Irish Fail

[ 13 ] October 30, 2010 |

Brief thoughts on Notre Dame football:

So I’ll meet you at the bottom if there really is one
They always told me when you hit it you’ll know it
But I’ve been falling so long it’s like gravity’s gone and I’m just floating

It’s not like NBC to make bad decisions…

1. Scott Lemieux says:

Is it to soon to mock Notre Dame for this especially pathetic loss? What am I saying, hell no. Cue Nelson Muntz…

2. joejoejoe says:

A student videographer was killed the other day in a wind gust taping ND football practice from a scissors lift. Chancellor Jack Swarbrick called the wind “normal” but the Midwest had the lowest barometric pressure in 50 years and there were headlines like Great Lakes Cyclone everywhere. Notre Dame University should fold that sham football program of theirs like Mercedes got out of F1 when one of their cars killed a bunch of people at the Grand Prix of Monaco. A university is supposed to be wear young people go to learn, not where well compensated adults who make millions from TV deals get a kid killed by committing a deadly OSHA violation in the name of Touchdown Jesus.

Also, fuck Rudy.

3. Erik Loomis says:

Damn, I wish I had thought of this post.

4. TheStone says:

The ND hate is tiresome. Your hobby horse is tired and needs a break. Give him one.

5. Davis says:

Yet the announcers continued to insist that the win for Tulsa was the greatest in their history. Really? Against an ranked, now 4-5 team?

6. efgoldman says:

Back when Notre Dame was the rooting interest for millions of urban Irish immigrants with no hope (for the most part) of getting even a high school education, AND when college football was by far the more popular (the NFL, remember, started in cities like Canton and Decatur) AND when Catholics were being discriminated against and in some case actively persecuted, it was easy to understand off-campus Notre Dame love.

Now? Not so much.

I can understand rooting for your school, especially if its an Enormous State University with a long, proud football history, but adopting ND in the 21st century? Naaah.

Lots and lots of Schadenfreude here.

7. Wobbly Joe says:

A DBT quote in a football post—makes me smile.

8. Henry Holland says:

The thing that bugs me about ND football is the same thing that bugs me about the Yankees, Cowboys and Liverpool FC: the sense of entitlement from a segment of the fanbase and especially the media, that somehow the sport they play is lessened when they’re not competing/winning titles.

I’m not saying that because I’m a bitter Everton supporter, oh no.

9. Morbo says:

Tulsa? More like Lulsa, am I right folks?

10. Fish on Fridays! says:

The author of the original post is probably a fifth down, high arrest, low graduation rate, one (shared) national title, actually punted to the Rocket with the game on the line, CU fan.