The rage of the true believer

[ 176 ] June 26, 2012 |

Selections from this afternoon’s in-box:

You, who are on the public payroll, should take your camping gear and go camp out south of Tucson for a week.

I’m certain you couldn’t hack it and you would be wishing you had a gun for protection.

You, in your comfortable office at CU, don’t have a clue what Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California have been dealing with for years. Now it’s everywhere.

Have you volunteered to take in and support your share of ILLEGALS – lodging, food, ESL, medical care? Why not? You are expecting the rest of us to do it.

I stand in line often behind mother, father, and 3-5 kids (none of whom speak English) in the grocery store while they pay for a whole basket of groceries with government cards…..then I pay my hard-earned cash for what I can afford. My tax dollars are being spent by persons of your ilk to support an invasion of people breaking the law.

You call yourself a lawyer? What exactly does “LAW” mean to you?

OUT HERE IN THE REAL WORLD, WE ARE SICK OF YOUR MEANINGLESS GUILT. WE ARE SICK OF YOUR REDISTRIBUTION EFFORTS. WE ARE SICK OF BEING TREATED LIKE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS WHEN LAW-BREAKERS ARE TREATED LIKE YOUR BEST BUDDIES.

We had a good idea here at one time — people aspired to come here legally and become “Americans”.

Hope you are learning Spanish.

Ever read Atlas Shrugged? We are there.

[name redacted]

P.S. Law students suing their law schools because they don’t have a job waiting when they get out……? You have created a bunch of whiney, lazy, monsters.

You’re an overpaid liberal a$$wipe. I can’t wait for Thursday when Scalia writes the opinion for tossing Obammycare. And I hope he lives a long time and continues to drive you crazy with his conservative decisions.

I’ll be back in touch on Thursday to rub it in your face.

It’s really pathetic that someone with your obvious limited knowledge of the US Constitution is allowed to pollute the minds of students of taxpayers who pay your salary.

If Scalia is a ranting old man perhaps you would not mind debating him at some point…what say you???

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to go fuck yourself you miserable liberal piece of dogshit. And I mean that in the nicest possible way asshole.

There is no measure of how far and how fast right wing people adverse to you can ( and hopefully will) bring this fight TO YOUR DOORSTEP.

Its a dame shame that idiots like yourself have such BULLY PULPIT [capitalization supplied]. Beware there are patriots among us that understand how the country was founded. It is the truth that you fear. Ugly liars like yourself are growing weaker every day.

Do you remember/understand this?

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”
Patrick Henry

Quality later addition:

You’re such a Moronic Socialist Imbecil.

What I find interesting about this sort of reaction is the intensity of the set of beliefs that generates it. These beliefs tend to include:

(a) The Constitution makes the ideology of late 19th century laissez-faire economic theory the fundamental law of the land.

(b) Questions regarding whether this is a desirable thing from a moral or practical standpoint — such as for example the question of whether in practice that ideology produces monopoly capitalism rather than The Garden of Libertarian Virtues — are “therefore” not admissible into political and legal debate as a matter of definitional fiat.

So “liberals” (reminder: this means people who believe in having an income tax and some sort of regulatory administrative state) are not merely wrong — they’re cheating, as it were. They don’t just have bad beliefs: they refuse to play the legal game by its “real” rules.

Update: Regarding the discussion in the comments regarding the inherent laziness of coal miners:

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. Cody says:

Wow, this is a good one when talking about immigration law!

Beware there are patriots among us that understand how the country was founded.

Yes, the country was founded by a large number of illegal immigrants. The only difference here is Mexicans are trying to take our land, just live on it. Relative to our own illegal immigration adventures, they’re being pretty kind!

2. Scott S. says:

Man, I don’t know how y’all do it. I’ve never gotten mail anywhere near that vehement, and I blog about a topic that certainly has its fair share of lunatic fanboys.

I don’t even know whether to find those emails funny or not. Should I find them funny or not?

3. actor212 says:

Man, Paul, you must have struck a nerve!

Either that, or its foreplay.

