Specious Religious Freedom Argument Rejected

[ 14 ] March 27, 2012 |

Good. The point that “This case is about the limits of the government’s ability to delegate to a religious institution the right to use taxpayer money to impose its beliefs on others (who may or may not share them)” is particularly crucial.

1. actor212 says:

Now, if the SCOTUS Catholics like Scalia will respect that decision, we might finally make some headway here.

2. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

This would all be much simpler if government would, once again, step up to the plate and directly provide basic services rather than delegating them to private institutions, faith-based religious or secular.

• c u n d gulag says:

Soshulizm!
      Commonizm!

• Uncle Kvetch says:

I’ve heard this argument a lot, IB, and frankly it puzzles me. Look at how the Sandra Fluke thing was (completely dishonestly, of course) twisted into “She wants MY TAXES to pay for her slutting around!”

Do you really think we’d have less screeching and poo-flinging if it really was taxpayer money?

• c u n d gulag says:

Yeah, if they can turn a woman testifying before Congress that there are medicinal reasons to use “The Pill” besides just birth control, and turn her into a slutty, skanky, street ‘ho, without much push-back from the MSM, btw, then why would we have expected anything less, in that case, than ‘The Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Three-ring Communism Circus?”

• Incontinentia Buttocks says:

That’s not the point.

The right will scream bloody murder one way or another.

The point is that I trust the government to do the right thing far more than I trust religious institutions.

The bipartisan commitment to privatizing social services not only results in worse social services, but also reinforces anti-government sentiments.

• ironic irony says:

I could not agree with you more.

I gave birth in a socialist country. The care I received was excellent.

(sigh) My fellow Americans don’t know what they are missing.

3. c u n d gulag says:

Conservative Rube’s POV:
    “Shoot, this then thar muss be one of that them thar “Activist Judges” I keep hearin’ ’bout on Rush, Sean, and Glenn’s shows!”

4. S. cerevisiae says:

This is one of the things that shocked me about the contraception screeching over “religious freedom” for the employer but NOT the employee. It shows how seriously they really take all that talk about liberty and freedom.

5. めむぉぽ says:

And I ne’er read ANY handbook nowadays unless either Miss Stacy or simply Mrs Allan deems it is a correct guide for a woman sixteen and three-quarters to read.