Gary Carter, 1954-2012

[ 25 ] February 16, 2012 |

R.I.P. Great gallery of rare photos here.

I wrote a bit about the Kid when he received the diagnosis last year. He was a really great one; his career was a little short because he was worked so hard in Montreal, but at his peak he was one of the greatest catchers ever. I’m glad that the Nationals reversed their decision not to honor his retried number, and am glad that he will be permanently honored at the Bell Centre as well.

…I was at this game!

…strongly recommend this remembrance from Mitch Melnick. See also Andrew Cohen.

1. david mizner says:

Keith Hernandez has a guote in that piece, which probably sums up how fans as well as players felt.

“We all disliked Gary when we played against him,” said Keith Hernandez, the star first baseman who became his teammate on the Mets. “He was just a little rah-rah varsity collegiate type, even though he didn’t go to college. But I respected him as a player. And when he came to New York, I appreciated him, too.”

I’m a Red Sox fan so I used to dislike him, but I would’ve loved having him in 86 instead of Rich Gedman.

How bout the trade that brought him to New York? Who did the Expos get? I can’t remember — that’s the point.

• david mizner says:

I looked it up: Hubie Brooks, Mike Fitzgerald, Herm Winningham and Floyd Youmans.

• Fighting Words says:

That quote is actually from the book, “The Bad Guys Won,” by Jeff Pearlman. There is an entire chapter on how much the Expos and the Mets disliked Gary Carter when he was playing with them.

Which is too bad, because Carter really cared about the fans and really played the game well.

2. c u n d gulag says:

No question, he’s not one of the the two/three/four greatest catchers of all time.

He ain’t no Berra/Bench/Campanella/Josh Gibson – put them in whatever order you want…

And I don’t like Dominionist Christian ballplayers in ANY sport – but, if those four aren’t available, I’ll gladly take him for my team any day of the week!

3. howard says:

absolutely one of the greats and a sad note (which is how i feel whenever someone younger than me dies).

4. wengler says:

He was a bit before my time, but all indications are he was a great player.

I still have a feeling that I will like any Expos team better than any Nationals team.

5. KadeKo says:

Last Remaining Expos Fan in CT here.

Stunning blow. For some reason, I was not expecting this to happen as soon as it did. Wishful not-thinking-on-it, I guess.

6. Manju says:

Everybody’s searching for a hero. People need someone to look up to.

Gary Carter decided long ago, never to walk in anyone’s shadows.

7. creature says:

Saw him play in the ’81 All-Star in Cleveland. I was just happy to be at the game, but I was never an Expos fan. Did like te Mets, ’cause I’m an Indians fan, and, well- it ain’t the goddam Yankees!

8. rea says:

Man, 1954-2012?

I’m now old enough to find it particularly distressing when people exactly my age start dying.

9. [...] as manly a display as Jordan’s? Absolutely not. But I’ll take it or its sibling — The Kid‘s perpetual “I just did what now?” expression — over the now-conventional [...]