Politico FTW

[ 62 ] August 20, 2012 |

Leave it to the geniuses at Politico to win the award for Worst Media Response to Todd Akin’s rape comments. Dave Catanese stepped up to the plate on this one:

Catanese tweeted that Akin’s comments, while poorly phrased, were worth discussing.

“So perhaps some can agree that all rapes that are reported are not actually rapes? Or are we gonna really deny that for PC sake?” he said. “So looks like he meant to say — ‘If a woman was REALLY raped, it’s statistically less likely for her to get pregnant.’ What’s the science?”

Contrary to Akin’s claims, around 32,000 women get pregnant every year after being raped.

Catanese also took issue with Democrats’ reaction to Akin’s comments.

Yes, the “left” is clearly the problem here! I mean, the left also won’t allow serious discussions of whether Jim Crow was good policy. Why won’t the left respect the First Amendment!

1. rea says:

What’s the science?

Oh, if there were only someone whose job it was to figure out the answer and tell us!

2. Joshua says:

I’d be interested in Dave Catanese saying just what percentage of reported rapes do Dave Catanese think are “not actually rapes”? And, for that matter, just how many rapes actually go unreported.

• John F says:

Yes, not all (i.e., not 100%) of reported rapes are not “actually rapes,”
      however, Catanese is still a DB.

• Craigo says:

You can find this in more detail elsewhere, but that’s not Akin’s point. To his mind and much of the prof-life movement’s, including Paul Ryan, a rape is not really a rape unless the attacker is a stranger, preferably wearing old-timey prison stripes and/or dark skin, holding a knife or gun to the victim who is loudly screaming.

Anything else is just a slut asking for it.

• Joshua says:

That’s my point – saying that not every reported crime is actually a crime doesn’t say anything at all. Give me a number Dave!

I bet if you take a poll of, say, Reddit Men’s Rights readers, that number is probably around 70-80%. If you take a poll of, say, Jezebel readers, it’s probably like 5%-15%. Where does Catanese stand?

• mark f says:

The few Men’s Rightsers I know all seem to take the attitude that their confidence in the phoniness of most rape reports (because bitches, duh) makes almost 100% rape virtually unprosecutable, since it’s all he-said-she-said and it’s too bad greedy sluts ruined it for the dozen or so legitimate victims out there.

I don’t see where Akin differs.

• Erik Loomis says:

This reminds me that I need to rekindle my hobby of making fun of the men’s rights movement on blogs. I haven’t really done that over here.

• DrDick says:

Oh dear sweet Cthulhu! As if we do not already have enough incoherent, factually challenged trolls already.

• Murc says:

You guys (by which I mean the people on the masthead) could ask Amanda Marcotte to do a series of guest posts about that. If I recall correctly, she’s a friend of the blog, sometimes commenter, and has said that what she puts on Pandagon is a mere soupcon of what she actually has on file, she merely sits on it to prevent Pandagon from being all MRA, all the time.

Of course, you’d miss out on the fun of writing the posts yourself.

• Sherm says:

Damn. I’m a middle-class, white male in my early 40′s, and I was entirely unaware of all the obstacles I have overcome until I googled “mens rights” in response to your comment.

• STH says:

Take a look at manboobz.com some time to catch up on all the MRA news. The executive summary: all women are sluts who “ride the cock carousel” with the “alpha males” while the “nice guys” sit around talking about what bitches women are and how oppressed the nice guys are because nobody will sleep with them.

It’s all privilege all the time on those sites.

• DrDick says:

I am a white middle class male who was (and technically still is) a single father and had to get a note from my mother before the judge would grant me custody, even though my ex had signed a waiver. I have as much desire for drug resistant syphilis as I do to have any contact with those loons.

3. wengler says:

The whole “rape can’t get you pregnant” myth has been circling around the rightwing drain for years. It was made up to serve the purpose of never allowing a woman to have an abortion.

You give them a couple more years and it will end up in a Texas school book.

• thebewilderness says:

Actually it is a 17th century myth.
      It served as the final proof that a woman was not raped even when she was beaten into submission. It was part of the burning times justification for killing women.

4. Malaclypse says:

But this is actually even less defensible that that. I mean, policy is not objective fact they way that “women can’t get pregnant” is. This is the left refusing to debate the shape of the Earth.

5. Manju says:

Tru Dat. The left only allows for unserious ones.*

*What I just linked to, for the first time ever on LGM, is the great long awaited Byrd apology (for supporting segregation, not for merely joining the Klan).

It occurred in 2005. and as you can see, he uses a hodgepodge of states-rights consitutionalism to justify his behavior. Left unexplained is why he thought black brains being smaller than white ones was a constitutional argument.

Unserious. But allowed by the left.

• Hogan says:

I wasn’t at the meeting where the left decided we would permit Byrd to ramble on like that in 2005 (i.e., that we wouldn’t gang tackle him in the middle of the interview and stuff him into the trunk of a car), but I think I have the minutes somewhere.

