This ginning up pretexts for conflict with Iran, after tensions were heightened by Trump unilaterally and senselessly tearing up a painstakingly negotiated bill, is…not good:
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that more evidence will be released soon to prove the administration’s assertion that Iran was responsible for attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last week.
Despite some skepticism from U.S. allies and Democrats, Pompeo said on Fox News that U.S. intelligence provided “unmistakable” evidence of Iranian culpability. He said “the world will come to see” much of the intelligence and data that led the administration to that conclusion.
“The American people should rest assured, we have high confidence with respect to who conducted these attacks, as well as half dozen other attacks throughout the world over the past 40 days,” he said.
But questions have swirled in recent days around the evidence and the interpretation of it, in part because allies and some members of Congress question the administration’s credibility.
And apparently we’re really getting the neocon gang back together:
I see no historical precedent suggesting this could go badly.