Indeedy…

[ 32 ] September 7, 2010 |

Via Matt, Marty’s on a bit of a roll today:

But, frankly, Muslim life is cheap, most notably to Muslims. And among those Muslims led by the Imam Rauf there is hardly one who has raised a fuss about the routine and random bloodshed that defines their brotherhood. So, yes, I wonder whether I need honor these people and pretend that they are worthy of the privileges of the First Amendment which I have in my gut the sense that they will abuse.

I like the “pretend that.” It’s nice to see some clarity from Marty is apparently decided on the question of whether Muslims are actually worthy of the privileges of the First Amendment (apparently not), and is now concerned only with the question of whether he needs to pretend that they’re human while in polite society.

1. Aaron says:

Did he get similarly bent out of shape when the feds raided the polygamous FLDS compound in Texas, or is that the type of religiosity he has no problem supporting?

2. El Cid says:

When we were bombing most of Indochina and slaughtering millions, it was okay because they didn’t value human life as much as we did.

3. J.W. Hamner says:

That is a breathtakingly vile sentiment. It’s wrong on so many levels (worthy of the 1st Amendment!? WTF does that even mean?) that I have trouble wrapping my head around it.

4. I wasn’t aware of any Bill of Privileges. A rather telling slip there.

5. Davis says:

He turns my stomach. I have not actually read anything with his name on it for a very long time. Close minded? No, bigots turn my stomach.

6. Peter VE says:

“But, frankly, Muslim life is cheap, most notably to Muslims Israelis.” fixed

7. John Protevi says:

Privileges? Did he really say the “privileges” of the First Amendment?

8. SeanH says:

What an appallingly graceless bit of goalpost-shifting. Peretz has presumably gathered enough mental clarity to be aware that accusing Rauf of insufficient anti-terrorism credentials is idiotic, so he needs to switch to unfalsifiable attacks on “those Muslims led by” him. What a turd.

Sadly, among those Jews led by Marty Peretz, there is hardly one who etc etc

9. Tom says:

I find it increasingly difficult to read The New Republic at all while Peretz is allowed to spout his bigoted nonsense over there. Am I right in thinking that he doesn’t actually own the magazine anymore? If so, for what reason does he get his own platform?

• SEK says:

I just try to remind myself that it’s possible that there’s a Chinese wall between the editorial and arts staff. I have no proof that that’s true, I just want it to be.

10. Matt says:

This is an interesting principle – does it mean that we can (correspondingly) deny Evangelical churches tax-exempt status since we know (“in our gut”) that they’re going to preach hatred and intolerance? Do the teabaggers REALLY want to start down this path?

11. Malaclypse says:

But, frankly, Muslim pundit life is cheap, most notably to Muslims pundits. And among those Muslims pundits led by the Imam Rauf Marty Peretz there is hardly one who has raised a fuss about the routine and random bloodshed bloodthirsty aggression that defines their brotherhood. So, yes, I wonder whether I need honor these people and pretend that they are worthy of the privileges of the First Amendment which I have in my gut the sense that they will abuse.

12. El Cid says:

Again, in this country, it’s perfectly okay in mainstream discourse to advocate the removal of Constitutional rights, extralegal oppression, murder, and even genocide (ethnoreligiocide?) against Arabs and Muslims, but oh holy Hell if you say anything askance about Israels or Jews or Judaism, because they’re humans and the aforementioned aren’t. No one from the billion dollar media empires will throw you out of their publication, or off their broadcast shows as a commentator.

• Malaclypse says:

oh holy Hell if you say anything askance about Israels or Jews

Curiously, this rule does not seem to apply to Pat Buchanan.

• John F says:

No it doesn’t, of course the “odd” thing is that by all appearances Pat is anti-Israeli because he is actually anti-semitic, but he gets a pass, but if anyone else comments on Israel’s west bank settlements, rightwing settler behavior, the Wall, etc., they are immediate;y branded as anti-semites
        odd…

• jesus wept says:

“oh holy Hell if you say anything askance about Israel or Jews”
      and this is the problem with the hatred and bigotry on cable…you cannot criticize the other side

13. Murc says:

Oh man, it gets even better if you read the full piece.

Liberal political theory has virtually ignored the philosophical, legal and ethical questions posed by the threatening demographics of Europe.

That’s right out of the Mark Levin playbook. (Also its wrong.) Goooood stuff. The entire screed is… disjointed. He mentions that there haven’t been a lot (actually, he asserts that there haven’t been ‘any’, which is so sweeping I find it baffling) of overtly racist rallies in the States that are specifically targeted against Muslims and Arabs in general, as opposed to things that happen in Europe. That’s fairly garden-variety American exceptionalism… except he pivots it into implying that -this is a bad thing because people AREN’T organizing giant anti-Muslim rallies because they’re afraid of being accused of hate and bias.

Like that’s a BAD thing.

The man keeps getting crazier and crazier. Honestly. It’s to the point where I have to wonder what happened to him. Marty doesn’t seem like a huckster or a media whore. This stuff is actually SINCERE. He’s not like Glenn Beck; he’s the guy in the crowd. And that kind of makes me angry, but also kind of makes me sad.

14. DrDick says:

Nice to see Marty embracing his inner genocidal Nazi. Always so becoming in someone of Jewish descent.

15. Hogan says:

When will people learn that First Amendment rights are privileges, not rights?

16. hv says:

The saddest thing to me is how fragile and brittle he imagines free speech and free religion to be.

I imagine his worst case scenario is Muslims using freedom to make more Muslims or to make them more violent. As if the Western world was politely refraining from violent demagoguery up until now… and Muslims are exposing a loophole in our whole freedom system.

17. So, yes, I wonder whether I need honor these people and pretend that they are worthy of the privileges of the First Amendment which I have in my gut the sense that they will abuse.

Fortunately it is not up to you. Fuckstick.

Or to put it another way: You go back to looking for your cock and refuse to honor the 1st Amendment rights of all the icky people you don’t like. Whine. Stamp your feet. Hold your breath ’til you turn dead.

Hell, you can even call the rights “privileges,” you unwashed illiterate bug fucker.

See if it means dick to a tree.

18. Xenocrates says:

At what point does this little worm start referring to Muslims as “Untermenschen”?? The irony in a Jew behaving like a Nazi is really too rich…but he’s sadly not alone. Peretz is a disgraceful bigot, and should be roundly condemned as such. Unfortunately, he has a lot of competition for the title of World’s Stupidest Human Being.