That Man Knows How to Die

[ 23 ] July 18, 2011 |

Makes me curious how he managed to make it through Ronin without dying, or even getting injured.

1. Jude says:

Ronin was a much worse end for him. I mean, he was and went out like a little punk there. So much better (in the movies, that is) to be killed in hand-to-hand combat than to slink away crying.

2. Farewell, Sean. We’ll miss you.

And, apparently, we’ll be the only ones ever to do so.

3. Walt says:

This may have actually ruined movies for me. Christ, how much time of my life have I spent watching simulations of people being killed? What the hell is wrong with me?

4. G says:

FYI, in the director’s commentary for Ronin, John Frnakenheimer suggests that Sean Bean does get killed off-screen.

5. Stag Party Palin says:

I’m betting Sean Bean doesn’t like ketchup on his burgers.

6. Murc says:

Sean Bean has died so many times onscreen he may be immortal in real life now, Dorian Gray style.

A month or two ago he got into a pub fight. Dude was stabbed in the street and then chased the guy off and went back inside for another pint.

I disagree with some of the pacing in that death rell. I’d have capped it with Eddard Stark. He’s been shot so MANY times that the shotgun to the face, which for any other actor would be the logical way to close out, is sort of ‘oh, he was shot in the head. Again.’

But he’s only been beheaded, old school, that one time.

7. Ken Houghton says:

Robert F–”I’d have paid the traitor and killed him much later/But that’s just the way that I am.” I thought it was clear that Bean will not get to enjoy his severance, and that it will be severance of body parts as well as body.

Next: the great revelation that, with one exception, Jeroen Krabbe is Always a Villain.

8. Doug says:

“I sure hope that nice man Ned gets to be king.”

9. BrigittaV says:

Bah. He’s a two-legged spoiler, he is.

Although there are a few movies listed in the comments above where he doesn’t die.

10. john says:

I do like the movies where he survives on screen that his fate is actually worse than death.

Ronin was mentioned. He survived in Troy, true … but he was freaking Odysseus in that! That’s a fate worse than death.

• ajay says:

he was freaking Odysseus in that! That’s a fate worse than death.

Isn’t there a Pratchett scene in which one of the characters meets Odysseus, who just wants the war to be over:
      “Do I get to go home?”
      “Oh, yes. You go home alright. You’re famous for it. In fact, there’s whole legends about you going home.”

11. Maryanne says:

Sean very much survives in “Lady Chatterley”, in “Tom and Thomas” and “When Saturday Comes”, there must be a few others. Must say, I prefer him alive!