Earl Weaver RIP

[ 30 ] January 19, 2013 |

The great Earl Weaver has passed.

Earl Weaver, the fiery Hall of Fame manager who won 1,480 games with theBaltimore Orioles, has died, the team says. He was 82.

Weaver was traveling on an Orioles fantasy cruise in the Caribbean when he collapsed in his room with wife, Maryanne, at his side on the cruise’s ship at about 2 a.m. Saturday, the New York Daily News reported.

Weaver never regained consciousness, the report said.

1. mark f says:

Here’s hoping the third Baltimore death of this weekend will be Ray Lewis’s career, out with a whimper.

2. sleepyirv says:

“A manager’s job is simple. For one hundred sixty-two games you try not to screw up all that smart stuff your organization did last December.”
    One of the most quotable, irascible, intelligent men ever to manage a major league team.

3. JMG says:

“The toughest thing in baseball is a night game the day after a day game,” — Earl Weaver.

4. c u n d gulag says:

Man, how I hated those old Orioles who used to use my Yankees like a practice squad from the mid-60′s to mid-70′s.

Respected the Hell out of them, Weaver, and “The Oriole Way,” at the same time.
    You had to – they were THAT good!

IMHO – those late 60′ to early-mid 70′s Orioles, managed by Weaver, were some of the most under-rated as a dynasty by a lot of Baseball fans, and people who should know better.

R.I.P. “The Earl of Baltimore.”
    Somewhere, he’s starting a tomato patch right now!

And planning on how he’ll handle Jim Pamer when he gets there – and how he can make his afterlife as a pitcher as miserable as possible, when Palmer comes up with some malady or other as an excuse not to pitch that day. ;-)

• efgoldman says:

They did pretty much the same to the Red Sox (and everybody else.)
      I hated the Orioles, but I never hated Earl

5. snarkout says:

Obligatory. (Also, “There are only three outs per inning. Give one away and you are making everything harder for yourself.” may be the two smartest sentences ever uttered by a coach.)

6. Hogan says:

His whole managing career was kind of an Orioles fantasy cruise.

7. “Pitching, fundamentals, and three-run home runs.” — words to live by.

8. kgus says:

• cpinva says:

i remember the first time i ever saw him do that (i’m sure he’d done it before, i just didn’t see it), watching a game on tv. cracked me up. i’m a die hard yankees fan, but you had to appreciate a guy like weaver.

“In memoriam: I’m taking my best plate, putting it outside, and kicking dirt on it.”

seems fitting, for him to go out on an orioles’ fantasy cruise.

9. [...] Earl Weaver RIP (lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com) [...]

10. Michael Confoy says:

I remember how he could put competitive teams on the field in the years of free agency with teams that had only one great player — such as the 1982 O’s that only had Eddie Murray and an aging Jim Palmer, yet finished one game out of first place winning 94 games brilliantly using Lowenstein and Roenicke in left field to combine for 45 homers and 140 RBIs, http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1982.shtml Perhaps his most brilliant season when compared to the teams spending so much more on free agents.

Or look at 1980, winning 100 games and finishing second to the high spending Yankees by a team where everyone played their role, http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1980.shtml

We saw the same out of Buck Showalter this year, let’s hope he has the spirit of the Earl of Baltimore in him.

11. Alan in SF says:

Boog Powell’s hitting a towering home run and Earl is walking into baseball heaven right now.

12. Deggjr says:

“I gave Mike Cuellar more chances than my first wife.” after Cuellar complained Weaver didn’t give him a chance.

13. Davs says:

Clubhouse preacher to earl: “but I want to walk with The Lord”.

Earl: “I’d rather see you walk with the bases loaded”.

14. MW says:

He was a great manager for the Orioles, RIP.