Wedding Gifts

[ 37 ] October 4, 2011 |

Take lessons from Farley, because he’s doing it right.

It’s especially appropriate that this arrived in time for what might be the greatest day of the year, Yankee Elimination Day! Although the pictured quantity is not nearly sufficient for any game involving Jose Mesa Valverde and a 1-run lead.
Superficially, the elimination seems likely to occur — an elimination game at home against Mr. A.J. Burnett seems like a great scenario. The problem is Rich Porcello, who’s just as bad as Burnett. Actually worse, since while Burnett at least misses bats and has some upside, Procello is the kind of Twins-style pitch-to-contact guy the Yankees specialize in beating the shit out of. This seems like a battle of bullpens, and the Yankees have an edge there.

Prove me wrong again, Tigers, prove me wrong!

…could Leyland ease up on the damn bunting? They may let Burnett off the hook even if he doesn’t have any command.

1. Scott Lemieux says:

The bottom of the first inning has been defined by terrible percentage managerial moves. Although giving A.J. an out worse than walking Cabrera.

2. Colin says:

Take lessons from Farley

Nevermind Farley – I’m taking lessons from you. And that lesson is: invite Farley to weddings.

3. howard says:

Amazingly i’m about to board a flight: the yanks will have to attempt to win it without me!

4. Landru says:

Ha! Liquor Barn. I often pass the outlet on Man O’ War on a shortcut from my favorite restaurant (my business is out in the country, and Lexington is a treat, since it’s got stuff that hain’t Cracker Barrel) to the next stop on the way out of town.

I’ve thought about stopping by, but I’d probably have trouble getting a nice bottle like that one through TSA–even at LEX, the friendliest checkpoint in the USA.

5. Rob says:

Scott, I have the misfortune of having to see Ron Roenicke have Nyjer Morgan bunt Corey Hart/Rickie Weeks over any time he got on in the 1st. Yes Morgan of the .304/.357/.421 line. And this would include bunting over a lead off double.

6. 4jkb4ia says:

Who is this impostor who had two good outings in a row?

7. Thers says:

Detroit’s bullpen might make you want another one of those bottles.

• Scott Lemieux says:

Not only that, but the Tiger hitters seem to be emulating the same approach that works so well for the Twins against the Yankees (“let’s try to get out of here in less than 70 pitches, boys!”)

8. Thers says:

They’re not going to use Verlander…? OK, I can see that. Wait. What?

9. Thers says:

Two runs forked over via a balk & a wild pitch. That’s just embarrassing.

10. Rob's wife says:

Mentioning our present in the same post that you dis my Yankees?!?? Low class. Just see what we get you for a present for your next wedding — perhaps a can of Coke.

11. [...] Read More: Wedding Gifts : Lawyers, Guns & Money [...]

12. rea says:

God, what an awful game, says the resident Tiger fan. But you’re semi-wrong about Valverde–he hasn’t actually blown a one-run lead (or any save situation) all year. He’s just pretty scarey sometime, not blowing it.

13. c u n d gulag says:

If Granderson doesn’t make that catch in the first, the bases are clear, man on 3rd with no one out, AJ’s pulled, and he goes straight to NY talk radio and tabloid newspaper Hell.

And I think that’s worse than all but the very worst of Dante’s circles.

And the Yankees might very well be on their way to a loss.

And I’d like to thank all of the teams that use ‘pitch to contact’ pitchers against us.

To those of you who hate the Yankees and need some hope, Nova, tomorrow’s pitcher, at 24, isn’t exactly a strike-out machine. And in the Game 1A, he faced the rightie line-up Leyland set up to face CC, so I don’t expect Nova to have an easy time of it.
    Fister picked-up his SO rate coming to Detroit, so he’s less ‘pitch to contact’ than he was in Seattle.
    But, who knows, right!
    But, it’s ‘All hands on deck,’ and the Yanks pen is deeper, so I still like their chances.

Keeping my finger crossed.

PS: I’ve had that bourbon, and that’s some damn fine sippin’ whiskey.

14. A.J. Burnett, ladies and gentlemen. A.J. Burnett.

15. mds says:

Nice bottle, but “whisky” is obviously a typo. Doesn’t Liquor Barn do any … proof reading?

• rea says:

Everyone knows it’s “ousque”

• mds says:

Well, “uisge” is probably closer. :-P But my initial application of leaden internet pedantry was due to American whiskey using the “e.” Which would also work well for keeping whisky distinct from fermented corn mash drinks, if it weren’t for the Irish.

16. Epicurus says:

While we agree on many subjects, the greatest franchise in baseball history (prove me wrong!) is not one of them. So sorry to disappoint, but my Yanks did a nice job of dismantling Detroit last night. I don’t think the Tigers will get past us tomorrow, but only time will tell. Cheers!

17. Gern Blanston says:

That’s a superior bourbon. It’s got almost fruity notes. Very unusual.

18. I think you need to try tangling on a red velvet cake next year ;)Best of both worlds!

cupcake topper