“Needless to Say”

[ 117 ] April 7, 2012 |

Mr. Rich Lowry:

Needless to say, no one at National Review shares Derb’s appalling view of what parents supposedly should tell their kids about blacks in this instantly notorious piece here.

Comments on that post closed for some technical reason that I can’t possibly fathom. Fortunately, the readership of the National Review is capable of expressing its opinion by commenting on the previous, unrelated post. Freely excerpting…

“Derbosphere”

This comment is actually about “Derb’s Screed” by Rich Lowry. External Link All I’ll say is that yes, in 1968 or 1992 we had the demographic and economic cushion to indulge in some idealistic sanctimony about this issue. That time has passed.

More and more middle- and working-class Americans will come in contact with Derb’s truths on a daily basis, and they are going to speak out about it and not feel guilty or morally inferior for doing so…as the years pass it’s going to be pretty futile to shame them into shooshing up.

“SalVetUSMC”

Derb’s Screed/Lowry’s Insult (to the readers) – I’ve never been much of a fan of Derbyshire and wondered why NRO retains him. Now I’ve become one. Lowry’s link meant I read the Screed at takimag.com that I otherwise would not have. Brilliant Mr Lowry. Offensive yes – but also a long overdue over-the-top rejoinder to the poisonous racial politics that Barack Obama has INFLAMED.

You Lowry have now associated the Derbyshire Screed with NRO by vociferously disassociating late on a Fri evening in the finest Watergate – strike that – Obamagate style. Not the other way around as far as I can tell. Can’t walk away from it now. I suppose you’ll fire him. Will the NYT, NYPost, & Orlando Sentinel ever disavow their recent articles? Right.

“Patrick J”

Derb could be 100% wrong about his talk with his kids and the necessity of giving it to them, but you’d still be wrong to disavow him on the grounds of cowardly political correctness. People used to be allowed to be wrong, and opposing opinions, even ones we disagreed with, used to be tolerated, even protected. What happened?

Of course after the way you treated Ann Coulter, and the eagerness you and your ilk have shown for disassociating yourselves from Pat Buchanan, this comes as no surprise. But it’s no less cowardly, and depressing, for all its predictability.
And before you judge Derb too sanctimoniously, maybe you should wait till you’re the parent of two mixed race Eurasian teens who may well face challenges that you can’t even imagine. Derb’s responsibilities are to his family, not to catering to your maidenly sensibilities.

And so I guess I’m less than convinced by the “needless to say” part of Rich’s post; are the editors of NRO that out-of-sync with their readership? Inquiring minds want to know!

1. Anderson says:

Those comments will disappear into the History Eraser if they haven’t already.

So far it seems the only senior NR type saying he doesn’t want NR associated w/ the Derb is the dark-skinned one that Derb would probably avoid on general principle – better safe than sorry, etc.

• skidmarx says:

I imagine that that person would qualify as an IWSB

In that pool of forty million, there are nonetheless many intelligent and well-socialized blacks. (I’ll use IWSB as an ad hoc abbreviation.) You should consciously seek opportunities to make friends with IWSBs. In addition to the ordinary pleasures of friendship, you will gain an amulet against potentially career-destroying accusations of prejudice.

I feel dirty just copying this stuff. If you want additional cringe-inducing racism, his last two points have more on IWSBs.

• Pith Helmet says:

Wow, that’s a lot of long words to say “I have black friends.”

• R Johnston says:

And rather amusing as the statement looks like it may end up being part of a screed that destroys his career for the resulting truthful accusations of racism.

• Rarely Posts says:

The amulet line is amazing. Setting aside the massive racial insensitivity for one second, it’s like political debate is a game of magic.

Liberal: I play social welfare net program proposal (SNAP, Headstart, support to state educational programs or mass transit, Unemployment Insurance, etc.): improves the lives of many poor and lower-middle class people, improves the national economy because it is counter-cyclical, relatively small cost offset with higher tax rates on high income and closed loopholes. I tap 65% public support of program goals to try to get through unfairly rigged legislative system.

Conservative: I play “welfare queens” or similar racist appeals built on false claims about racial difference and feeding off of fantasy-based white grievance, and I thus reduce public support to only 50-55%, unable to get 60 Senators to defeat filibuster.

Liberal: I play truth card: point out that you are describing program inaccurately and are appealing to racist beliefs.