4. ploeg says:

“Ever read Atlas Shrugged?” == “I would shit the bed if I ever dreamed of ‘taking my camping gear’ and leaving ‘looter’ civilization, such as it is, to go fend for myself.”

• Scott S. says:

I think some of the Randroids are getting more honest with themselves — “Yeah, we’d never be able to enjoy the comforts we have now if we were living out in the wilderness with no slaves to toil for us. Obviously, we’ll need to own slaves. And we’ll need serfs to tax, and some countries we can invade and loot. Self-determination, huzzah!”

• Eric says:

Ayn Rand was also an “illegal immigrant” as the phrase is used today: misrepresented herself on immigration documents.
      Eric

• JMP says:

Plus the answer should always be, “why should I waste my time on one of the worst, most notorious pieces of disreputable trash ever written?”

5. greylocks says:

When you combine the emotional and social development of a three-year-old with the body of an adult, this is what you get.

This is all just me-me-me-mine-mine-mine and a lot of tantrum throwing when they are asked to share their toys or stop running around the restaurant screaming.

6. Scott Lemieux says:

Did we get a link from the Gateway Pundit or something? Paul’s previous post seems to have attracted a whole new group of dumbshit trolls.

7. tt says:

I don’t think that’s right. You’re assuming a more developed theoretical framework than is actually exhibited by the emails you posted. This is just classic racial resentment. If the issue was really disagreement over “laissez-faire economic theory”, there are many examples you could use, but it always seems to come down to version of dark people using food stamps.

8. Nathan Williams says:

Reading this in RSS it looked like it was all one message. It turns out, though, that the individual pieces are just as incoherent as that imagined whole.

9. wengler says:

There’s a lot of self-loathing there, and I’m sure a whole lot of revenge fantasies.

10. Icarus Wright says:

I had no idea only CU had a comfortable office.

Hahaha Yeah Campos, put your money where your big fat liberal myeaarrghhhh ugh sputter fume

¡Buen trabajo!

11. Dirk Gently says:

I’m particularly amused by the assuredness of connecting Spanish-speaking with illegality. I can also safely assume he performed a citizen’s arrest wherewith to examine their government card.

Related, here in Colorado where we have “no idea” what the border states are putting up with: a surefire way to separate the xenophobes from the “principled” worriers over illegal immigration is to (1) gauge their reaction to “Little Mexico” in west-central Aurora; (2) see if they can spot the “illegals” among the “hard workin’ ‘mericans” at the meatpacking plant in Greeley.

• Karate Bearfighter says:

Similarly, I’m struck by the writer’s certainty that that anyone who isn’t speaking English can’t speak English. (Of course, this is a minor bone to pick when the entire family in the grocery store was made up to “prove” his point. It’s likely complaining about the grammar of one of Thomas Friedman’s cabdrivers.)

• Dirk Gently says:

Indeed. Every single day I take my kids to the playground, I hear kids who switch between English and Spanish depending on convenience (or more often, mixing the two).

Also, one extra “Harrumph!” for the well placed dig at Friedmethnography.

• DrDick says:

My father’s family immigrated to the US in 1848, but German remained the language in the home through my grandfather’s generation. Indeed, it was also the language spoken in the community as a whole, as they lived in the Baden neighborhood on the northeast side of St. Louis. My father (born in 1925) was the first member of the family who was not bilingual and the first to marry someone who was not German (in 1950).

• Rick Venema says:

How many federal government programs were your ancestors on? The problem I have with immigrants today is that they want Washington, D,C, as their mommy, their dietician, their redeemer, their confessor, their confidant, their meal ticket, their decision-maker, their butcher, baker and candlestick maker. Perhaps you should think through the implications of this objective fact.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

• Malaclypse says:

Shorter Rick: bring back the 19th century. I am not a crackpot.

• Rick Venema says:

The 19th Century you say? I’m 56 years old. I worked for everything I got in my life, never used a food stamp, never cashed an unemployment check, never took out a student loan, never asked for a handout, got my first job at 15, and bought the house I now live in in my mid 20s.

