Bandidos Yanquis

[ 16 ] September 15, 2010 |

I have to say that I am shocked, shocked by the general level of evil and ill will demonstrated by Yankee partisans:

A curious phenomenon has emerged at the intersection of fashion, sports and crime: dozens of men and women who have robbed, beaten, stabbed and shot at their fellow New Yorkers have done so while wearing Yankees caps or clothing.

One of the three suspects in the gym break-ins wore a blue Yankees cap. A security camera photographed the man who tried to rob the Bronx bank, and though his face was largely obscured, his Yankees hat was clearly visible. The Queens robbery suspect was last seen with a Yankees cap on his head.

In some ways, it is not surprising that Yankees attire is worn by both those who abide by the law and those who break it. The Yankees are one of the most famous franchises in sports, and their merchandise is widely available and hugely popular.

But Yankees caps and clothing have dominated the crime blotter for so long, in so many parts of the city and in so many types of offenses, that it defies an easy explanation.

I can see at least two problems in the above text:

In some ways, it is surprising that Yankees attire is worn by those who abide by the law. That Yankees caps and clothing have dominated the crime blotter for so long, in so many parts of the city and in so many types of offenses, is easily explained by the evil nature of the Yankees fan.

Fixed it for you.

UPDATE: I used to think that this picture was cute.  Now I worry that Miriam is just looking for something to steal.

Our 70-521 prep courses & 70-669 includes the latest set of 70-294 practice questions and MB6-288 dumps with 100% guarantee for victory in 70-512.

1. Andrew says:

Visual display of the relationship between payroll size and win percentage in the majors this year:

2. Auguste says:

In some ways, it is surprising that Ducks attire is worn by those who abide by the law. That Ducks helmets and uniforms have dominated the crime blotter for so long, in so many parts of the city and in so many types of offenses, is easily explained by the evil nature of the Ducks player.

Fixed fixed it for you for you.

3. John says:

God, this is the stupidest New York Times trends story yet. Seriously?

4. TT says:

Mass, systematic frame-up by a bunch of frigging chowdaheads. No other explanation makes sense.

5. mch says:

Get over it, Red Sox Nation. The Red Sox are too good (and too expensive themselves) for this narrow focus of resentment on the Yankees. I swear, this is all part of the hype of the 90′s consumerist rescue of baseball. Or have RS fans always really and truly been obsessed with the Yankees? As a life-long, die-hard Yankees fan (ultimately, because my grandfather in Minnesota/Montana became a fan, via radio, in the 1920′s — yes, the House that Ruth Built) growing up in NJ in the 50′s/60′s (my only World Series game with my father in 1960: Pittsburgh, 10-0 — I was 10), the Red Sox were just another team out there (with some really great players), not the Satanic Other. After more than 30 years here in western MA (the real thing: the Berkshires), with its mix of Red Sox and Yankees’ fans (are the latter the reason Boston ignores us?), and its avid culture of supporting the real game — the game people actually PLAY (kids being coached by dads and moms, and by former triple-A players for all sorts of MLB teams): my theory is that if Red Sox fans could just get over the Yankees, then this fair commonwealth might actually start to function decently.

• PSP says:

The resentment well predates the 90s. BFD day is October 2d.

• John says:

I think people who grew up as fans of any other AL team from the 30s to the 60s grew up hating the Yankees, and that this hatred for the Yankees was capable of revival when the Yankees got good again. My dad is from Cleveland and hates the Yankees – both in the late 70s and then, and more permanently, in the 90s. I grew up in Orioles country (sort of – Senators left 9 years before my birth and the Nationals came in a few years after I’d stopped living there), and everyone hated the Yankees.

Red Sox fans seem to have claimed a special hatred for the Yankees, but I think it only gets more attention because a) the Red Sox have been good for the past few years; and b) there’s a lot of geographical overlap in places like Connecticut, western Mass, and upstate New York between Red Sox and Yankees fans

• gmack says:

What PSP and John say are true, but Yankee hatred is even more widespread than that. To my knowledge Rob and most others here have no special love for the Red Sox. And I don’t even much care about baseball at all, but I still hate the Yankees, and now, with this Times article, have good reason to run in fear from anyone wearing their logo. So perhaps Red Sox fans should just get over it, and I will grant that they can be insufferable now too (particularly now that the Sox have a good time). But that still doesn’t address the fact that those wearing Yankee apparel are simply out to steal all of my stuff.

6. Juliet says:

My 13-year-old nephew came from his home in Michigan to spend some time with me in London earlier this year. One day while we were going somewhere on the bus he commented, “There sure are a lot of people here who are fans of the New York Yankees.”

“Well,” I said, “I think there are a lot of people here who are fans of hip-hop.”

“Ohhhhh,” he said.

7. Matt Stevens says:

This reminds me of Frederic Wertham’s observation that — OMG! — many juvenile delinquents read comic books.

8. Kal says:

Fuck the Yankees. That said, re Boston, check out the #1 distinguishing thing that white people, or at least white women, like: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-real-stuff-white-people-like/

• elm says:

Fascinating link. I’m most disturbed by the fact that Justin Timberlake is apparently one of the few celebrities with cross-racial appeal.

9. I thought criminals favored Oakland Raiders gear.

10. Xenos says:

Can we blame the Baseball Furies on George Steinbrenner?

The Warriors vs. the Baseball Furies