Conservative: I play “black friend amulet,” blocks truth card’s efficacy with respect to television and establishment media.

• joe from Lowell says:

The amulet line is amazing.

Any sufficiently-advanced technology will appear to be magic to someone from less-technologically-advanced society.

Contemporary discussion of race is, to conservatives, an esoteric art form.

This “amulet” theory is of a piece with the “magic words” theory of How Not To Be Accused of Racism: as long as you avoid a certain list of Magic Words – ranging from nigger to watermelon to eloquent – the gods won’t make your crops fail. You can practically hear the lament of Job from such people: But those unfair liberals keep accusing me of racism anyway, and I made sure not to use any of the magic words when I explained my latest theory! I tried really hard, and I made sure! Why, God, why?

• Rob says:

We need to make “donning the race amulet” as ubiquitous as “playing the race card”.

• Hogan says:

Yes, there’s nothing black people like better than being used as beards for pasty white racists. Except maybe watermelon.

• R Johnston says:

Herman Cain and Allen West agree!

• joe from Lowell says:

Ah, Herman Cain.

Herman Cain, who was denounced for the horrible crime of saying that “Niggerhead” is an insensitive name for a place as one clause in a sentence in which he defended Rick Perry against charges of racism for owning it.

You’re not even allowed to say that the word nigger is insensitive among movement conservatives. Even doing that while defending someone against a charge of racial insensitivity, even while applauding him for changing the name, is “playing the race card.”

I found that response pretty shocking.

• Sharon says:

I’m going to add “race amulet” to my list of mutant powers.

• Anonymous. says:

We’ll meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when,,
      But I know we’ll meet again, some sunny day.
      Keep smiling through, just like you always do,
      ‘Til the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.

2. Charlie Sweatpants says:

The intellectual growth rate of this readership can not even be charted. They are treading water on a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

That’s nutpicking, isn’t it?

• Joseph Slater says:

While I’m generally a big fan of Spinal Tap references, Tap is/was about a million times more mature and sophisticated than those folks.

Although this exchange might be more on point.

David St. Hubbins: We say, “Love your brother.” We don’t say it really, but…

Nigel Tufnel: We don’t literally say it.

David St. Hubbins: No, we don’t say it.

Nigel Tufnel: We don’t really, literally mean it.

David St. Hubbins: No, we don’t believe it either, but…

Nigel Tufnel: But we’re not racists.

David St. Hubbins: But that message should be clear, anyway.

Nigel Tufnel: We’re anything but racists.

3. Pith Helmet says:

These are the same people who employ Jonah “Liberal Fascism” Goldberg, right?

Okay then.

4. Pith Helmet says:

hahahahahaha

5. R Johnston says:

are the editors of NRO that out-of-sync with their readership?

Maybe, maybe not, but they are that out of sync with the concept of the internet. They couldn’t imagine how closing comments on a single post would be insufficient to prevent the exposure of any racism that may run among their readership and couldn’t predict the infection of comment threads responding to other posts.

Mostly they’re just kinda dumb at the NRO.

6. BigHank53 says:

Gosh, remember a couple years ago when electing a black president meant that the US was totally a post-racial society?

• mark f says:

Yeah, but Barack Obama has INFLAMED racial tensions by continuing to be black.

• Greco says:

IN PUBLIC, no less.

• c u n d gulag says:

The post-racial Conservatives:

That uppity Niggra has made me sad because he’s SO uppity that he MAKES me call him an uppity N*GGER!

And I don’t have a racist bone in my body – unlike Obama, who’s even got one through his nose!!!

And you all know who else had something through his nose?
          HITLER – THAT’S WHO!!!
          Ok – it was something under his nose – but, close enough for government contractor work…

• vacuumslayer says:

He said Trayvon Martin looked like he could be his son! What part of that DOESN’T scream “I hate Whitey!”? WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

7. J.W. Hamner says:

Interesting that NRO is officially declaring that posting about Deryshire is nutpicking. But what if I celebrate his entire catalog of racism!? Shall I burn those issues?

8. joe from Lowell says:

One thing we know about contemporary racists is that they hate to be seen as racists. They strain very hard to give themselves plausible deniability, and even to be seen as actively anti-racist.

Derbyshire is in trouble, and will possibly lose his job, not for being a racist, but for being “dumb enough to get caught.”

