That Will Solve All Your Problems

[ 7 ] September 29, 2008 |

Shorter Bill Kristol: To win, the Drama King needs more drama.

1. Evan says:

We face a real financial crisis. Usually the candidate of the incumbentis party minimizes the severity of the nationis problems. McCain should break the mold and acknowledge, even emphasize the crisis. He can explain that dealing with it requires candor and leadership of the sort heis shown in his career. McCain can tell voters weire almost certainly in a recession, and things will likely get worse before they get better.
    Oh, please, please, please let McCain do this.

2. Evan says:

Sorry about that. Forgot to close.

3. Cass says:

Next debate, perhaps, he can be interrupted mid-sentence by an urgent cell phone call (that’ll impress the youngsters) from the Federal Reserve chairman, pleading with him to leave this debate behind (at whatever cost to his campaign) and COME SAVE THE AMERICAN ECONOMY NOW.

4. cleter says:

…and McCain will hang up, shout “Country First!” and run off the stage. Stunned silence. Obama will say, “Excuse me a moment,” and take out his own cell phone, and, standing at the lectern, he’ll call the Fed chairman.
    “Hi Ben, it’s Barack. Fine, thanks, how are you? Hey, listen–did you just call Senator McCain? ‘Cause he said you called, and then he ran off. No, we’re still at the debate–he ran out right in the middle, said you called him. No? Really? You don’t even have his number? Huh. Yeah, you’re right, probably just another one of his zany stunts. Well, listen, I didn’t mean to interrupt you at your son’s soccer game. I’ll let you go. Give my best to Millicent. Thanks Ben. Bye now.”
    And then into the stunned silence in the hall, The Next President of the United States will say, “My fellow Americans, the choice is clear. You can have a president who takes your problems seriously, or a president who engages in insulting stunts. Now, Charlie, I’d be happy to take some more questions.”
    And Charlie Gibson will say, “Oh, I don’t think we need any more questions. I think everyone knows all they need to know at this point.”

5. kth says:

ha, ha, Kristol has a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell

6. eric says:

So when Bill Kristol suggests that McCain “free [Palin] to use her political talents and to communicate in her own voice,” I presume he means such pearls of communicative and political wisdom as this:

We have trade missions back and forth, we do. ItâAos very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? ItâAos Alaska. ItâAos just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.

I don’t think there is enough cowbell in the world to cure Kristol’s fever.