Peak Collins

[ 18 ] March 8, 2012 |

Shorter Verbatim Gail Collins: “I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this, but Mitt Romney once drove to Canada with the family Irish setter on the roof of the car.”

And, yes, this is intended to be some nice self-lacerating wit, except that this precedes an entire column trying and inevitably failing to justify her consuming interest in this bit of trivia.

1. Njorl says:

One commenter put an interesting spin on it. He likened the anti-Mitt conservatives to Seamus, strapped to the roof on Mitt’s drive to the White house. He didn’t take the extra step of comparing Seamus’ fear induced diarrhea to Santorum, though.

2. Erik Loomis says:

If I’m Maureen Dowd, I’m pissed that my colleague is stealing my bit.

• c u n d gulag says:

Collins is a much better writer.

The only times Dowd was decent on the Op-ed page, was when taking on “Baby Doc” Bush, and then the Catholic Church.

Dowd covers politics like it’s gossip-time in HS.

And she does her best to emasculate the Democrats – the male ones, that is.
      She makes the women sound like 300lb lesbians, with hairy coconuts and a huge banana between their legs.

• Warren Terra says:

Collins, for all her manifold faults and her shortcomings, including in this very area, is a much more serious person. Dowd wrote a memoir and did a book tour most of a decade ago, and by far the most interesting part was about how she got the plum job of New York Times White House Correspondent despite being by her own description uninterested in either politics or policy, or for that matter in hard work, and how – again, more or less by her own description – the paper gave her a column as a promotion in order to get her out of the White House Correspondent slot, and get someone else in the job who at least affected to care.

See also Bruni, Frank.

3. rea says:

In the context of present-day discourse, beating Romney over the head with his dog is fairly mild stuff, and frankly, an instance of cruelty to a helpless animal (which Romney apparently thought was funny) gives us some much-needed insight into Romney’s character, or lack thereeof.

Hell, it’s far more relevant than a few polite remarks introducing Derrick Bell.

4. actor212 says:

Collins musta sold Sheamus to Mitt. There really is no other explanation

5. Funkhauser says:

Shorter every Gail Collins column:

“Uh, I’m very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.”

Free DL! (resigned sigh)

6. jim says:

I think that it’s a very revealing anecdote. In some ways it’s similar to George W. Bush mocking Karla Faye Tucker. It’s not wrong of Collins to harp on it.

• Ed says:

I don’t have any problems with ongoing reminders of Seamus’ plight. Remarkably creepy anecdote. Our family had an Irish setter for many years, which may influence my view somewhat.

• Marek says:

I agree. If this is the best she can do, it’s not useless. Bring’s out Rmoney’s sociopathic side.

People in the red states love their dogs as much as people in the blue states!

7. cpinva says:

if gail collins is a “serious” person, i’m eli manning. for the record, i’m not eli manning. i have blank pads of 7 column workpapers that are more “serious” than the lady collins.

in the lady collins’ defense, she had pretty much run out of ways to incorporate presidential blowjobs into her columns, so really, what is she left with?

8. EJ says:

I’m with Gail on this one. Maybe I’m just shallow and immature, but I’m pretty sure Mitt and family driving along with an Irish Setter atop the car will never stop being funny to me.

• EJ says:

Not, of course, that I think anyone should strap a dog atop a car for the comedy value. But it’s so weird and wrong that I can’t help but find it hilarious.