• Bijan Parsia says:

I wonder about this.

I agree that they strain hard for deniability (plausible or otherwise) or outright denial. But being accused of racism gives them the chance to pull “but the real racists are the antiracists” line. People being a bit too bald about their racist give them an opportunity to bolster their anti-racism cred (to acquire, as it were, an amulet of anti-racism).

As Ta-Nehisi Coates pointed out that Derb said:

I am a homophobe, though a mild and tolerant one, and a racist, though an even more mild and tolerant one

So he didn’t feel the need to avoid the label!

9. Timb says:

For real hilarity, hop out of the boat and the neo-Confederate POV

Shorter McCain, if you get rid of racists, then the Left wins

10. MG says:

“One thing we know about contemporary racists is that they hate to be seen as racists.”

Yes, because we all know that racists are so freaking subtle. Give me a break!

• joe from Lowell says:

Are you really this unaware of how contemporary “anti-anti-racism” works?

Have you been asleep for the past three years? What do you think accusing Obama himself, or Sonia Sotomayor, of being a racist is all about?

What do you think the elevation of the word “colorblind” by affirmative action opponents is all about?

Why do you think every wingnut troll on the internet talks so much about Robert Byrd?

Pay attention, fer chrissakes.

• Spud says:

They are very subtle these days. Did you get the memo? They talk about race but don’t mention it directly.

Nowadays, rather than defending a racist position, they talk about their opponents “playing the race card”.

Its easier to write laws to harass brown people when you say it is dealing with immigration.

Its easier to disenfranchise poor blacks by calling it voter ID laws or talking about ACORN

What was birtherism besides racist claptrap?

I live in a world where people say racist shit all the time. Let me say Derbyshire is the rule, not the exception.

Because your world is full of the dumber more obvious racists.

11. mark f says:

I checked Instapundit and, believe it or not, Glenn Reynolds admits that “everybody knows” a major national magazine is “a hotbed of racism.”

Sure, it’s Time, because their reporter asked Nikki Haley a dumb question about Sikh cab drivers, but baby steps I suppose.

Unrelated, but he thinks women with whom he disagrees should be run over with cars. No, really; he pretty much says it explicitly.

12. Tehanu says:

I can’t fathom these people’s — and I use the term advisedly — “minds.” According to them Obama inflames racism by the mere mention of the fact that he’s black, but Derbyshire (whose name btw is a standing insult to the good people of that beautiful English county) is merely uttering “truths” all us pasty-faced whiteys should acknowledge. I thought Stephen Colbert was parodying the “I have a black friend!” thing; Derbyshire, not content with being a disgusting pedophile, is teaching it to innocent children.

• mythago says:

Not even “I have a black friend,” but, “I have a black friend, whose friendship I deliberately sought out in order to deflect attacks on my racism.”

13. N__B says:

“Needless to say” because what’s the point in stating a transparent lie that does nothing to further your goals?

14. Every minute that Derbyshire retains his position of employment there confirms the notion that this is mainstream conservative thought in action.

15. Woodrowfan says:

“Obamagate”???? WTF is “Obamagate”?

16. Denise says:

Wow. I just heard about this Derbyshire article earlier today. Zowie! People sure are flipping out!

All this HYSTERIA. Al the fierce denunciations.

I’ve read all kinds of reactions.

I have yet, however, to read ONE post anywhere refuting his content.

So many Comments are closed, in so many forums.
    Could one of you humour me, with a refutation of Derbyshire’s content?

Thanks ever so much.

• Malaclypse says:

Could you please refute my claim that you are a useless troglodyte who feels the need to hide her obvious failings in feelings of “white pride”? Be specific, and use examples.

• ckc (not kc) says:

…you forgot to say “Thanks ever so much.”

• Denise says:

LOL! Thanks for proving my point! Childish, rather unimaginative insults, but no actual discussion of content.

So, dear, where do you live? Inner City Detroit? East St Louis, MO?

Why not?

I’ll try again. Please tell me why Derbyshire’s Rebuttal to the Black Fantasist “Talk” is factually incorrect?

Thanks ever so much.

• GeoX says:

Yeah! Someone needs to refute Derbyshire’s cogent, rational point that black people are all violent savages who should be avoided at all costs! It’s a wewy, vewy, important argument to have!

