Kitty Wells, RIP

[ 20 ] July 16, 2012 |

Well this sucks. God may not have made honky tonk angels, but there’s a honky tonk angel gone to meet God*

*or whatnot

1. howard says:

i’m embarassed to admit that i didn’t even realize that she was still alive, so it came as a double shock: what a great song in particular and what a giant overall.

• howard says:

don slack, who does a great country music show on thursday evenings on kexp (which is available online and maintains a 2-week archive), is going to do a tribute to wells this week, which i’m sure will be worth checking out.

2. Pinko Punko says:

This month seems to have a cluster of 90 year old greats. These are the very last of many cultural eras. Super great voice.

3. Henry Holland says:

On a more session musician note, the excellent Motown bass player Bob Babbitt died today.

The Pittsburgh-born Babbitt’s most notable bass performances include “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” (by Stevie Wonder), “War” (by Edwin Starr), “The Tears of a Clown” (by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles), “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” and “Inner City Blues” (by Marvin Gaye), “Band Of Gold” (by Freda Payne), “Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World Is Today)“, and Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) (by The Temptations).

He participated in hundreds of other hits, including “Little Town Flirt” by Del Shannon, “I Got a Name” by Jim Croce, “Midnight Train to Georgia” by Gladys Knight & the Pips, “Scorpio” by Dennis Coffey & the Detroit Guitar Band, and “(The) Rubberband Man” by The Spinners.

RIP Awesome Bass Player Man

4. M. Bouffant says:

Ha, beat you guys to something for once, & w/ different videos. I’ll share the song HTA answered.

5. creature says:

Back in my youth, wgen I had more time and less responsibility, I poured over album sleeves and music magazines. I sought out all those connections between performers- the session musicians that really put the ‘good stuff’ in a recording. Bob Babbitt was the badass bassist, for, like everybody. Jon Lord, his Deep Purple stuff notwithstanding, worked with some great session people to create a beautifully diverse musical legacy. Kitty Wells was always one of those country performers who hit all the numbers for a Nashville artist to hit, to be a Nashville artist. All will be sorely missed, and yes, an era is coming to an end.