Liberals think this comes from oppressing and stealing from others. I say it comes from hard work and faith in God.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

• Erik Loomis says:

Note: This also explains the massive personal and financial success achieved by hard-working evangelical coal miners in West Virginia, all living in their mansions on top of mountaintop removal sites.

• Rick Venema says:

West Virginia has been run by corrupt Democrat-run unions and Democrat politicians for decades and decades. Perhaps if they instituted a right-to-work law they could attract business investment that will lift all boats.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS,VIRGINIA

• Erik Loomis says:

Note: This also explains the massive personal and financial success achieved by hard-working evangelical coal miners in Kentucky and Tennessee, all living in their mansions on top of mountaintop removal sites

• Rick Venema says:

Better Kentucky than Detroit or East St. Louis, two good examples of what happens when a society is ravaged by a “compassionate” tax-and-spend, welfare dependent, union-run regime.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA

• Erik Loomis says:

But I thought hard work and faith in Jeebus equals success. If not white evangelical coal miners in right-to-work Kentucky, why you?

• Malaclypse says:

Better anywhere in liberal Taxachussetstan than any of those places.

• Rick Venema says:

I’m sure those that took charge of their own destiny, accepted personal responsibility for their actions, and worked hard did rise above their station in those areas. It’s been done before.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

• Erik Loomis says:

So the coal miners in Kentucky working 10 or more hours a day did not work hard enough?

• Malaclypse says:

above their station

Always the feudalism with the conservatrolls.

• John says:

Kentucky’s not actually right to work. Tennessee is, though.

• Malaclypse says:

I worked for everything I got in my life

I educated myself. I pave my own roads, pump my own water, inspect my own meat.

• DrDick says:

You never attended a public school? Never used a public road? Never relied on the public police or fire department? You received many gifts from this society, for which you should be grateful and your success is based in large part on those gifts you received. You never accomplished anything on your own, but only with the assistance of many others.

• fasteddie9318 says:

You never attended a public school?

This one, actually, I might believe.

• Rick Venema says:

The quality of our public schools is much worse than when I attended, and that happens to have coincided with the federal government sticking its nose into what was once a purely local affair run by local concerned parents.

Fire and police are local government. Parks are local government. The vast majority of roads are local or state government.

But if you want to reduce the scope of government to only those things you listed plus national defense, it would be a vast improvement. Of course we all know the federal government does far more than that, all to our detriment.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

• Malaclypse says:

Shorter Rick: The Preamble is not part of the Constitution, because I am not a crackpot.

• Holden Pattern says:

Parks are local government.

Ulysses S. Grant was a filthy commie.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

• DrDick says:

Shorter Rick V: Everything went to shit when they let all them n****rs vote and go to our schools.

Got news for you fuckwit, I am 60 and grew up in Oklahoma. Things are a lot better now than they were back then and any problems in your schools are because Republican legislators keep cutting funding, eroding the curriculum, and forcing teachers to “teach to the test.”

• Warren Terra says:

I will be generous and assume this refers to the Department Of Education, and not to Brown v Board. Thing is, it’s flat wrong: the D of Ed doesn’t do much of anything, in part because it has so little money – or at least it didn’t, until Conservatives insisted on high-stakes testing, and Dubya paired the high-stakes testing with liberals’ desire for more federal Education money to create a bipartisan No Child Left Behind.

But that’s still a recent phenomenon – I’m fairly sure it’s not what you’re referring to. Almost certainly, you’re referring to a perceived drop in the quality of public education over the last 40 years or so. It is not in the slightest bit a coincidence that over these same 40 years or so women and minorities have newly found it possible to aspire to jobs of higher status and pay than “public school teacher”. “Public school teacher” is unfortunately not a high-status or a high-paying job in our society; for the first two-thirds of the twentieth century, and persisting for decades afterwards as teachers continued on in their careers, “public school teacher” was about the best job that the most talented members of roughly half of our society could aspire to. I think our society is the richer for broadening the horizons of women and minorities, but our public schools have suffered to make this possible.

• Major Kong says:

Oh jeez, yet another conservative who thinks he invented the work ethic.

