Today, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders gave a speech in which he endorsed the following tenets of neoliberalism:
- Hillary Clinton, while to the right of Bernie Sanders, is infinitely and consequentially preferable to Donald Trump.
- Having someone who accepts climate science and who will ensure that Barack Obama’s aggressive clean air regulations are implemented, rather than a climate science denier who will dismantle them (and appoint Supreme Court justices who will limit the regulatory authority of the EPA) is extremely important.
- Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee for president because she received more votes in the Democratic primaries.
- It is important to have a president, like Hillary Clinton, who thinks that the Affordable Care Act should be expanded rather than one, like Donald Trump, who would sign whatever legislation Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell pass that undermines or destroys the ACA put on his desk.
- Having Hillary Clinton rather than Donald Trump fill Supreme Court vacancies is very important for a broad range of issues.
- “I am happy to tell you that at the Democratic Platform Committee which ended Sunday night in Orlando, there was a significant coming together between the two campaigns and we produced, by far, the most progressive platform in the history of the Democratic Party.”
For shame! But there is an explanation:
Bernie Sanders is an honorable man and I love and respect him. He didn't want to endorse Dear Leader Hillary. But, he was forced to do so.
— H. A. Goodman (@HAGOODMANAUTHOR) July 12, 2016
Alas, who forced him and how remains unspecified, but my guess is Debbie Wasserman-Schultz in the observatory with a candlestick.