• Manju says:

Well somebody had to be at the meeting. I mean, y’all been telling me ever since I met you about it…ie, the apology for segregation. And that’s it, afak. That’s the apology.

Perhaps you were not amongst those telling me. I forget. But stuffing him in the trunk would’ve been a good response. just between you and I, I’d settle for a trent lotting, but hey, why negotiate from a weaker position.

• actor212 says:

Should have been there. We served biscotti.

6. STH says:

open up a larger debate

Today’s debate question: Are all women sluts or only some of them?

Tomorrow: The epidemic of false rape accusations and the oppression of white males.

7. R. Porrofatto says:

It’s a fact that balding men who are legitimately shot in the ass are less likely to realize it. Apparently, a severe combover causes the male body to emit a special secretion that shuts down higher brain functions, as Mr. Akin so vividly demonstrates. So are we really going to deny that all bald men reporting they were shot in the ass actually were shot in the ass? C’mon, that just doesn’t make any sense.

8. Craigo says:

The belief that “rape victims are lying bitchez” makes the jump from the men’s rights section of Reddit to Politico. This is a great time to be an American.

9. somethingblue says:

Aren’t these moments supposed to open up a larger debate?

Teach the controversy!

10. John F says:

BTW I’m seeing an Advert for Atlas Shrugged Part II on this page…

The Horror…

• Craigo says:

I’d be more impressed if it had been an ad for The Fountainhead.

• BigHank53 says:

“Good Morning, and welcome to Francon Quarries and Post-Hoc Justifications. Please listen carefully as some menu options have changed. Your call may be monitored for quality-assurance reasons, or just because we’re creepy sons of bitches. For cut granite, press 1. For crushed stone, press 2. For…”

• Murc says:

I love how the blog is making money off Atlas Shrugged.

I keep hoping to come here one day and find a big’ol Romney/Ryan 2012 banner on the site, accompanied by a post of SEK and Scott asking what charitable cause and/or high-end booze the proceeds should go to.

• Hob says:

That Atlas Shrugged ad appears to have been hand-lettered on a bar napkin. Really lends it the air of working-class authenticity that I’m sure Rand had in mind.

11. Far be it from me to shut down discussion.

By all means, carry on, sir.

I genuinely, sincerely hope that every Republican in American feels completely free to discuss this issue in as uninhibited a manner as possible. Why, I’ll even volunteer to help draw attention to their message!

12. Eric says:

Strange how Catanese didn’t seem quite so upset when the Tea Party literally shut down town hall meetings by literally shouting down every other viewpoint in the room.

13. “The left is often 1st to shut down debate as “off limits” when it deems so. Aren’t these moments supposed to open up a larger debate?”

Right! People always want to ignore the contributions of Conan the Barbarian.

14. actor212 says:

Earlier I said that Akin proved that sperm are smarter than he is, since sperm in his mind knew to stay away from a rape victim.

It looks like we’ve finally found someone even stoopider than Akin.

• STH says:

Wow.

As an atheist, I just can’t get enough of the “I apologize except I don’t because America is great because Jesus” line of reasoning.

Keep on talking, Captain Non Sequitur. Just keep on talking.

• herr doktor bimler says:

That’s an impressive interview. He genuinely claims that American exceptionalism is all about the US being the only country in the world that has a state religion.

15. OlderThanDirt says:

So if raped women don’t become pregnant, why does ethnic cleansing so often include mass rapes? Here’s a BBC article about it. One quote, “Women were raped so they could give birth to a Serbian baby.”

In some ways I’m grateful that these hatebags have dropped the veil. I remember when I would say, “They just hate the idea that women might be human,” and people would tell me that I just didn’t understand how much they cared about the babies. Well that story is shot to hell.

• Craigo says:

I get what you’re saying, but I’d caution against using this sort of thing as evidence. Rape as AIDS cure is pretty popular in some parts of the world as well.

• OlderThanDirt says:

I don’t see the equivalence. Serbs believe that raping Moslem women will make Serb babies and some people believe that rape will cure AIDS. Seems like science backs up the Serbs. This article includes a picture of some of the babies born to the raped women. Do you have evidence of anyone cured of AIDS by rape? If you do, I will use caution in my examples of evidence.

16. cpinva says:

and the left just absolutely refuses to seriously consider the scientific merits of the biblical story of creation, vs the Big Bang Theory of the universe’s creation, and the theory of evolution, to explain the origin of species. clearly, the left is demonstrably intolerant of other theories, within the scientific context. it’s secular censorship i tell ya!

17. [...] Politico FTW – Lawyers, Guns & Money: Leave it to the geniuses at Politico to win the award for Worst Media Response to Todd Akin’s rape comments. Dave Catanese stepped up to the plate on this one. [...]

18. Sherm says:

According to TPM, Catanese has been dropped from covering the Akin story on account of his idiotic tweets.