• Matthew says:

The sad thing is that you obviously really believe this. I come from a super conservative family, many of whom think similarly to you (and many are just as disillusioned by thinking they made it all on their own). The only thing this has taught me is that I probably just wasted 45 seconds of my life typing this.

• JMP says:

Probably as many as most immigrants today, since nearly all government benefits are only available to citizens. That’s why immigrants, both legal and undocumented, pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits.

• burritoboy says:

They were on lots of welfare programs in the nineteenth century. Heck, the government just gave away free land to lots of immigrants just because they managed to get themselves to various Plain States.

• Hogan says:

How many federal government programs were your ancestors on?

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

Well, in all likelihood, the Grand Army of the Republic for one. W. T. Sherman sends his best wishes.

• M. Bouffant says:

Possibly apocryphal, but my mother claimed that when she went to Texas in 1948 to meet my father’s German-descended family, there were still (after 100 yrs. of immigration.) so many German-speakers in the area (The Hill Country) that many of the slave-descended people in the area had to be able to speak at least a little bit of German.

• DrDick says:

I don’t doubt that at all. My grandfather still spoke German with friends in St. Louis into the 1950s or 1960s. Eventually thaey began dying off and he didn’t have anyone to speak it with since my grandmother, also half German, did not speak the language (and the only reason my father did not).

• Pupienus says:

Around Fredericksburg they still speak German. There is, or used to be, an Institute of Texan Cultures or some such in San Antonio. More or less a museum, it’s well worth a visit. Anyway, they mention such things as you related.

• John says:

The latest volume of Caro contains a lengthy description of German Chancellor Erhard’s visit to LBJ’s ranch in December 1963 and his visit to nearby Fredericksburg, where everybody still spoke German.

• JMP says:

And he complains that “they pay for a whole basket of groceries with government cards…..then I pay my hard-earned cash for what I can afford.” Guess what, only citizens and long-term permanent residents are eligible for food stamps; legal immigrants who have been in the US are ineligible, much less “illegals”. So the family he was complaining about were citizens.

It almost seems like this was really all about racial resentment and not immigration status after all.

12. wengler says:

For the people that complain about Spanish being spoken near them, they should probably get out more and maybe realize this is institutionally one of the most monolingual countries in the world. All of government and most commerce is English only.

But I’m a baby and I need everything to be the way I want! WAH! WAH!

• Malaclypse says:

Yes, but they must press one for English! Don’t you see the oppression?

• Icarus Wright says:

You’ve heard this one, right?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual.
        What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.
        What do you call someone who speaks one language? American.

• JMP says:

But people are near me and having a private conversation in a language I can’t understand! Why they could be making fun of my bald spot or beer gut! STOP OPPRESSING ME SO MUCH!

• Matthew says:

I rarely run into blowhards that deserve it here in Colorado, but I think my new solution will just be to start speaking only in Spanish. I’m an Irish looking white guy but I use Spanish for my job.

13. Curmudgeon says:

Ah, the wisdom of the American majority.

Too ignorant to understand reality.

Too rabid to be educated.

Too stupid to know when to shut up.

All too happy to vote to destroy civilization as we know it as long as someone else is worse off than they are.

14. Colin says:

As somebody who’s spent most of the last 11 years of my life in either New Mexico or Texas, allow me to say that what I dealt with there wasn’t really any different from what I’ve dealt with in any other state (which is to say, some idiots, but generally no unique problems).

• Hogan says:

Reconquista, bitchez. It’s Spanish for “return of the repressed,” which is Latin for “move back to Ohio, ’cause you’re fucked.”

• DrDick says:

I suspect that there are as many undocumented aliens in Chicago as in Dallas, Houston, or Albuquerque. Frankly, I am more afraid of the white rightwing loons, as they have a proven record of poorly directed lethal rage.

• Heron says:

As someone born and still living in Texas that’s been my experience. Your average Texas citizen is more afraid of attracting the attention of the police and suffering under the tender mercies of our draconian legal system than they are of immigrants. In fact, most attempts to pass anti-immigrant laws like those in Arizona and Alabama have gone down to defeat in Texas.

15. Ethan Evans says:

Colorado, Texas, Arizona, California… All Spanish names. The southern states used to belong to Mexico. Look it up!

