanda.

• wjts says:

I understand that the PNAC crowd has been making noise about forcible regime change in Wakanda. Fortunately, they haven’t been able to drum up much in the way of popular support, presumably because the slogan “Kick their ass and take their vibranium” doesn’t rhyme.

28. Pseudonym says:

I’m worried that we haven’t heard anything lately from our Ambassador to Bulungi.

29. J. Otto Pohl says:

I thought Corsica was a kingdom not a republic?

30. FlipYrWhig says:

Wasn’t 18th-century Corsica one of the few places where women could vote?