In light of the news that Robert Gates will step down in 2011, I would like to announce my candidacy for the position of Secretary of Defense of the United States of America. A non-exhaustive list of my qualifications:
- Attended a CNAS Christmas party.
- Can stand for several hours.
- Got lost once near the Pentagon parking lot.
- Knew a guy who worked in a defense related field, although we kind of lost touch a few years back. I could probably still find his e-mail, though.
- Can list the names of every battleship since USS South Carolina from memory, as long as you don’t count the ones that were never built.
- Have watched Red Dawn 19 times, Top Gun 26 times, and Hunt for Red October 45 times.
Now to make plane and hotel reservations for the Senate confirmation hearings…