• Murc says:

You know what? I’m feeling saucy this evening, I’m going to try engagement.

So, dear, where do you live? Inner City Detroit? East St Louis, MO?

Why not?

Well, I was born out east, nowhere near either of those two locations, and haven’t really ever had reason to leave my native city.

But even if I had, I wouldn’t want to live in either of those two places. They’re high-crime areas with crumbling infrastructure. This is because they’re inhabited by lots of people who live in desperate, endemic poverty and who have traditionally been underserved by their local, state, and federal governments. That’s the sort of thing that leads to… high crime rates and crumbling infrastructure.

Not sure what that has to do with the discussion at hand, tho.

• JohnP says:

Funny how that works. Blacks took over Detroit, whites fled, suddenly “blacks are mired in poverty and underserved by the governments they constitute.”

A real stumper.

• Malaclypse says:

So, you have no evidence that you are not a useless troglodyte? So you are in fact covering your painfully obvious deficiencies by reassuring yourself that at least you are not a savage black? I am sorry you seem unwilling to debate this timely point of discussion with reasoning and evidence.

Thanks ever so much.

• ckc (not kc) says:

…go ask Rich Lowry

• Sigh says:

“Black Fantasist ”

Racists are so awesome.

• Effin' (Racial) Trinket says:

And may the white race be ever in your favor! [/sarcasm]

• Sigh says:

Black people aren’t actually all that scary. People call people like Derb racist because he thinks he needs black friends to deflect against the charge, so, no, that particular “amulet” won’t help him. It’s not an injustice that black people can say the n-word and Derb’s kids can’t. There’s a lot more. Keep concern trolling and–zowie!–people will explain it to you. (Why do people like you always act like the flurry of condemnation of racism a la Derb is somehow evidence of his lack of racism?)

• joe from Trowell says:

Teaching your kids to secure their personal safety by draw conclusions about individual situations based on racial prejudice and stereotyped thinking is not only morally repugnant, but actively harmful to them. Such a process is bound to create vastly more false positives and false negatives than developing a more reality-based way of navigating the world, leaving you both more vulnerable, and confined within a narrower, duller life. And by inculcating these false beliefs and habits, he is actively dissuading his children from developing that more individual- and reality-based way of living and understanding, leaving them even more bereft.

You know, something that happens when you leave your little bubble is that you discover that questions you and your buddies all agreed were unanswerable are actually trivially easy to others.

• JohnP says:

How? How is it harmful?

Sounds pretty abstract. Not getting the Knoxville Horror treatment, the Duke Lacrosse treatment, the “mahogany mob” treatment, etc., in contrast, seems pretty concrete.

Bereft of imaginary, pseudo-intellectual bullshit, and bereft of black violence. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

• DrDick says:

Please provide even one shred of empirical, statistical evidence that what he said is true. Otherwise, what Malaclypse said.

• Murc says:

When someone says the sky is red and the earth is flat, I don’t feel the need to refute their assertions before pointing and laughing.

17. Anonymous says:

We’ll meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when,
    But I know we’ll meet again, some sunny day.
    Keep smiling through, just like you always do,
    ‘Til the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.

18. Rob says:

So does Tucker Carlson announce Derb’s hiring on Monday or does his give it a day and wait until Tuesday?

19. AlexD says:

The Derb is the toast according to Lowry’s latest “we never” post at the Corner

20. Frankie says:

Blacks have 50 nations in Africa. Africa has the greatest concentration of resources on the planet.

Africa has the most fertile soil on the planet. Blacks are the most populous racial group on the planet.

Whites are a global minority and blacks live among us as a minority.

After decades of race hustling we even made one president.

What more do you want us to do for you?

21. Dan says:

A different angle.

Haiti is an independent republic. It has existed since it wrote and ratified a perfect antiracist constitution in 1803. Banning slavery, sexual discrimination, racial discrimination. A veritable wish list of progressive ideals enshrined into law. Within two years 1805 to be exact the black Haitians murdered every white on the Island. Man woman and child. All 5,000 of them. In effect Haiti is East St Louis, Detroit on steroids. They need hand outs to simply survive. Competent whites were effectively chased out
    of the cities they built. Ruin — All for the sake of equality.

