Smoke Up and Be Somebody

[ 19 ] December 5, 2012 |

If cigarettes are good for birds, it must make sense that they are good for humans too, right?

I wonder if there’s a way we can impart this knowledge to children? This might work:

1. Erik, I always thought you would make a great smoker.

2. Johnny Sack says:

More doctors smoke Camels than any other brand

3. c u n d gulag says:

This answers the question, “Is our birdies learning?”

4. NonyNony says:

FTA:

According to researchers at St. Andrews University, the nicotine and other chemicals in discarded filters act as a natural pesticide that repels parasitic mites

I know what they were trying to say here, but the word “natural” in that sentence seems really misplaced.

• Njorl says:

Nicotine is natural. The path it takes getting into the bird is not, but the nicotine itself is.

• NonyNony says:

If they’d said “the nicotine acts as a natural pesticide…” then the use of the word natural would not at all be out of place. IIRC the whole reason that tobacco plants create nicotine is to dissuade pests from eating the leaves since it’s a poison.

It’s the use of the word natural with the phrase “other chemicals in discarded filters” that has me thinking that there must be another word to use there.

5. TBP says:

It’s been so long since cigarette ads were allowed on TV that I had almost forgotten this commercial. It’s good to be reminded that there is essentially nothing that corporations won’t stoop to in the pursuit of profit. Using beloved cartoon characters to sell an addictive, environmentally destructive, poisonous carcinogen to kids? No problem!

6. Don K says:

I really had forgotten how brazen they were at marketing cigarettes to kids in those days. But then again, that was a time when the local convenience store or gas station would sell a pack to pretty much anyone who could put the money on the counter, and it didn’t matter whether you had started puberty or not, never mind enforcing the notional 16-year-old or whatever it was legal age of the time.

7. Cool Bev says:

As I understand it, and I may not, The Flintstones was considered to be an adult show, or at least family. It was broadcast in the evening family hours, not after school/Sat morning. Still…

• Don K says:

Mmmm yeah, IIRC, they were the first show on in the network block in the evening, so 7:30 (the FCC didn’t mandate the networks not show evening programming until 8:00 until some later date). So yeah, Flintstones wasn’t a kids show for the Saturday cartoon ghetto, but I’m willing to bet the actual viewership skewed pretty young.

• Jay C says:

IIRC, “The Flintstones” was originally pitched to the TV audience as an “adult cartoon”: an approach which lasted an extraordinarily short time, even by TV standards: the show got sent back to the kid-vid ghetto after just a few months, I think. But obviously, RJ Reynolds must have thought the show had some pitch-potential to the smoking audience while in primetime…..

8. merl says:

Nothing stopped me from using cigarette vending machines in gas stations. If anyone asked, I was buying them for my dad.
    And yeah, the Flintstones weren’t a Saturday morning kid’s cartoon.