16. a hip hop artist from Idaho (fka Bella Q) says:

The inner bigoted rageoholics have all been loosed, and they advise that it’s not just strapping young bucks but also entire families of Spanish speaking brown folks stealing out hard earned tax dollars. Can we send all these idiots to Texas before it secedes?

17. Njorl says:

Its a dame shame that idiots like yourself have such BULLY PULPIT

There is nothing like a shame.

18. DrDick says:

That is some weapons grade incoherent crazy there. I do hope that these lost souls are locked away where they cannot injure themselves.

19. efgoldman says:

How about replying to each of them with a little virusy message.
    All them he men don’t need no anti-virus or anti-malware. They’ll just take out their shootin’ arns and blast away.

Fuckheads.

20. mark f says:

Aaaaaaaand then we have “The Aesthetic Taste of True Believer,” in which Power Line celebrates the brilliance of James McNaughton – the guy who paints pictures of Obama standing on the Constitution and Jesus helping to write it. I’m not sure whether the commenters there are more thrilled with McNaughton’s work or angry with liberals who make fun of it.

21. jefft452 says:

“I stand in line often behind mother, father, and 3-5 kids (none of whom speak English)”

How would he know if they speak English or not?

• Holden Pattern says:

Maybe he means, “they don’t speak English in front of him”?

Because what the kids are saying is: “Daddy, I’m scared. That white guy has really scary eyes! Is it really legal for him to carry a gun like that? What does ‘filthy spic’ mean?”

Hell, I wouldn’t speak English in front of that guy either.

22. kth says:

Re the first graf: by my back-of-the-envelope reckoning, a native Arizonan stands a much greater chance of being wantonly murdered in the entrance of a Tucson grocery store than in the middle of the Sonora desert.

23. Rick Venema says:

I’ve been reading this site for a while now and it seems that if you believe our rights are given to us by God and not the government, that makes you a “racist”, if you believe it’s your money first and not the governments, then you’re a “racist”, if you believe in individual responsibility, you’re a “racist”, if you believe in secure borders, you’re a “racist”, and if you don’t approve of Mr. Obama, you are a “racist”.

Funny logic the Democrats have, especially when you look at the rather checkered racial history of the Democrat Party.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS,VIRGINIA

• I’ve been reading this site for a while now

Me too! Which post is your favourite?

• DrDick says:

reading

I don’t think that word means what you think it does.

• Rick Venema says:

I see empty name calling and insults is all liberals continue to offer in the name of reasoned argument.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

• Your name rhymes with “enema” right?

• M. Bouffant says:

That’s right, invoking Gawd & worshiping it as why you are so successful is the greatest reasoned argument ever.

• DrDick says:

Says the man who posted a fact free, illogical screed that disproved his first sentence.

Also, comments like this might suggest why you are so sensitive to charges of racism:

Rick Venema says:
          June 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA

• JMP says:

Now, how could you suggest a man who said something like “It seems to me that this is what made our country strong and prosperous, before it was undermined by big government largess in the 1930s and cultural revolution in the 1960s” might have a bit of a problem with race?

J—– P——
            PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA

• Malaclypse says:

I believe God gives me the right to read what you wrote and conclude you are either lying or an idiot.

• greylocks says:

+$ for the LGM piggy bank.

• JMP says:

No; if you believe our rights come from god and not something that actually exists, then you’re just delusional; if you say “you believe it’s your money first” then that means you’re probably going to start whining like a little spoiled baby about how you don’t want to pay your taxes like a fucking adult; if you believe in “individual responsibility”, then that means you’re a douchebag who doesn’t think government should do its most basic job and help its people; if you believe in “secure borders”, then yes you probably are a racist against Mexicans; if you don’t approve of Obama for specifically racist reasons, then you are a racist; and if you are a racist, then you are a racist.

• M. Bouffant says:

If Gawd gave us “rights,” what’s happened to them? How could it allow them to be taken away like this?

I don’t remember seeing the words “passport” or “immigration” anywhere in the Bible.