• Timb says:

It’s your thesis that Haiti is a failure because of the skin color of the people living there? Hell, don’t stop there, friend. The Democratic Republic of Congo exists and it’s even IN Africa! Tell us, please, what other countries are doomed because they have dark skin. Please

• JohnP says:

It’s his thesis that Haiti is a “failure” because it’s populated by sub-Saharan Africans. The skin color, and the “failure,” are both owed to that fact.

• GeoX says:

Oh, so his thesis is something that only a dimwitted cretin would believe. Well, I guess we knew that.

• Timb says:

How could such a thesis be proved? Humans are genetically similar. Race is a social construct with no basis in genetic differences.

Haiti shares an island with the DR, which is markedly better off, despite the same populace. Only a moron would think these sub-Saharan Africans who out-smarted all those white people they killed were inferior.

Not to mention, the President is half sub-Saharan African and he’s wickedly smarter than your cracker ass

• mythago says:

That’s not actually a different angle.

22. Dan says:

Instead of E St Louis or Detroit… Just try Baltimore or Newark. May the knockoutking hit you on the back of the head and the pavement whoosh up to meet your skull. Top of the morning to you.

• Timb says:

Dan, you don’t know ANY African-Americans? None? You live in this world of stereotypes and anecdotes about places you’re afraid to go and never been?

Just to add to your list, Sanford, Florida, where private citizens murder you and the ops let them go.

23. [...] There’s a lot of this IQ racialism lurking around the conservative movement (as well as the brave contrarians like Andrew Sullivan, whom I mock here). And even if they think they’re just being ‘bold intellectual explorers’ or some other bullshit (never mind that they never address serious methodological and statistical problems with IQ), many who cheer them on are nothing but despicable racists. [...]

24. JohnP says:

And you censor comments, owing to some moral defect that I can’t possibly fathom.

Anyhoo, we going to discuss what was wrong about Derb’s article? As in, what facts or conclusions he proffered were immoral, unethical, or untrue, with an explanation as to why they were objectionable?

I figured I’d ask before I even bothered to read the comments. Call it an educated guess.

25. JohnP says:

See what I mean? Liberalism in a nutshell: all “dirty” feelings, emotions, “cringes,” etc; zero substance. No real thinking at all. Just platitudes from their Narrative. A religion, essentially. I do admire how you guys moved from a big book of scripture, to a big TeeVee of platitudes, though. That’s progress, I suppose.

Wow, that’s a lot of long words

Yeah, we know. Oh look, Sesame Street is on! You’re excused.

Right. Because truth=racism.

“Pasty white.” Is that like “darkie,” but for American-Americans?

Malaclypse: ni hao ma?

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
      . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
      . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
      . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
      . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
      . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
      . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
      . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
      . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
      ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
      . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
      . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–

• Hogan says:

“Pasty white.” Is that like “darkie,” but for American-Americans?

I’m sure someone as well informed as you would know if it were.

• Malaclypse says:

American-Americans

Noted without comment.

26. JohnP says:

I have a thought experiment for you guys. Okay, so we know all the liberal true believers know that government crime statistics, logic, etc., amount to “the sky is red,” so, no need to get your halos bent out of shape refuting the equivalent of “Santa Claus is real.”

But what about the children? What about the poor, unenlightened souls who don’t know to dismiss the arguments without considering them? What do we do, when some naive, innocent, vulnerable soul who doesn’t have liberal bigotry down pat wanders into the room?

Don’t you guys have a moral duty to debunk the claims being made? To, you know, protect budding young minds, and stuff? Or do you just callously throw these people to the wolves of spurious racism?

Hell, might they not get the impression, from your “hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil” routine that you have no arguments to make? Beyond, “how can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat,” I mean.

• Malaclypse says:

Don’t you have a moral duty to show us that you have stopped fucking goats?

• DrDick says:

Let us know when you have perfected that experiment and are actually capable of thought. Must be a really slow day over at Stormfront, what with everybody out burning crosses for Easter and looking for n****rs and Jews to lynch.

27. ckc (not kc) says:

I have a thought experiment for you guys.

Keep experimenting – you haven’t quite got it.

28. [...] see Dawg, Elspeth Reeve, Josh Barro, John Holbo, Maureen O’Connor, Rob Farley, Scott Lemieux, Charles Johnson, and the readers of National Review who, contra Starburst Lowry, [...]