See you in hell, rinderpest

[ 11 ] October 14, 2010 |

Nice:

Scientists working for the UN say that they have eradicated a virus which can be deadly to cattle.

If confirmed, rinderpest would become only the second viral disease – after smallpox – to have been eliminated by humans.

Rinderpest is prevalent in the Middle East, Africa and Asia.

The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has said that it will now suspend its efforts to track and eliminate the virus.

The FAO said it was “confident” the virus has been eradicated from those parts of the world where it is prevalent.

When the disease arrived in Africa at the end of the nineteenth century between 80% and 90% of cattle and buffalo on the continent were killed.

The eradication of the virus has been described as the biggest achievement in veterinary history and one which will save the lives and livelihoods of millions of the poorest people in the world.

Of course the real winner here will be Jenny McCarthy, who is now free to devote herself to the global scourge of vaccine-induced bovine autism.

1. wengler says:

The Birchers/TeaPartiers were right! Destroy the UN!

2. Malaclypse says:

First they came for the viruses, and I did not speak, for I was not a virus…

3. Stag Party Palin says:

“The methane! The methane! ……” [thump]

4. Anderson says:

I had never even heard of the rinderpest epidemic in Africa until a year or so ago, and I am not the least well-read kid on the block.

Just another example of how little one learns about Africa without going out of one’s way to do so.

• Fats Durston says:

Not in my world history classes, dammit! (At least if you pay attention.) Rinderpest–the impact, not the micro-organism–appears on some of my tests.

5. Tom M says:

First, what a great line.

Second, if I were, you know, like a certain chubby writer (!) at NatRev, I might think you were implying that Ms Jenny was a bit of a, well, you said it!

6. Mrs Tilton says:

This is just one more overt act in the conspiracy to make Ulysses appear dated.

7. Jeremy says:

Weird. The block of text quoted here states: “Rinderpest is prevalent in the Middle East, Africa and Asia.”

But the BBC article now has ‘was’. I don’t know why, but this really bothers me. I guess I’d picked it out as an error/curious part of the reportage and they went and changed it on me, but there’s no notice of editing. Do news sites do this sort of thing a lot?

8. cpinva says:

not to be nit picky or anything, but how does one tell the difference?