• Holden Pattern says:

But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34 (KJE)

Apparently this is also one of the verses of Leviticus that were wiped away by wingtard Jesus along with the ritual prohibitions, leaving only the fagbashing verses.

• DrDick says:

There is also this:

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

• Rick Venema says:

Where does the Lord say that this is to come from the government at the force of a gun? He is speaking of private charity.

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

• Malaclypse says:

The rabbi is speaking rather clearly about the duties the group owes to the destitute, and the way we accomplish that is government. Also, where does the good rabbi identify himself as God? Be specific and cite chapter and verse.

• JMP says:

Besides which, this is just from the Bible, which is meaningless regarding US law. There we turn to the Constitution, which says: “The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States”

So yes, collecting taxes for welfare is the duty of the US government.

• Malaclypse says:

general Welfare

What? Rick Venema (COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA) will have you know that is Communism!

• fasteddie9318 says:

True, he cut off verse 46, which reads:

“Unless some commie government bureaucrat is forcing you to give shit to the looters, in which case, FUCK THAT NOISE.”

• Holden Pattern says:

The only “least of these” that count are embryos. So sayeth wingtard Jesus.

• Pupienus says:

Even better, the Jewish tradition doesn’t connect Sodom and Gomorrah with homos at all, it’s only the Christians. And the sin of Sodom was being greedy and inhospitable to strangers.

• Cody says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Israelites were the worst kind of illegal immigrants. Additionally, Moses was apparently a great border runner.

• Matthew says:

I like how Christ’s command to love one another has been construed as an edict to discriminate against people based on an imaginary line on the ground.

• Holden Pattern says:

The United States has been infected by a fairly nasty form of nationalist / Mammonite / revanchist folk religion that still calls itself “Christianity”.

• fasteddie9318 says:

Dear Mr. President,

There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three.

Rick Vememema

ALL CAPS HEIGHTS, WHITEISTAN

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

• Colin Day says:

what if rights derive neither from God nor government?

• FlipYrWhig says:

Well, you know, it IS the government’s money. It’s printed and minted by the government. Without the imprimatur of the government, it would just be ugly-looking pictures of presidents that conveniently fit into wallets.

• Furious Jorge says:

I’m not familiar with this organization called the Democrat Party. Could you elaborate and tell me more about it?

24. Major Kong says:

About the only things in or near Colonial Heights, VA are Fort Lee and Virginia State University.

So odds are he’s either feeding at the state or federal government trough.

25. Holden Pattern says:

Apparently, every one of those emails that Paul quoted was from “Rick Venema, COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA”.

• Matthew says:

Normally I can’t stand these troll posts because I’m reading it at the end of the workday, I’m not trying to get upset about stupid things, and oftentimes I end up getting angry anyways. But the comic relief in this thread has been enormous. Bravo to all

• bobbyp says:

6.27% black population. A racial paradise, for sure.

26. M. Bouffant says:

universities are funded at the State level

Really? Not a penny of Federal money goes to any institutions of higher learning?

our Southpark Mall is the largest indoor climate-controlled shopping center between Richmond and Rocky Mount

Ah, he’s a a Mall Cop.

Also: Are there indoor shopping malls that aren’t climate-controlled?

27. Major Kong says:

Those socialists up in Canukistan have a much bigger one in West Edmonton.

28. Lurker Delurking says:

His hometown explains sooooo much. Let me elaborate.

I grew up in the tri-cities/Fort Lee area. Most schools and towns in the area are well integrated, between 25 and 40 percent black, except for one. Colonial Heights, aka Colonial Whites. It was founded as a notorious “sundown town”. I went to Hopewell High and at football games vs. CHHS their spectators would make loud ape and monkey noises directed at our black cheerleaders. The kicker? This was around 1993. Even the not very progressive whites of the surrounding towns and counties considered people there to be unacceptably racist.
    NAME REDACTED, FORMERLY OF HOPEWELL, VIRGINIA

P.s. Southpark Mall blows

• Holden Pattern says:

Let me reiterate:

COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VIRGINIA

29. creature says:

Man, I love the entertainment up in here today! Got wildfires threatening to burn me and Campos up, the air’s so bad I can barely breathe, and the fedrul guvmunt has set up a back-up crew of firefighters right here in Boulder, and they can save our poor old commiepinkolibrallooter asses, without interfering with the efforts elsewhere in the state. My (and the VIRGINIAN’S, too) tax dollahs at work! Is this a great country, or what? BTW, my father’s parents got here right after WW1, from Der Faterland, and everyone spoke German, in the house, ’til they moved out. My German is sketchy (despite an Army tour in Germany in the 70’s), but my Spanish- pretty goddam good. And I grew up in- Ohio!
    Mr. Campos, is Mr. Venema going to be a regular contributor, or just an infrequent guest when you happen to ring the ‘bring out the gimp’ bell?

30. bbkf says:

this line continues to fascinate me…just when exactly was this fabled time of all schools being run by local, concerned parents? ooooh, i know! i bet it was before the wimmens were let out of the kitchen and started that whole wimmens lib thing!

jeepers, really? it seems to me that even laurafuckingingallsfuckingwilder had to report to a higher authority than the local, concerned parents…

• M. Bouffant says:

Unconcerned parents were not allowed to serve on the school board.

• jefft452 says:

“The quality of our public schools is much worse than when I attended…”
      Also too
      If you’re 56, then when you graduated HS Jimmy Carter was president and the House of Representatives had been controlled by Democrats for your entire life

• Anne says:

Oh, you mean that bit in The Long Winter (or was it Little Town on the Prairie? I forget) where Laura had to diagram sentences and do math problems for the territorial dept. of education representative, who was the only person in the area who could certify her to teach primary school? And how none of the public schools would hire her if she didn’t have that certificate?

Fiction, clearly. Made up to liberalize generations of younger readers. Every bit of it a dangerous fantasy, just like those parts about the townsfolk of De Smet being all excited when they found out the Dakota Territory finally qualified for statehood. What they really did was bust out their rifles and pitchforks when they heard the feds were coming for them.

/sarcasm

31. Another Kiwi says:

once a purely local affair run by local concerned parents.
    I fear that the days of the neighbourhood Molecular Biologist popping in to the local high school and giving Molecular Biology lessons, may be passed.

32. Mike S. says:

LGM is rapidly becoming one of my favorite blogs.

33. Whatever says:

I think most middle class people would like to go to work without paying taxes like illegals do.

Can you get to work on that?

• MAJeff says:

cracker, please

• Whatever says:

I enjoyed having my salary and quality of working environment destroyed by massive influxes of H1-B Visa Indentured Servants.

Thanks for standing with me on this issue. It will be remembered.

• Spuddie says:

Which is why sane immigration reform will never happen.

The sensible thing to do would be to make work visas portable for the employee so they are no longer at the mercy of underpaying exploitative employers.

However, the nativist lobby is far too bigoted and fucking stupid to consider such things. They think restrictive employment visas are “saving American jobs”. In reality they just make it easier to bring foreigners in more cheaply (and illegally in some cases) By looking for greater restrictions on foreigners coming to work they screw themselves over without realizing it.

• Furious Jorge says:

I think most people who are here illegally (I refuse to use the loaded, racist term “illegals” when describing a living breathing human being – people aren’t illegal, asshole) would love the opportunity to pay taxes if it meant they got to participate in the whole American Dream thing without constantly worrying about whether they’re going to be deported.

Liberalize immigration laws and let them pay income taxes. It’s a win-win.

Asshole.

• Spuddie says:

The anti-immigration crowd is too stupid for its own good. Never has a group been so self-destructive in their platform

Draconian measures against illegals and restrictions on visas only drive people further towards the underground economy. Making it easier for them to be exploited for cheap wages and driving down. Hurting wages across the board.

Of course those mooks are too hung up on keeping out people with accents and brown skin to think these things through. Its nothing but bigotry keeping things going with that crowd.

34. Whatever says:

Massive, and near insane, consolidation of school districts occurred from around 1970 onward.

So within leaving memory.

35. tigris says:

I’ll be back in touch on Thursday to rub it in your face.

OOPSIE.